• This topic has 51 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Do you still get nightmares?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

I’m in my 30s and had one humdinger of a nightmare last night.
    Under quite a bit of stress at the moment and the nightmare was directly related to work.
    But I’d thought I’d largely grown out of them, and they are rare.
    Anyone else still get them?
    And nope, I didn’t eat any cheese before bedtime!

tomhoward

Yeah, but I’m usually awake. And at work.

Murray

Yes, sometimes but not as often as when I was a kid (and I’m 53).

isitafox
    Free Member

Yeah had one last night, kept me awake for about an hour afterwards. Was more a real life situation as well rather than scary/horror type nightmare

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, but then I turn off the news/stw and the evils go away.

funkmasterp

I had one two nights ago and I’m 40. Woke up really freaked out and genuinely scared. A lot going on at work and at home at the moment. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. When I’m under stress I dream about sitting my Finals without having done any revision.

I sat my Finals in 1992. 😕

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, and as above usually in times of work stress or sleeping badly when it’s too hot.

wicki
    Free Member

57 and yes. usually being pursued by something unstoppable and in times of doubt and stress.

badnewz
    Free Member

Yep. When I’m under stress I dream about sitting my Finals without having done any revision.

I sat my Finals in 1992.

I have a very similar dream when under stress. Except I’m back at school, but at my present age, my uniform doesn’t fit me, and the teachers haven’t seen me for 2 years and I’m about to sit my A-Levels. That one usually involves waking up in a cold sweat.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I wish I could get to sleep to have a bloody nightmare.

wallop

Sometimes get sleep paralysis, not for a while though fortunately so it may have been stress related.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Not often, but occasionally.

But I do have some very weird dreams. I know dreams are meant to be the brain’s way of unravelling after the daily grind, but mine seems to do it in spectacular fashion!

mattyfez

Occasionally, yes.
    The worst thing is still being emotionally bothered for a few hours or so even though I can only vaguely remember the nightmare and consciously knowing it’s just due to the nightmare.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever had one!

teasel
    Free Member

Yep. Sometimes I return to the bloody thing over and over even if I get up and have a pee or drink a glass of water.

CheesybeanZ

Never had any recollection of dreams or nightmares – shuch a waste as a teenager .

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yep. 35yo. Always when stressed and/or down which is a regular occurrence at the minute. Never really related, just mad. Sometimes just wake in a panic and ‘remember ‘ nothing of it.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Yes, regularly, like at least once a week…

As per above, not being chased by monsters etc, just awful situations happening; son being hurt, wife leaving me, me having an affair and trying to balance the lie and maintain normality etc… in fact so much so (ref an affair) I know for a fact I’ll never stray, it’s just too draining…

All of the above wake me from sleep and it usually means I’ve done for the night & can sometimes affect me during the day after too.

I’m 40

It’s also worth mentioning i have very vivid dreams most nights too and it’s usually amazing, like being part of a Hollywood blockbuster so, so real. And if I’m in a strange bed (hotel/holiday/caravan/friend’s house/etc) I’ll have 4 or 5 crazy dreams a night… i acrually look forward to it.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I have learnt to control my dreams, if only I could do the same in real life

km79
    Free Member

My nightmares usually revolve around me being the evil one, and holy shit, I can do some horrible things!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had one last night which I’m putting down to depression/stress of Mrs EGF’s situation. I can’t remember what it was about now but it was horrible.
    My dreams are usually just really weird, like I’ll dream things I’d never even think when I’m awake.

My nightmares are work related, although most end with me stabbing the boss repeatedly, so I wake up refreshed.

scotroutes

Yep. (age 58)

Last major one I can remember was when bivvying with Piemonster recently near an old, abandoned Inn.

Also had the waking paralysis thing – now that’s scary!!!

footflaps

Not as such, but I do often wake up and can’t remember if I’ve really murdered someone or it was just a dream. They freak me out for days…..

Cougar

I used to get them pretty much every night when I was a kid. Usually some fractured version of reality. I once dreamt that I was in my bed and the curtains grew across to my bed and tried to smother me; another time I was chased down the street by our copper hot water cistern.

These days they’re pretty rare, but can still be horrible. A few months ago I watched my wife commit suicide. That was fun.

I have good dreams too sometimes. Whenever I have anything that looks like it might be, ahem, a bit racy though, I have a perfect knack of waking up before anything interesting happens.

Anyone ever had lucid dreams? This is a fairly new thing for me; I can dream and suddenly realise that I’m dreaming, and then take some measure of control over it.

mudshark
    Free Member

Think I’ve only had one – when I was 5 and it was about bonfire night at school, still remember bits of it.

sbob
    Free Member

Anyone ever had lucid dreams? This is a fairly new thing for me; I can dream and suddenly realise that I’m dreaming, and then take some measure of control over it.

Almost exclusively since I was very young (3/4). It was due to a recurring nightmare I used to have every night, knowing I was going to have the dream, then knowing I was having the dream.

(watching myself in a sideways scrolling forest while an evil witch put various traps and obstacles in my path to slow me down and cause me harm)

Had an unpleasant dream a couple of nights ago where I got caught up in some sort of heist and was shot first in the gut and then the chest.
    The shooter wouldn’t let me get to hospital and wanted to keep me in his apartment so he could watch me slowly die.

It was unpleasant enough for me to wake myself up, several times, but every time I fell asleep again the dream continued and really wasn’t much fun.

In the end I managed to create some enemies to tackle the heist gang and it all ended with a high budget firefight, bordering on the supernatural, and I was able to stabilise my injuries.

chewkw
    Free Member

I had one last night with AK47(assailant) Vs Bowie knife(me) in a combat situation.

Last night I couldn’t sleep properly after eating some ready meal hot curry which caused me to have some stomach pain. I couldn’t digest some of the stronger spice and I suspect is the paprika.

Oh I won with my Bowie btw but I ain’t going into detail.

eemy
    Free Member

Wife and kids are visiting the in-laws at the moment for a few days. Two nights ago I had a dream about my wife (not that sort of dream). In it, she woke me up to tell me that I hadn’t locked the doors – but I had locked the doors. 5am, couldn’t get back to sleep after that.

Cougar

Oh yeah. It’s fairly common for me to wake up, go to the loo, get washed and dressed ready for work, go downstairs and make coffee, then actually wake up still in bed and think “buggeration, I’ve got to go through all that again, I’ve already done it once.” If I’m really heavily asleep, I can have multiple iterations of this.

breadcrumb

37 and still have nightmares, I didn’t realise they should stop.

Sometimes the wife will wake me because I’m kind of half screaming in my sleep.

Zombie nightmare ended up more comedy based the other night, I had an exceedingly long chainsaw so all was good.

Northwind

Yes but they tend to be weird and unsettling. Like, last week, I had one that was a sort of existential crisis where I got my car valet parked and then nobody could find it, and every time I took out the ticket it looked different and they said it wasn’t for their car park, and every time I told them the reg plate they got it wrong and essentially my life went on hold until we found the car but it wasn’t even really clear if it had ever existed or I’d imagined it.

136stu
    Free Member

Dont know if you woudld call them nightmares but (usually in periods of work stress) I have dreams about rising tides that are lapping up against the windows or where I am in the car on a steep hill and either cant get any traction or cant apply enough brakes to stop me.

When I was a kid I used to have recurring dream of sitting on the kerb with my legs in the road and I couldnt move them out of the way of traffic.

Pook

Had a bike related one last night. I was watching a bike race from one side of a river. Across, the road came down to the river, turned right along it then immediate left over a bridge. The group came down, but there was one lad going waaaay to fast who hit the river side wall, flew over the water but then landed face first in the rocks on my side before slipping under the water. It was one of those rivers like you get in Lincolnshire, steep sides, deep. I had to jump down and reach under to try to get him. Woke up with my heart pounding

sirromj

Yes, in my early 40’s, still get lots dreams where I’m in haunted buildings. Always a sense something sinister is lurking behind a door, or at the bottom of that stairwell, and recognizing the situation as having happened before. In a recent dream I had scripted (as in written computer code) a flight of stairs into existence from the loft down to the basement (or beyond) and was about to venture down them until I got too freaked out by it.

teasel
    Free Member

Zombie nightmare ended up more comedy based the other night, I had an exceedingly long chainsaw so all was good.

🙂

The first series of The Walking Dead and a few other zombie movies, when watched just before sleep, have left me dreaming of fields of zombies and their subsequent destruction.

Bloody hate it so don’t take the chance these days and watch it all well in advance of sleep.

monksie
    Free Member

I get them very badly along with night terrors (the dream / nightmare continues for up to a minute after I’ve woken up during the nightmare) but I’m on 200mg of Quetiapine bd (400mg in total) a day and this is a rare side effect.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had one last night where I was getting back with the ex…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Do you still get nightmares?’ is closed to new replies.