Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Do you take a philosophical snack break at the top o' the trail?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Always take a pasty or pack of mowbray pork pies/general snackage to enjoy at the top o’ the trail, usually at the highest point, i’ll have a sit down, soak up the rays if applicable, admire the views, take a couple of photos, get a bit philosophical if on a solo ride, discuss pressing matters if on a group ride, consume more snackage! 😆

Very rare I see others partake in this mid ride obligatory recharge though.

Anyone else, or is it head down on the trail, “Shall we go into Glossop for a cuppa?” 😯

bgd
    Free Member

Medley bars are my current trail snack of choice. There’s a spot on the edge of Dartmoor where I always stop on a night ride and take in the stars on a clear night.

chvck
    Free Member

Nope

fozzybear
    Free Member

On longer rides we do this.
    Top of the blade we snacked on kendal mint cake and a breakfast bar.

brooess
    Free Member

Isn’t the whole point of mountain biking to enjoy the feeling of being in the outdoors? If you don’t stop at some point and take in the view and just chill then you might as well just sit at home and watch TV really…

Chipps wrote an editorial about this years ago – where people were so determined to take photos of the great views, they were forgetting to simply sit and look at those great views and appreciate them in real life

roverpig

I can’t imagine passing a triangulation point without stopping to admire the view and usually have a little bite to eat too. If I don’t pass any triangulation points I can usually think of a different excuse.

chvck
    Free Member

Isn’t the whole point of mountain biking to enjoy the feeling of being in the outdoors? If you don’t stop at some point and take in the view and just chill then you might as well just sit at home and watch TV really…

Not for me, no. Part of the point maybe, but certainly not the whole point.

jekkyl

Generally we spark one up at the top of the hill/trail, then we get philosophical! Love to look at the moon n stars.

fruitbat

Me and Mrs fruitbat look on our bike rides as a picnic with cycling between courses 🙂

spacemonkey

Sometimes.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Every time, even on my own in the pouring rain!

RobHilton
    Free Member

I hate stopping at the top – why put in the effort, warm up on a climb and then sit on your arse and get cold for the descent?

Isn’t the whole point of mountain biking to enjoy the feeling of being in the outdoors?

Not for me; while I like the outdoors, scenery & wildlife a lot I ride bikes for the buzz.

I never eat at the top as picking stuff out of my teeth on the way down can be very distracting :mrgreen:

leffeboy

Yep. Even on a night ride it’s great to just stop and sit and listen.

tmb467
    Free Member

Of course – years ago it was about sparking one up and philosophising / enjoying the view

As I got older it became more about catching my breath and replenishing energy

Now I’m fitter it’s back to the views but without the doobage

Outdoors is great. If you get cold put something on

wiggles
    Free Member

Love sitting in the dark on a night ride with a flask of something warm. Maybe a little fire.

Just something cleansing about being in total darkness/silence

andeh

I usually stop and take a piss off the highest point, which is definitely for philosophical reasons.

wiggles
    Free Member

I hope you check wind direction first

WildHunter2009

For me its less a philosophical stop and more a “dear god, my lungs!”

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Yes. On solo or small group rides. In bigger groups you spend so much time waiting / faffing it’s not worth it.

Years ago, I would take a single cigarette with me. Now, happily, it’s usually a sandwich. Pref. strong cheddar.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I used to smoke when I got to the top, my reward ciggie!

I gave up a good few years ago now though. I sometimes take a photo and I’ve bit a thing about my bike next to trig points but that’s about it.

njee20
    Free Member

No

andyrm
    Free Member

Nope. For me it’s about the buzz, so it’s typically quick piss, something to eat as quick as poss, then hit the descent while still nice and warm.

jonba
    Free Member

The club I ride with does but I prefer to just keep riding. I normally try and eat on the move as stopping just means I get cold or have to take more clothes.

You can be philosophical and soak up the views while still pedalling.

rocketman
    Free Member

No I dont like stopping it ruins the flow. I used to ride with someone a few years ago who preferred to stop at appropriate times and they were probably as pissed off as me because I never wanted to stop. I’ll take it easy and maybe admire the view while freewheeling for a moment, but actually stop? Noooooooo I like to press on

saxabar
    Free Member

What kind of philosophising do folk do on these breaks? If a big mountain day I’ll stop for a few mins and bask in how great I feel and how wonderful it is to be alive, but can’t say I ever adopt ‘The Thinker’ pose (Blue Steel for intellectuals?).

Duggan

Hate stopping for anything. Not because I’m super fit or anything but for me it’s about riding my bike and that’s it really. I mainly do it because it’s more fun than the gym. Most big hills and fields all look the same to me to be honest.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I do try to stop and take in the views – even on the top of my local hill, which I have ridden up several hundred times. The views are one of the great joys of mountain biking.

But the snacks are often taken somewhere else – last Sunday’s ride included ‘brunch’ at the QECP cafe, beer and ice-cream at a pub at the bottom of the days biggest descent, and then a cream-tea and cake at Compton tea-rooms on the way back to Kingley Vale. Strava says I used up 2,900 calories on the ride, and I’m hoping I just about broke even for the day.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I love stopping at a top to admire the view for a bit, maybe take a few photos and have something to eat or drink. When you get views like this it’s worth it.

epicyclo

I stop to suck in some oxygen.

I’ve often wondered why it is there is an oxygen shortage on the up side of a hill, yet there’s plenty on the way down.

I’m sure there’s a scientific reason…

IHN

Amen, brother. For me, the ‘buzz’ and the advantages of exercise are simply serendipitous by-products of riding my bike around in the countryside. In themselves I’m not really intersested, which goes a long way to explain my dislike for trail-centres and gyms…

njee20
    Free Member

You can’t really compare a gym to a mountain bike ride where you don’t stop to ‘philosophise’ or whatever! You can enjoy nature without having to stop.

I hate stopping on rides, no issues with riding slowly if folk aren’t that fit, but I do want to keep going.

IHN

I think you’re missing my point. For me, going to a gym is just about getting exercise, which in itself doesn’t really interest me. Similarly, going to a trail centre is just about the ‘buzz’, ditto.

Being out and about in the countryside is something that does interest me, and riding my bike allows me to do this brilliantly. The exercise and ‘buzz’ are by-products that I enjoy, but they’re not the reason I do it.

njee20
    Free Member

Similarly, going to a trail centre is just about the ‘buzz’, ditto.

Is it? Last time I checked most trail centres were out in the countryside, and some even have pretty views…

IHN

Is it?

For me, yeah. But I’m happy to admit that I have a strange aversion to trail centres that is difficult to define and/or explain. I just know I don’t like ’em.

antigee

all my favourite rides have a little rest spot with a view point that’s an excuse to stop for a while and refresh the spirit for me its the best part of being out and about

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Armed with the latest news about gravity waves I’m going to have to ride up a hill so that I can ponder the possibility of an infinite universe, I hope I’m not up there for long.

jekkyl

The other night I stopped for a bit to take in the darkness and had a wee at the side of the road, looked up to find a pheasant sitting in a tree. Cool, never seen that before, it was like Danny the Champion of the world. It wasn’t in the least disturbed by my helmet light and just sat there oogling me having a wee with it’s little beady black eyes.

merynella
    Free Member

Does no one else take a hip flask?

ricky1
    Free Member

Banana or sis bar up at the slab up Gisburn at the same point every time,habit!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It depends my rides are either 2 hours flat out XC stuff or 3-4 hours trail stuff. On the latter, my mind is drawn to the leek and pork slices in Peaslake. I love sitting on top of Holmbury Hill looking S. Spent a lot of time up there last summer when my dad died and still go up there to have a chat with him now. That and a spot on Thursley Common are my spots for a bit of “me time”. Otherwise a hidden corner on Loughrigg away from folk and bikes!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Do you take a philosophical snack break at the top o' the trail?’ is closed to new replies.