Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • do you run your saddle at the same height on mtb as on road
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Your be surprised how anal i am about positioning ……

had enough injurys caused by bad positioning to be anal about it.

Seems to me when you start doing alot of miles or high intensity that position is oh so more important than any flash light weight componant you can get …..or running a 40 mm stem to get the gnar core handling the mags tell you about ….

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

For the 'must be the same height' people, do you also measure your position behind the BB and length of reach in that position?

No.

cp

Nope – its just the leg extension that matters for best pedalling.

which is affected by reach… the further forward and lower you reach out to, the more you hips (edit – the bit where you thigh bones pivot) rotate back and up, so you tend to need to run the seat lower IME.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cp – which is included in the way I measure position. by sitting on the bike.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    I think everyone refers to saddle height as BB to top of saddle, not ground to saddle, tracknico…

Theres two dimensions I've got written on the inside of my shed door, centre BB to top of saddle & tip of saddle to handlebar distance. Means when a bike has been stripped down I can get the set up back quickly and easily.

Macavity
    Free Member

Dancake
    Free Member

Used to ride a road bike with really high saddle and flew to work at 100mph (ok not quite)

Trouble is, I run my Mountain bike with a low saddle so when I was getting on it after the road bike I was getting ruined. I recently sold the road bike and bought a MTB for work set up exactly the same. Riding to work is a chore but I feel much happier once I get it (or the other one) off road.

jond
    Free Member

Like Convert, my knees give me a bit of trouble – I can tell if my seatpost's slipped much more than about 5mm, any more than 10-20mm and they'll start clicking – so I keep my seat pretty high. But I can still get my backside off the back of the saddle (flite), or even behind it – it just needs a little more planning to do so. I might drop it on a long descent, but not if I was gonna be sitting down to pedal

steve_b77
    Free Member

Don't know to be honest, but what I do know is that since doing a lot of road miles (inc commuting every day on a SS Plug) I've had to raise the saddles on both of my MTB's by about an inch.

Does make getting on the Nic kinda tricky due to the high BB though.

KT1973
    Free Member

I've just dropped mine an inch because it was pulling my knees and hip joints apart. I only noticed it the next day when I was walking like John Wayne. Oh and also I couldn't bunnyhop because I kept whacking the saddle into my nuts.
    Not good

thumbie
    Free Member

Bike Radar article just to confuse matters 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘do you run your saddle at the same height on mtb as on road’ is closed to new replies.