Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Do you sometimes feel like 'just going for a potter' on your bike?
  • binners

I know that this forum is populated by finely honed athletes and technically masterful GNARRRRRRRR-monsters, but do you ever just think “I fancy just leisurely riding down a bridleway to the pub, having a pint, then moseying back’?

No Strava. No rocky descents. In fact nothing technical at all. So no pads, or owt. No brutal climbs. No mahoosive road loops. Just shorts and t-shirt, turning the pedals (slowly), taking in the scenery, and generally being at one with the world?

I do. But I’ve not done it for ages. in fact… I think I’m going to nip out and do that right now.

Have a good afternoon you lot 😀

kraken2345
    Free Member

All I do is potter atm whilst my wrist heals, peaceful riding without my lungs falling out of my arse is definitely refreshing

weeksy

I live in the south, 90% of my riding when outdoors is exactly that 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

Very often

The feeling usually lasts for a few turns of the pedals until I realise how much faster I can go. Can’t help it

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s pretty much all I do.

see also: the Bimble Thread
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-bimble-thread

Stevet1
    Free Member

I quite often like going off in a directions and seeing what I can find, looking for hidden interesting bits of trail.

chestrockwell

Just got a hardtail and fitted a bottle holder and flat pedals so I can do exactly this. My full suss is ace but the effort and time required to get ready often make a quick blast impossible with that so I was missing out on bike time.

jimdubleyou

Reminds me that I must get the pub bike off the wall sometimes…

thomthumb
    Free Member

rarely. not exactly as you describe. i’ll probably wear kit & i’ll definately strava it; i log EVERYTHING.

I quite like finishing a long week at work – particulary before a week off with a gentle ride across the downs for a pint.

zilog6128

Yep. Sometimes I don’t even wear a helmet. 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, a nice ride round a chat with mates is good

IHN

Yep. Generally down country lanes rather than bridleways (just cos of the location of said pubs) but, yeah.

IHN

Oh, and do some work you crayon-touting tosspot 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Exactly this.

The only problem is that I have three pubs within quarter of a mile of my house, which means that any bimble will take less than two minutes before reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, all I have been able to do is potter for the last 5.5 weeks since I smashed myself up racing.

It’s been different, I enjoyed it at first, but now i’m literally itching to ride a bike properly…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m gonna have a potter round the old colliery with me whippet later.

So northern. Might have a pie for me tea too.

ads678

Yep, I never race and never have. I don’t do strava, so every ride is a nice bimble around.

To be honest even when i go for a big ride with mates in the peak or lakes i’m not trying to brake any records, I ride a bike cos it’s nice.

Most of my riding these days is with my kids any way so i’m not going to be breaking any KOM’s!!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Don’t mind a nice bimble from time to time – especially on rest week (every 4th week), but t-shirt, shorts and flat pedals are taking things a step too far.

Not to mention that with the current weather conditions if I tried to do anything low intensity wearing only a tshirt i’d be found curled up shivering at the side of the road.

lazybike
    Free Member

Yep..

joolsburger
    Free Member

I treat every uphill incline as a bimble to be conquered through a combination of patience and scenery. Downhills not so much.

I’m not in a hurry.

plumber
    Free Member

All the time since I became a southerner

Single speed – no cleaning just go

daviek

All the time!

I maybe get to properly play once a week when I’m at home, the rest of the time we have an abandoned railway line beside us which is good for a quick fix.

user-removed
    Free Member

Aye, often, so I often do. My car’s been sorned since February so the bike has become my only mode of transport. My ‘proper’ bike hasn’t left the garage in all that time because my ’91, rigid Kona with rack and panniers is just more practical. Sadly, car comes out of the garage this week…

coomber
    Free Member

Until my knee is sorted, if ever, this is all I can do and it beats sitting on the sofa. If you ride somewhere nice, it’s good to take in the environment, woods and wildlife etc.

davosaurusrex

Staying on the Isle Of Wight with work tonight. Pretty sore and got some decent road rash from an off last week but the weather is stunning so I’m going to go and bimble around the lanes, look at the views and find a nice pub for a pint of cider. Maybe two. Bye!

holmes81
    Free Member

Yep. Inevitably results in me mucking about on the bike to and fro pub.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

There is no excuse for a ride of any description not to involve a pub and a gentle pootle home at the very least, it’s usually the best part of an already ace* hobby.

*growing up when i did, i always wonder which came first, doctor who’s sidekick or the colloquial use of ace to mean very good.

AlexSimon

I often intend to do this, then once out on the bike just keep turning away from home, following tracks etc and end up doing an epic (for me).
    If I encounter a technical climb, I find it really difficult do anything other than try and clear it at the cost of every ounce of energy.

Ah well.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Nope.

Any pootle around here involves hills and therefore doesn’t fit my definition of a pootle.

When I lived on a canal, it’s something I did regularly (to the pub, natch).

dannyh
    Free Member

Sometimes. Sometimes I fell like going for a shred on my bike.

To a casual bystander both are pottering, though.

Bregante

No Strava

I see you couldn’t help yourself 🙂

scotroutes

I’m not sure what using/not using Strava has to do with pootling. I use it and almost always pootle.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

All the time. It’s what I do best.

In fact, think I might do as binners and go right now. See if I can catch the sunset from the top of the Chilterns.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I find that walking the dogs scratches that pootle-to-the-pub itch.

Most the pubs round where I live are about a mile or more away so they make a nice fulcrum to an hour-long dog walk.

If I go out on the bike it’s generally to cover a bit more distance and get a bit more out of breath. Ye cannae whack a nice pub stop, though.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member

Staying on the Isle Of Wight with work tonight. Pretty sore and got some decent road rash from an off last week but the weather is stunning so I’m going to go and bimble around the lanes, look at the views and find a nice pub for a pint of cider. Maybe two. Bye!

Top three beer gardens for bimblers from out of town on a sunny summer’s evening:

Blacksmith’s Arms, Calbourne Road
    Dairyman’s Daughter, Arreton
    The Woodvale, Gurnard

Honourable mentions to the Sun Inn, Hulverstone and the Wight Mouse, Chale, but they’re a bit further away.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t potter, I pootle.

Frequently just like getting out and have a wander about. I like exploring and I like doing miles. Not for the sake of the miles, but because I keep thinking I can go a bit further and see what’s down there or over there. And usually it’s a mission of trying to get from A to B and back with as much off road as possible and possible discover some fun stuff. But it’s not about hurtling down some gnar. Just a pootle.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I never even change gear when I go riding…..

binners

Well that was all rather lovely. 10 miles through our desolate post-industrial wasteland

Then obeying the usual rule: all rides finish at the brewery 😀

Lionheart
    Free Member

Probably most of my rides now a days are a bimble, poodle, wee potter about..

NormalMan

Stevet1 – Member
    I quite often like going off in a directions and seeing what I can find, looking for hidden interesting bits of trail

I do this loads. Especially on my fatbike for some reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Do you sometimes feel like 'just going for a potter' on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.