Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do you think Scientists should shut up sometimes?
  • Sui
    Free Member

I know it’s an antagonistic title, but reading

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27492949 (Peat bog in Congo)

it got me thinking, that although there are “measures” in place to protect certain areas, as soon as the green eyed monster rears it’s head, these things seldom stay protected. Should people avoid alerting the world to this type of stuff…just sometimes.?

The bog covers an area the size of England

I thought Wales was the SI unit for measuring large areas. 😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think it would be really in the public interest if we didn’t always call on “experts” when a story breaks in the news.

The amount of ummm’s and arrrhs’ and miss quoted’ism’s and proclaimed truths are just hilarious.

Why not just save some caaaash and interview some random bloke or woman on the street?

Moses

They do shut up, frequently.
    But you don’t hear about that because it’s kept quiet. (Obviously)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Sui, if there is a commercial benefit to be gained I am sure a poor country like the Congo would like to gain some benefit. It would be best that this is done in a sustainable way and such research will help to enable that.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I would imagine it’s so isolated and remote that it would be uneconomic to exploit a pretty low value resource. The logistics would be a nightmare.

bigjim

as soon as the green eyed monster rears it’s head, these things seldom stay protected

what?

Sui
    Free Member

bigjim – Member

as soon as the green eyed monster rears it’s head, these things seldom stay protected

what?

green eyed monster = money

Money talks and makes things happen when perhaps it shouldn’t.

Everyone needs to capitalise on their own resources, but areas such as the Congo, or those with less than effective governance, find that controlling the exploitation of the resource a problem which will lead to illegal recovery. If no-one knew about it, it wouldn’t happen.

ampthill

I think in this case no they shouldn’t keep quiet. Understanding the worlds carbon systems seems quite important

Usually scientists are OK reporting their own findings. However sometimes organisations that support them will big up the findings beyond what is reasonable. The cancer charities have been guilty of this

tightywighty
    Free Member

green eyed monster = money

green eyed monster = envy or jealousy

molgrips
    Free Member

That article isn’t written by scientists, so no. The job of a scientist is to try and work out what’s going on by studying, and publishing their results so that other scientists can learn or dispute. This is good.

However, journalists writing articles about it and the bone-headed public not really understanding – that should probably be sorted out.

In this case I don’t think the bog is likely to be at risk* because the logistics of extracting this and shipping it to people’s gardens in Europe would be staggering – when we can just compost our own organic waste by piling it up and leaving it.

* not for a few tens of millions of years anyway when it’ll become huge coal deposits

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

highclimber
    Free Member

If they kept it quiet then we wouldn’t be able to further our understanding of these delicate eco-systems, nor would we be having this discussion.

MSP

I thought Wales was the SI unit for measuring large areas.

No, Wales is the Imperial measurement, Belgium is the SI unit.

igm

They’re updating the imperial unit to England in case Wales decides to go independent leaving the rump UK (ie England and Northern Ireland) with no recognised measurement system.

Only precautionary you understand, but expect to see more of it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sounds like an opportunity for the world’s largest garden centre.

slowoldman

What’s the water like? Could be Brazaville Whisky in 15 years.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do you think Scientists should shut up sometimes?’ is closed to new replies.