Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Do you tell people to 'get some lights'??
  • Swirly
    Free Member

Please forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseam.

The number of dumb ar$es I see (or don’t see!) on my commute without lights winds me up!

I’m a motorist too and I can only assume that many offenders think that because *they* can see other road users *they* can be seen themselves.

There’s never been an excuse to not have lights and now you can pick them up at Wilkos for £2.99 front and rear.

Grrrr!

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes

hugor
    Free Member

My light failed on me a few weeks ago and I had a 14 mile ride home in the dark on a multi-use path. It was certainly dodgy because there was no street lighting at all as the path runs through a large city park. I received lots of angry abuse from oncoming cyclists.
    I don’t blame them as they weren’t to know my circumstances and a head on bike crash could be real nasty for all concerned.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I know it’s none of my business and on the whole I’m fighting the feeling of being a busybody but yes I have done.

Last Friday I spoke to a fella whilst stopped at the traffic lights to tell him that his back lights were barely visible. He had two, one was on his backpack was pointing up in the air and was semi obscured by the lid and and the one on his seatpost was so dim as to be barely noticeable. He was a little indignant but said thanks by the end of the conversation.

Swirly
    Free Member

I can sympathise with you hugor…however perhaps time to ask Santa for a spare if you rely on one light that much! 🙂

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

get some lights get a helmet and you might just live..

chakaping
    Free Member

There do seem to be a lot more people riding bikes around without lights than 10 or 20 years ago.

Mostly people on BSOs, but also quite a few commuters.

Natural selection I suppose.

bol

Yep did it today. I think I might have frightened the poor woman as I shouted it at her while overtaking. I hope she understood and didn’t just think I was pissed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I seen idiots on the canal tonight, proper dark it was down there an’ all, with no lights. Just daft. Did tell one bloke to ‘get some lights’ after almost colliding with him (he was dressed in black too).

But the worst thing as the woman with the large black dog which was not on a lead, wandering across the towpath. Lucky I have spiderman-like reflexes.

Fair enough she did acknowledge that she ought to get some little flashing leds for her dogs, in order to protect them as well as others from potential injury, so she was going to pop into Halfords on the way home to pick some up.

So, at least a partial result.

chakaping
    Free Member

And yeah, I tell them.

I also tell people off for riding on pavements.

Taff
    Free Member

If it’s in town then yes even more so if they wear dark clothing too. I bumped into someone a few weeks ago on a road bike out the back and his lights had died… had him tail me for a while until he got under some street lighting

druidh
    Free Member

Last year, Mark, Adam and I (from TheBikeChain) took to carrying some cheap lights with us and handing them out to ninja cyclists. In my case, even with the chance of getting some for nowt, folk just didn’t want them!

johnnystorm

I occasionally do, depending on the situation, I.e. middle of well lit town and they are relatively easy to see. I disagree and feel that more people have lights than back in the day. Particularly as led lights are so small and cheap to buy/run compared to the D cell powered monsters that cost a fortune in batteries. Used them faster than my paper round could generate funds to pay for them!

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah true, those Ever Ready beasts probably never saved anyone’s life!

flockofffish
    Free Member

Just back from work. I got told off the other night by a car driver for my lights hurting his eyes (2400 lums)on a dark lane with no street lights. I said sorry but you did have your lights on high beam and you did not turn them down when i was riding towards you on my low setting, so i turned them up so you could see me. At that point he ucked off burning his tyres.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I was driving home (dark country B roads) the other night and saw a front light on my side of the road and could just make out a cyclist and thought what nutter is riding on the wrong side of the road. When I got closer it was some chav on his catalogue special with his front light on the back and no front light. Wasn’t sure if that was a good idea (I did indeed see him) or a darwin award waiting to happen.
    I didn’t bother saying anything as I didn’t really know what to say.

brakes
    Free Member

does anyone remember those Duracell lockable lights you used to get in the 90s? massive things, they were epic!

djglover
    Free Member

Yes, slowed along side a few people this evening to tell them they are almost invisible to traffic. One woman said sorry. I said no need to apologise to me!

Duggan

I was going to say ‘never because I don’t give a sh*t’ but then again I was hit full on by a guy on a bike (not a ‘cyclist’) when out running a few weeks ago, he was heading towards me on the path with no lights.

Actually had a cartoon-style tire mark up my leg ffs 😡

So I really should do, I suppose.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Have often been tempted to.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ll suggest it in a polite kind of way as it could impact me if we collide and the chances of them getting hit and injured are high.
    As opposed to those who tell you to wear a helmet when there is no risk to them and the reduction in injury is low.
    😀

brack
    Free Member

Yes of course …why on earth wouldn’t you?

Them not having lights could have a dramatic impact on lots of peoples lives…and I want to minimise that possibility of someone else impacting so to speak on my life.

My absolute bug bear at the momment though are cyclists with high powered front LED lights who have them on the intermittent flash mode…. **** idiots!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Jobsworths!

brack
    Free Member

You are right Gary

I’m a Paramedic

Perhaps after 17 years of picking up the pieces…. I’ve become a bit more outspoken over certain issues.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just a thought, but people dont like to be told what to do by strangers, especially on the roads. It comes across as being a bit condescending, no matter how right you perceive yourself to be. You could cause a crash.

brack
    Free Member

Very condascending I know..not my place to say….rude….patronising….arrogant…moral high ground..

All of the above

Yip

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That’s nice, have a prize.

brack
    Free Member

Cheers

I choose a set I lights please

BenjiM

I rang one of the local High Schools yesterday evening after seeing 2 boys (one was an ex scout, so I knew who it was) In the dark on the road no lights, no helmets, no hi-vis. I know where abouts they live but not exactly and I know his Dad (Scout Leader) but didn’t have his number. I commute along that bit of road every day and there’s some pretty shonky and dangerous driving to say the least. It’s only a matter of time before something bad happens. I’ve had a few near misses myself with people overtaking on a blind bend, just near there house. Heaven forbid someone trying to pass when they aren’t lit up.

We were also out on a road ride a few weeks ago and Fizzer told a bloke that you couldn’t see his light. No point in having a shiny red light if it’s obscured by your crud catcher!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Remember to wear your helmet too. And your long johns.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

A few months back I was out on a road ride and my back light failed (ran out of batteries) 30 miles from home (Edinburgh). It was a bit sketchy getting back, a woman did stop and pointed out my back light was out.

I felt a bit of an idiot but I’ve since learned from the experience and bought a really bright rechargeable back light.

As for telling other people, if it’s an ASBO case, I usually won’t bother, but if it looks like an ordinary commuter I’ll usually say something friendly going past.

Better me saying it than the bonnet of a car.

MarkSS
    Free Member

I normally say/shout “lights” as I pass by.

Normally gets met by some anglo-saxon reply. Although I did chuckle at one teens quick witted response. He responded to my “lights” with “camera, action”

Luminous
    Free Member

As a car driver, I too get frustrated with cyclists who don’t even bother to get lights.

You don’t need super spec, high power stuff just to be seen on your commute, and for the sake of being safe on the road, I really do wish those people would get a set of cheapies so that they might be seen.

I see, working people, guys going home from work, with not a light anywhere on their bike.
    They are in employment, they are earning, and lights, as above, can be had for less than a fiver.

Very frustrating to see.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes I do, and to roadies who go out when its foggy or near dawn or dusk in fully lycraed up black or grey with no lights.

Odly though I dont insist they wear helmet 😯

fullysussed
    Free Member

They know they should have lights, but they don’t, so just leave Darwinism to run its course.

finmac
    Free Member

Nope. None of my business. it’s the individuals decision. Now people are moaning that lights are too bright?People just like voicing off about nothing these days. No lights? Who cares? Not me…..it’s their ass, not mine. I use em but if I didnt and someone ranted at me waving their busybody fist I’d tell em to go and get f****d 🙂 Politely of course

KungFuPanda
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member
    Remember to wear your helmet too. And your long johns.

Posted 5 hours ago # Report-Post

GG – heres a special tip just for you – remember to keep your mouth shut, otherwise somebody might put their fist in it. Theres a good boy.

ski
    Free Member

no

stevemtb
    Free Member

I see someone on the A71 between 5.15 and 5.45 most nights, him heading towards Livingston on a bike and me heading away in the car. He has a rear light on but it’s not bright at all and very little in the way of high-vis. I’ve seen two cars have to swerve and brake last minute to avoid him but obviously can’t point this out heading away in a 50mph stretch.

If you’re the guy whose there at that time and normally wearing a red and grey top please get some brighter lights (or clean your current lights!!).

brakes
    Free Member

I have two phrases I like to say to other cyclists:
    1) red light a**ehole
    2) get some lights a**ehole

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Do you tell people to 'get some lights'??’ is closed to new replies.