Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Do you use CCleaner?
  • Cougar

For the time being, don’t. It’s been compromised.

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html

(I don’t advocate CCleaner in any case but that’s a longer conversation.)

Stoner
    Free Member

I used to. But then I used to run flakey OS. Since going wholly Chrome I laugh in the face of such puerile diversions! Hah!

All those wasted hours picking though firewalls and malawarebytes and antivirus etc etc. OS speedifiers, system cleaners, registry de-clutterers, memory unclungers…. all to keep a bloated porous* corpse of an OS from slumping into the abyss. What wasted hours.

* my analogy is failing on basic physical property grounds here.

Cougar

I used to run flaky OSes too. It was Windows about ten years ago.

Junkyard
    Free Member

two hours later, one system restore and a re install of Chrome later

Appreciate the heads up

tjagain

I too appreciate the heads up but unfortunately am to dim to work out if I am vulnerable. I have anolder version than the one that appears to be vulnerable and ran it recently. Should I be OK? How can I tell if I am at risk?
    In simple laymans terms if possible

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you open it there is a version number under where it says cccleaner when opened

If this has been updated – you need to do this manually between 15/08 and 12/09 [ not sure on last date but on the link] then you are compromised

essentially if it says v5.33 [ numbers also after this bit] then it is compromised

Solution is a system restore to before 15/08 or before you installed version v5.33

if neither apply you can update to v5.44 and will be fine though it may be prudent to just uninstall.

racefaceec90

thanks for the heads up also.

damn it mine was 5.33 have just updated to 5.34 but would it be better to do a factory reset do you think (am not fussed about loosing stuff as the important stuff i can re download again).

tjagain

Ta junkyard. mine is 5,27 so I guess I am OK

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up.

I barely use it any more anyway, as it seems to have negligible effect in recent years.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s worth noting that the 64-bit version wasn’t affected.

The solution from Piriform is just to install the latest version to fix – a system restore is probably not required.

Poopscoop

Wow, that’s a blast from the past.

Used to use it a fair amount bitd.

Good heads up op.

bruneep

deleted and scanned with malwarebytes, it picked it up and removed it

mattyfez

I read on the register that if you just update it to later version and run all the cleanup apps it’s sorted.

Should probably check mine but im so lazy at downloading new versions when it prompts me I’ve probably missed the compromised version.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar, I didn’t up date between 15/8 and now I’m not concerned. I’ll pass the message on to Madame.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Cheers for the PSA Cougar.
    Have passed to IT.
    I have Ver 5.29 phew!

footflaps

I used to. But then I used to run flakey OS. Since going wholly Chrome I laugh in the face of such puerile diversions! Hah!

But then you’re still stuck with Chrome….

racefaceec90

damn it i have tried to factory reset my toshiba satellite multiple times

each time the process starts as it should but then i get a message saying the process cannot be completed and it cancels and restores back to before.

do you think it’s this virus from ccleaner stopping me from doing it.

i would love to be able to wipe my hdd fully but i cannot as my laptop is my only pc.

goddamn viruses 😡

edit windows 10 and 64bit i should add

mattyfez

damn it i have tried to factory reset my toshiba satellite multiple times

each time the process starts as it should but then i get a message saying the process cannot be completed and it cancels and restores back to before.

i would love to be able to wipe my hdd fully but i cannot as my laptop is my only pc.

goddamn viruses

edit windows 10 and 64bit i should add

Have you tried running malware bytes?

Sledgehammer approach, you could download windows 10 from Microsoft, make a bootable USB drive and do a clean install rather than a system restore.

racefaceec90

ah thanks mattyfez

will try those options. am doing scans atm for viruses

it does suck that i m not very knowledgeable about pc stuff and also cannot format my hdd as it is being used (i do have a bootable usb win 10 drive).

mattyfez

Sorry are you trying a factory reset, or a system restore, a factory reset will delete everything.
    A system restore will restore to the last saved restore point, which relies on system restore being on, and there being a viable restore point to choose.

Anyhow malware bytes free version is a powerful little tool, and it certainly won’t hurt to install and run it in the meantime.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I do use it from time to time, though I disable any auto updating and auto scanning. Usually nags about an update when I run it and I don’t bother. Versions I’ve got are pre 5.33, plus are 64bit. Still, uninstall I think as trust is gone, plus reading that Avast own it makes me feel it will become bloated with their stuff or gets merged into Avast’s own products.

Main use has been for removing temp files and garbage that OS clean up tools can’t. Often free up a few GB with CCleaner. I don’t use it for the privacy cleaning though.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Only affecting 32 bit version

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, Malwarebytes seems to have gone a lot more premium and is bloating. Forces trial version on you, and installs a background service (which cranks up the CPU when running).

Cougar

Main use has been for removing temp files and garbage that OS clean up tools can’t.

TFC.

Forces trial version on you

No it doesn’t, unless it’s changed pretty recently. It’s just that the ‘no thanks’ is in small print.

dirtydog
    Free Member

No,your running 64 bit version, wasn’t affected.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator 
    No it doesn’t, unless it’s changed pretty recently. It’s just that the ‘no thanks’ is in small print.

Saw no option on install and only one download for Windows consumer version. Installed premium trial version. Have to then go into the My Account page and deactivate the trial to turn off the background protection stuff (I just want a basic app I can run on demand to scan, not bloat in the background or nagware about upgrading trial versions).

Installs a service now and auto update options on by default (see CCleaner as to why not), runs in system tray, auto start with Windows. Turned all those off. Exit the tray app and it stops the service, but leaves it installed. Now I can run it on demand though.

It’s not the discrete app it used to be.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Do you use CCleaner?’ is closed to new replies.