Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • do you think iran will be invaded ?
  • grum
    Free Member

Def some interesting stuff on that site but some of it is a bit tinfoil-hattish.

Not sure if it’s in ernie’s list but the Americans shot down an Iranian passenger jet in 1988, over Iranian airspace. 290 killed. Remind me who the bad guys are again?

Wonder how it would go down if Iran did that?

wrecker
    Free Member

Remind me who the bad guys are again?

They/we all are.

grum
    Free Member

I’m just suggesting that the attempts to portray Iran as the aggressor/bogeyman in this situation are extremely misleading and hypocritical. We are sending warships there to threaten them FFS. People like Woppit seem to have bought it hook line and sinker though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flippinheckler
    Free Member

Russia seems to think the Americans will be responsible for WW3

http://english.pravda.ru/hotspots/conflicts/10-01-2012/120194-world_war_three-0/

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They/we all are.

Not really. Under international law the belligerent states or nations are the bad guys, not states or nations which are defending themselves. So by definition it can’t include all parties.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not sure why you think an article by a journalist in the Georgia Times signifies what Russia thinks – would an article by a journalist in the Daily Mail signify what Britain thinks ?

The point about China’s dependency on Iranian oil is a valid one, and one which the US undoubtedly takes into account. Not simply because of military considerations but because the West, including the US, desperately needs China to help them deal with the economic mess it finds itself in.

wrecker
    Free Member

So Iran isn’t belligerent? 😆
    Irans not flouting international law? 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Eh ? I didn’t say anything about flouting international law. I gave a definition of who are “the bad guys”. If you think Iran is belligerent then I guess they are the bad guys. But both sides can’t be the bad guys, as you suggested.

iDave
    Free Member

If the UK goes into Iran I’ll burn my UK passport. That’ll teach them.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why on earth not? We’re not talking about good vs evil here, these things aren’t black and white.
    The Iranian govt could not be described as “good guys” and neither could the Americans.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

So Iran isn’t belligerent?
    Irans not flouting international law?

Right – when did the Iranians do any military stuff outside of their country? Belligerent how?

What international law are they breaking?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why on earth not?

In a war situation it is usually accepted that both sides can’t be the bad guys……….I’m not sure I’ve ever heard both sides being described as the belligerents.

Why no more laughing emoticons btw ? …… two in one post now none 🙁

loum
    Free Member

loum
    Free Member

TBH, in a war situation the “Bad guys” and the “Good guys” are usually determined after the conclusion. History is written by the victor.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

History is written by the victor.

Never a truer word spoken.

wrecker
    Free Member

In a war situation it is usually accepted that both sides can’t be the bad guys.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I’d say that it’s more uncommon to have a clear “good guy” in war.

Why no more laughing emoticons btw

Your other post was much funnier.

TJ, actually. I can’t be bothered.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your other post was much funnier.

I’m slacking ? 😐

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Right – when did the Iranians do any military stuff outside of their country? Belligerent how?

What international law are they breaking?

None …. but the yanks and uk have decided its Their turn! syria and korea to follow.

GEDA
    Free Member

The strangest thing is that all the right wing American politicians bang on about cutting taxes and a smaller state yet many of them want to start another really expensive war.

TooTall
    Free Member

But have a butchers at this list to see examples of US armed forces involvement in the last 120 years.

What on earth does that list add to this discussion? You have seen what British troops have been involved in haven’t you?

We are sending warships there to threaten them FFS

No we are not / did not. Iran threeatens to close international shipping lane. International navies sail through international waters to hint that those threatening should not talk smack.

There are some proper tin-hat wearers in this thread aren’t there?

atlaz
    Free Member

Klunk – Member
    Ok, I’ll counter you with secret American warplane involvement in the 6 day war with Egypt…

Not that secret really when there are documentaries including interviews with the pilots 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What on earth does that list add to this discussion?

It was in response to hora’s question “Can we list them?” ………. you sound as if you have a problem with it – have you ? I’m sure most Americans are very proud of both their history, and their armed forces, and would look at that list with glowing pride – why wouldn’t they ? Are you saying American intervention is a “bad thing” ?

And BTW, what did your post add to this discussion ? Or was your comment directed at me purely based on a desire to maintain censorship over issues which make you feel awkward ?

You have seen what British troops have been involved in haven’t you?

No, go on then…….list them.

konabunny
    Free Member

The interesting thing is how much of the worlds s**t that America is trying to “clean up” was actually caused by the USA and us in the past.

Saddam – Tick
    Afghanistan – Tick
    Iran – Tick

That’s a very narrow way of looking at the world. Where is the agency of the actors that are not the US and UK, for example?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Gaddaffi – tick

konabunny
    Free Member

Glenn Hoddle’s ill-advised singing career – tick
    New Coke – tick
    The Fall of Nineveh – tick

rossi46
    Free Member

I like the way the author of this article seems to think that it is known which date the war will start. How can anyone possibly know that.
    And it all looks like it is accepted that there is going to be a war, whoever starts it. Thats a bad sign- looks like we are standing on the edge of an abyss. Who’s going to push us?

The sentence ‘Israel will strike Iran and strike something unexpected/ nuclear underground possibly with US backing thus starting WW3’ is a very common quote when looking up 2012 predictions. The internet is todays weapon of propaganda, looks like that war has already been won. At least here in the West anyway….

TooTall
    Free Member

No, go on then…….list them.

You can access Wiki and Small Wars as well as I can. I’d suggest that anything in the American list on their mainland would be classed as MACP so the Gloucestershire floods and digging grannies out of snow drifts (and battering Liverpudlian rioters) would be on that list for British forces.

I mentioned it as showing the list of what one country has been involved with internationally, when we have done so much to so many, was needing a bit of context as the Brits are as bad.

grum
    Free Member

No we are not / did not. Iran threeatens to close international shipping lane. International navies sail through international waters to hint that those threatening should not talk smack.

There are some proper tin-hat wearers in this thread aren’t there?

So you really don’t think there is a thinly veiled threat in sending warships there? You also don’t think the ‘threat’ from Iran is being massively overhyped/exaggerated?

Does no-one remember the Iraq war? It wasn’t really all that long ago.

loum
    Free Member

Next we’ll be told that the Iranians have “weapons of mass destruction”.

rossi46
    Free Member

Does no-one remember the Iraq war? It wasn’t really all that long ago.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqwjVNBWEo[/video]

Anyone sense De Ja Vu?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So

Can anyone tell me where the Iranians have been belligerent and when they broke international law?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

People like Woppit seem to have bought it hook line and sinker though.

I never turn down a bargain.

grum
    Free Member

It’s funny though, I seem to remember at the time when we were manufacturing a case against Iraq those who suggested it was all bollocks were called ‘tinfoil-hat wearers’ etc. Amazing that people are falling for the same shit again so soon after it was all revealed to be nonsense last time.

I never turn down a bargain.

Wow, great argument and hilarious at the same time. 😐

TooTall
    Free Member

You also don’t think the ‘threat’ from Iran is being massively overhyped/exaggerated?

Based upon their threats that they are issuing? No – I think they are capable and have proved it in the past.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

what threats too tall?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the threat that they will have a weapon that means we cannot invade them like we did to iraq ..that threat TJ

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wow, great argument and hilarious at the same time.

I try.

Junkyard
    Free Member

way too hard sadly…but at least you amuse yourself

grum
    Free Member

Based upon our threats that we are issuing? No – I think we are capable and have proved it in the past.

FTFY

Remind me, when was the last time Iran invaded a country illegally?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Here’s the thing. Given that any nuclear weapons that they develop will not save them from being nuked in return for any attempt to use them, by far superior forces and that their nation will not survive, the Iranians would have to be completely loopy to even consider it.

The evidence is that they like making a lot of threatening noises, but (as with the threats to close the Straits), when confronted by superior firepower, they back down.

They are a bunch of nasty torturers and anti-democrats, sure. But we know that already, right?

India and Pakistan are enemies. They both developed nuclear weapons, but neither have used that option. The obvious outcome of that useage has prevented it.

Once again, it’s the oil. Of course.

There’s nowt to worry about. For the moment…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘do you think iran will be invaded ?’ is closed to new replies.