• This topic has 66 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Do you wash salad/fruit etc?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just noticed it on the packaging. Never done it. Not thinking of starting. Should I? Will I die?

Jamie
    Free Member

I considered this back in January last year. Ended up buying a cheap salad spinner.

Used it once.

It’s with Jesus now.

pondo

I’m going to say no and then never check this thread again – if there’s a reason to wash it I’d rather not know.

oldboy
    Free Member

I always wash fruit/salad, not because of insecticides – although that is a serious consideration – but because of what those picking the fruit might have on their hands! 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

Always wash.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Never.

sweepy
    Free Member

Never

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Had a client who was a fruit importer/grader for the big supermarkets. Advice was “believe me, if you knew what was used on this stuff (chemical wise) you WOULD wash it”. That was good enough for me. Washing only takes a few seconds. Haven’t grown any extra limbs or had any body parts fall off so must be working.

bob_summers

salad and fruit has packaging now?

Soak in a sink full of water with a few drops of grapefruit seed extract. Or spray liberally with Muc Off.

Mushrooms I just wipe the dirt off. Not sure if that’s healthy but hasn’t killed me yet.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, I do still wash my plums.

Ah, my coat! Bye now!

ste_t
    Free Member

Always. I work for one of the big pub companies and the majority of our fresh fruit and veg has to be sanitised before we use it.

It isn’t so much about the pesticides, more the fertilizers. There’s the small risk that they’re spraying ecoli all over your salad.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always wash it, always. It makes no difference if the packet says “washed ready to eat” because I just don’t believe it. I have seen inside a packing salad shed (nr Arelsford, Hants) and the machines they use wash tons of the stuff, but they do put through only 1st washed salad into the fully washed salad if they’ve got orders to fulfil.
    We have gone through 2 salad spinners in the last 7mths, damn things are rubbish these days.

Does rinsing under the tap count as washing ?
    The accepted wisdom is that hands need anti-bacterial soap.
    Is plain water good enough for salad ?

grizedaleforest

Bleach does the job.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no

wrightyson
    Free Member

Strawberries were shite, might have added a bit of flavour if they’d had a squirt of fairly liquid!

sbob
    Free Member

So to those that say they never wash, do you not eat stuff like celery?
    It’s always full of dirt.

Drac

Had a client who was a fruit importer/grader for the big supermarkets. Advice was “believe me, if you knew what was used on this stuff (chemical wise) you WOULD wash it

And you believed him. Don’t you think that just maybe he was telling an urban myth. Just how would the be able to sell food if it was covered in chemicals?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So to those that say they never wash, do you not eat stuff like celery?

No it’s the work of the devil

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Wash it in what? Rinse it in a bit of water? Fairly sure most produce is sprayed down with water anyway. So bit of a waste of time.

sweepy
    Free Member

Celery, just brush off any loose soil and dip it in hummus. Survived so far.

jon1973
    Free Member

I rinse stuff if it’s got dirt on it (like mushrooms) but if it looks clean I don’t bother.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wash it in what? Rinse it in a bit of water? Fairly sure most produce is sprayed down with water anyway. So bit of a waste of time.

Very much this. As if you could wash ‘e-coli’ off with a quick rinse!.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Totally depends what I buy and from where. Pre washed and prepared supermarket salad generally not. Things like whole lettuce or anything from organic market stall yes. Often a few bugs but in reality they won’t kill you. Supermarket fruit is often sprayed with pesticide for bugs and wax to make to look shiny, best to give it a wash or at least a quick rub on your shirt.

The gf bought some lovely cep mushrooms from an organic producer, then took a while cutting them into pieces and soaking them in vinegar, it was amazing the amount of bugs which emerged. The mushrooms where very tasty btw.

EDIT you wash stuff to take chemicals off, to remove grit / soil and insects. It’s a bit of a sad world that we are so used to supermarket ready to eat produce. Vegetables like lettuce have to have individual leaves washed, so if you buy a whole lettuce the inside cannot have been washed and if there are no bugs it’s because of lots of pesticide used in the production

nealglover
    Free Member

Never wash salad, veg or fruit.

The only thing I’m tempted to rinse are leeks as they often have sandy grit near the tops, but I’ve actually never bothered, most of it comes out in the pan, and the last bit won’t do anyone any harm.

I would like to think my attitude to this has contributed to my superhuman immune system, although it’s equally as likely I’m just storing up loads of superbugs in my system that are going to all strike at once and I’ll explode.

Looking forward to finding out which it is though !

jambalaya
    Free Member

@neal for leeks you can cut off the tops (make good soup with those) then holding root end put knife in vertically and run up to top end. Rotate 90 degrees then do same then wash the quartered fan (held together by root end) and then cut up as required – as you say it’s just generally a bit of sand like soil though.

nealglover
    Free Member

Sounds like the best way of cleaning them, but to be honest, I don’t think I will be bothering

I’m looking forward to the potential superbug explosion too much now :mrgreen:

zippykona

Stuff I grow gets well soaked as all the **** cats consider our veg patch a toilet.
    There’s tons of bugs floating on the surface after a few minutes in the sink.
    If it says wash on the pack I do.

shifter
    Free Member

I polish apples on my overalls like I’m Bob Willis warming up at the Pavilion End.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t wash, well apart from if it’s obviously got mud and bugs on it.

Any chemicals that have been on it aren’t going to nicely sit on the surface waiting for you to wash them off, they’ll be within the plant by the time you touch it. Likewise e-coli, assuming that you’ve got the nasty ones on there, then washing will reduce the quantity but not enough to stop it causing problems, and realistically it’s as likely to come from your hands as any other source.

I suspect the reason it says ‘wash’ is much along the lines of ‘may contain nuts’

CaptJon
    Free Member

I used to work on the produce section at a Tesco. I always give fruit and veg a wash.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wash the stuff whenever I can be bothered. I wash fruit in the office with hand soap and water because the filthy animals I work with grope every bit of fruit before choosing and very few wash their hands after pissing.

Jamie
    Free Member

This whole minefield could be avoided by just having a Mars Bar.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Yes -when I was kid there was a summer industry picking berries and I remember some of what went on and some of the the manky minks that worked in the berry fields.

prawny

Just potatoes, and sometimes lettuce/celery if there proper dirt on it. Other than that nah, cba.

bigjim

I used to work on an organic carrot farm and trust me you want to wash them! think I read somewhere that salad bags cause a significant proportion of food poisoning.

lister

Always wash stuff. Not bothered by dirt, but bioaccumulation of pesticides doesn’t sound like fun. And I’ve been in a wholesale greengrocers warehouse, it was hardly a pleasant and clean place.
    Washing doesn’t take long really. Not sure why you wouldn’t.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

@drac: Interesting interpretation of urban myth source. You really believe we are sold chemically free fruit and veg??

Radioactive zombie rhubarb and other fruit/vege nasties…..

Apologies for US source but vaguely relevant.

Jamie
    Free Member

When I want to back up my argument, I always go for a 3 year old article, from a US website, which relates to that countries agriculture setup.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely for the veg to have pesticides on it it would have to not have rained between the application of pesticides and harvesting, which seems unlikely. I seem to remember hearing from a farmer that they were only sprayed once fairly early on so pesticides should have been washed off.

As for dirt, just think how much of that ends up in your mouth whilst MTBing 🙂 Not sure how much pesticide is IN the veg anywy. Is there any such thing as systemic pesticide?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Do you wash salad/fruit etc?’ is closed to new replies.