Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)
  • Do you ride on footpaths?
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

dogs can be trained not to shit on paths etc– but the bag thing can be odd, they are often left hanging in trees/bushes like some faecal shrine…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I live on the Isle of Wight which has a lot of bridleways and a lot of footpaths. I do ride on footpaths, but like most of the previous comments I use common sense. The IoW is a walker magnet and there are several small companies set-up for walkers, using footpaths, so I avoid the more used ones during ‘normal’ hours mainly to avoid unnecessary conflict with rabid, Daily Mail reading OAPs.

However I do take umbridge at people not caring about the example they set as a rider; if everyone took this view we’d be screwed. In my eyes it doesn’t take a lot to set a decent example and show others respect while out riding. This doesn’t mean avoiding footpaths, but does mean not acting like an utter tool when riding or caught on one.

By ‘not caring’ you’re essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face, because any anti-MTB action on both a local and national level will affect you in one way, shape or form.

Cheezpleez

Why do some people get so worked up over this? It always amuses me when someone who isn’t the landowner and who hasn’t been put out in any way goes into a piss-boiling frenzy because someone is riding a bike on a foot path. Why do they care?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It always amuses me when someone who isn’t the landowner and who hasn’t been put out in any way goes into a piss-boiling frenzy because someone is riding a bike on a foot path. Why do they care?

+1

Its when you’re faced with the landowner, or the landowner’s agent/gamekepper holding a gun that I get concerned.

annebr
    Free Member

IMO a polite and considerate cyclist on a footpath does more good for the public image of cyclists than keeping everyone separate from each other.

So yes I will ride a footpath because it may be the best and easiest route for where I want to go. But I’m always considerate of the other users of the paths no matter what the designation of the path.

amodicumofgnar

Things can always change, link goes to British Mountaineering Council website. Text below is lifted from it:

The government is planning to make trespass a criminal offence under the Anti-Social Behaviour Bill currently before parliament, claimed a leading countryside campaigner at the first-ever Spirit of Kinder Day on Saturday (April 27).

Kate Ashbrook, general secretary of the Open Spaces Society, said: “The Bill threatens to make trespass a criminal offence by creating public spaces protection orders – in fact, exclusion orders – applied to places like open country and village greens, where the public currently has the right of recreation.”

unklehomered
    Free Member

However I do take umbridge at people not caring about the example they set as a rider; if everyone took this view we’d be screwed. In my eyes it doesn’t take a lot to set a decent example and show others respect while out riding. This doesn’t mean avoiding footpaths, but does mean not acting like an utter tool when riding or caught on one.

By ‘not caring’ you’re essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face, because any anti-MTB action on both a local and national level will affect you in one way, shape or form.

This, I have in the past tried to disassociate myself from people I’m riding with out of embarrassment. I’ve said this before on similar threads, just be incredibly nice to miserable ramblers, they hate it, they really do because your failing to live up to the stereotype of mtber they would otherwise be able to spend the rest of the day complaining about, and there’s no collateral damage by way of unpleasantness to the nicer people in the group. Its a true win win.

I often stop if I see walkers gawping at a map and ask if they need any help. This is worth doing, it’s very funny as they never admit it, even if you have heard them say they don’t where they are as you approach. But a good conversation starter and allows you to break the mold of negative expectations.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To give an alternate point of view…..
    having grown up on a farm and my folks still own it and have a tolerant approach to ROW’s but when you get a bunch of farmers together over some beers the stories come out 🙂 wandering through farmyards (not on ROW’s), trampling crops (Not on ROW’s), leaving gates open, letting dogs chase animals (problem with owner not dog) the list goes on…….

Farms and agricultural land is a workplace, you can make the ROW safe but people keep straying off them, you can’t expect a business to have to worry about randoms wandering round where they should not be.

Couple that with the farmers nightmare of being next to towns/estates etc where kids roam through fields with bikes/motorbikes etc. One family friend had to fit metal detectors to his Combine Harvesters due to the amount of scrap thrown into the fields (costing £1000’s to repair machinery)

Looking at UK access from Oz it’s amazing and you don’t know how lucky you are!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Like many on here, I do but try to be as polite as possible don’t charge past walkers etc.

There are quite a few cheeky trails around Wyming Brook that I ride very early when visiting family (and used to ride very regularly when I lived there). I keep bumping I to this old bugger who bollocks me and tells me that I shouldn’t be there because it’s an area of scientific interest with rare birds…all whilst his two digs are off the lead, rummaging around a long way from the path. Pretty sure his dogs will do more to the ground nesting birds away from the path than I will be riding one little slither of track.

The sense of entitlement that people have gets me the most…it’s theirs and not to be shared. No it’s not. I don’t litter and do my best to be considerate…why shouldn’t I be allowed equal access to the countryside? Seems to work north of the border.

mduncombe
    Free Member

The law is stupid and outdated when it comes to RoW.

There are stupid people out there as well though and an inconsiderately ridden mountain bike can be very intimidating to other countryside users especially if dressed like a storm trooper.

But mountain biking is here to stay, various countryside use surveys suggest mountain bikers make up a large proportion of countryside users but we don’t seem to have a particularly big voice when it comes to being heard 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheezpleez – Member
    Why do some people get so worked up over this? It always amuses me when someone who isn’t the landowner and who hasn’t been put out in any way goes into a piss-boiling frenzy because someone is riding a bike on a foot path. Why do they care?

+1

exactly this in my mind, its not like your in their back garden, but they do have a sense that it is ‘theirs’, i find it bizarre when you get ranted at about it, and like i said before the last 2 out of 3 times ive been ranted at is by walkers with dogs off the lead (which along with a no cycling sign it also says no dogs off lead) but they choose to ignore that….i just cant grasp how they get so worked up about it

we’re just human beings enjoying the great outdoors and countryside, just like they are, you should be out smiling and enjoying yourself not getting worked up about a cyclist riding past you, its a big open land, imo there should be no restrictions, just common sense (ala scotland)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cheezpleez – Member

Because those are the “rules” which must be followed blindly and regurgitated ad-infinitum without actually thinking about them.

jumble
    Free Member

I ride only on bridleways now. I used to really enjoy an evening ride down the Thames footpath around where I live. It was stunning and I never saw a soul. It did great things for my well being.

Then a local swiss land owner decided that bikes weren’t welcome on the bit of the footpath which crossed one of his many country piles and I got bored with my lovely relaxing ride being ruined by aggressive estate managers/workers blocking my path. I never got aggressive as I knew that pretty much they were in the right no matter how they chose to show it. I really miss that ride 🙁

christhetall
    Free Member

Yes, but only when dry/frozen and quiet, and in small groups, and with the utmost courtesy.

The law predates the development of mountain biking by at least 10 years and putting MTBs in the same category as horses is absurb – very differant impact and requirements. And all we are doing is committing the same offence as Benny Goodman and his band up on Kinder.

However it is also worth remembering that many walkers, especially older ones, have a very genuine fear of being struck by a bike. I know I can stop, but they don’t. And I have a lovely scar on the back of my leg from where an MTBer who crashed into me on a footpath, almost followed by his 5 mates.

bajsyckel

As pointed out many times, ROW legislation remains inconsistent and is inherently flawed for modern and future use. RE the OP though, I don’t ride on footpaths often at all (maybe 1%) of riding, but I don’t have to as access/ ROW here are pretty good. If I lived in an area where access was crap then I might well ride more on footpaths, BUT regardless of “rights” (and wrongs)…

– it’s more important how and when you ride than where – i.e. don’t piss off other users, mess with livestock/ crops, disturb wildlife.
    – riding in ways or at times so that the route/track is damaged by the way you ride is not acceptable.
    – I try to chat with landowners/ agents I see when I’m riding – if there’s a shoot/ stalk on, or a farmer has brought sheep down for lambing (and so on) then I’m happy to divert a route so as not to interfere with things. Mostly they are pretty sound and helpful, but if they prove themselves to be utter bell-ends (rare, but occasionally) then that’s useful knowledge when planning future rides.
    – I don’t ride on footpaths or tracks that I have been asked not to.
    – I wouldn’t head for an area miles away and ride a load of footpaths (even if they are good to ride and there are no other ROW that might be used).

In short, as with much in life, it comes down to trying not being a dick.

lowey

Lifes too short not to.

I ride everything. I treat other users with respect and courtesy.

I tend to find that only people who are arsy about it are the car park half mile militant ramblers who only populate the “honeypots” if you like. A prime example of this is the BW’s around Loughrig. We have a legal right to be there but the waves of indignation that break upon you are just outrageous.

Contrast that with going high and cheeky in the Lakes and you tend to come across fellow outdoor enthusiasts who are, by and large amazed that you have got a bike up there and offer encouragement. I’ve had some great chats with folk like that when up high.

And as for not riding with your mates because they ride on footpaths ?? really ? I mean … really ??

Stevelol
    Free Member

Just adding my 2p to make up the numbers; like most people in here I also ride footpaths but use common sense and be as civil (boom-tish) as possible with others. A quick ‘hello!’ to walkers and always giving way to them are small things but they all make your ride go smoothly and I personally like to think I’m doing my bit for the cycling community 😀

I’m yet to meet anyone who has a problem with my riding, you do occasionally get people who completely blank you or don’t return your ‘hello’, but some people are just miserable bastards anyway 😀

The most fun I had with walkers was actually on the way up Snowdon (evening ascent) the amount of banter (‘you should be riding!’) and comments from people who were surprised to see a bike up there was great, it actually felt like you were just there enjoying the scenery and brilliant weather, no hostile feelings at all.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I know I can stop, but they don’t

I get people who live along lanes telling me to be careful when I’m riding at a really low speed because I can’t see round corners, there is a real perception we’re not in control.

Interesting experience walking some woods near me last night, knew some lads were getting uplift for a few runs as we’d seen them earlier, dog off the lead trotting along the path [taking a break from raping ground nesting birds and smearing his feaces on everything], at pretty much the ‘worst’ possible moment the two guys popped over the hill behind us (only a about 7-10 metres visibility). Even I, a rider, got a little panic [from the surprise] on, they really did come up very quiet, anyway they were good lads, slowed to near stop the moment they saw us, I brought the dog to heel and they rode past. I gazed after them jealous of the uplift…

I was wondering after why the panic. lads were in facer’s and part of me had felt as thrill seaky DHers, I couldn’t be sure they would stop/not be dicks. Also they just appeared suddenly like sith lords!

I ride those cheeky trails myself on some evenings, and you only very rarely meet anyone on them, but it was interesting seeing it from the other side.

marc
    Free Member

I ride anything around here; there aren’t many tourists so you tend to just get a nod from walkers and fell runners. In the peaks/lakes/similar I’d stick to legal routes.

The only problem I ever had was with dogs was when a snarling bull terrier bit my front wheel and punctured it. I was too wuss to kick the bugger 🙁

rogermoore

http://www.cheekytrails.co.uk/ethics.htm
    To me, this seems to be based mainly on common sense.
    RM.

smiffy

No hard and fast rules for me; I live in a pretty quiet part of the world and sometimes never see another soul. Its best to think about what you’re doing and the impacts it will cause. I discourage people from riding some of the sensitive bridlepaths around here when its wet, there are stone footpaths and unclassified paths that can take the abuse. I won’t ride some routes on a Bank Holiday because I know there will be lots of walkers, etc. On a frozen, bleak January morning the world is my oyster; no damage, no altercations, no inconvenience caused to anyone.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on this. Seems like the riding sensibly (where, when and how) works for most people where it concerns FPs … almost unanimously.

Totally agree that the RoW set-up in England is dumb. Access works pretty well in Scotland, which is where I’m from. Maybe riding FPs with consideration is a positive thing, as the historic trespass on Kinder was many years ago.

Just to add to the couple of comments questioning what I wrote about riding on FPs with my mates. I have followed my mates down FPs when out for a ride (last time a couple of weeks ago) – it just doesn’t feel right to me. What it does make me do is question (beforehand) if I want to go on a specific ride knowing that it will take in FPs.

steel4real
    Free Member

Yes – since about 4 years ago – a lot of others were doing it so I do now.

The final spur was seeing frequent pictures in Singletrack magazine of quite a few local ‘footpaths’ being ridden.

Several active clubs that ride in the area also seem happy to do so.

There are even Stava segments on well known ones !

Always try and recognise that as a rider I have lowest priority, give way, remain cheery etc. and never skid. That last one is a reason that I would only show a select few certain ‘trails’.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

No wonder so many cuss the trail centre in favour of natural trails if you ride on footpaths as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No it’s just because they are snobs.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I ride footpaths, unless there’s a specific no bikes sign, rarely get any grief, I make an effort to move off the trail if I come across any walkers, slow down and say hello. Don’t see the problem really. It’s not a motorbike!

Also tend to find that a lot of footpaths are singletrack, and therefoe fun to ride.

Wozza
    Free Member

Lakes: No

Everywhere else:

I try not to but yes

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Not that often as i dont have to, but on occasion yes. Try to avoid them though, too much dog crap.

IdleJon

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    i watched a person let his dog shit on a FP last saturday, he let it shit right in the middle of the narrowish path,

piedi di formaggio – Member

You should have picked it up in a big leaf, shouted ‘Hey! You dropped something!’ and chucked it at him

Or called the dog over and rubbed the mess all over the dog’s fur. The owner might understand why people get so stroppy about walking dogmess into their house then..

Last Sunday, riding a FP, I stopped to let a dogwalker past. She complained about MTBs ‘flying around the bend at 30mph and knocking her off the path’. I laughed and said that it was unlikely as there was a stile right behind me, and anyway I had stopped to let her pass simply to allow her space. If she had a problem with other MTBers she should take it up with them. All discussed in a civil, almost friendly way.

Then, no joke, one of her dogs tried to bite my leg.

I didn’t swear, just pointed out the obvious, that if she wanted the higher ground then her behaviour, and her dogs’, needed to be beyond reproach, footpath or not. She wandered off giving daggers to the dog and I rode off alternating between smugness and anger at almost being bitten!

pussywillow
    Free Member

Yep, absofookinluteley! 99% of the tails we ride are footpaths, they seem too be tastier than bridleways. 😆

D0NK

that’s just criminal

Some top level cheek in the lakes that generally gets you encouraging remarks from walkers. OTOH busy BWs lower down can get you a load of abuse from stupid walkers.

<edit> has to be said most of my lakes trail poaching is done midweek, I’d be a bit more circumspect at weekends, but there’s so many trails far away from the honey pots where seeing another soul is still unlikely at weekend and if a biker rides a footpath but there’s no one there to see it, it’s definitely not a crime 🙂

dadster21
    Free Member

Many footpaths around my area (close to London) have not seen a foot in years so I believe I am doing the countryside some service by maintaining a path’s usage – albeit using a bike. I think some of the footpaths around here would not be passable by man nor beast if it were not for bikers…..I have had some interesting encounters with walkers on Bridleways though – including a lady golfer relieving herself in the middle of a bridleway that cuts through a golf course. Such fun……

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

^ what DONK said

neilthewheel

A (rambling) member of our Local Access Forum told me it would be impossible for walkers to share footpaths with bikes, because: “What if I were walking on a footpath through a field of crops and a cyclist came the other way. How would we get past each other?” 🙄

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Yes but have third party insurance just in case they don’t move quick enough 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wozza – Member

why not the lakes? never been just curious as I fancied heading down there sometime.

edlong
    Free Member

That “horses churning up the bridleways” thing isn’t always a bad thing – there’s a couple of bridleways on my regular, local loop that I’d probably be bored of by now, but since they’re used by lots of horses, rocks getting dislodged etc, it’s like a different trail every time I ride it, never quite sure how each bit will flow until I get to it.

In answer to the OP, pretty much a “no” but if I wasn’t lucky enough to have plenty of bridleways round here that work for me, then maybe.

unklehomered
    Free Member

One near me gets regular llama traffic, its worn down to the bedrock now and has loads of steps and features, its ace!

bigyinn
    Free Member

pussywillow – Member

Yep, absofookinluteley! 99% of the tails we ride are footpaths, they seem too be tastier than bridleways.
    Get back to your alphabetti spaghetti.

dazh

Odd issue this cos in my experience I’ve met more mountain bikers who have an issue with riding on footpath than I have walkers. Maybe it’s just the people I ride with, but the suggestion of riding a particular footpath usually sparks debate among the bikers, whereas the walkers I see on footpaths usually give a cheery wave and comment about how they can barely walk the thing let alone ride a bike down it.

Being a Manchester based Peak biker, the Kinder Trespass is the big killer argument for me. The irony of ramblers/walkers in the Peak telling bikers that they’re not allowed in certain areas is almost too much to not ride on footpaths.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Do you ride on footpaths?’ is closed to new replies.