Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Do you refer to your family as a Team?
  • MrGrim

Does my puss in!

Anyone else have friends who refer to their family as a Team? Maybe you do it.

Team Smith ready to head out for the day”.
    or
    “Another hectic day in the Team Smith household”

This is mainly on Facebook.

Will this happen to me when/if I have kids? Will I suddenly become a team manager and tell everyone about the progress and achievements of Team Grim on a daily basis? 😉

DrJ

No, but my sister does, and it drives me bonkers (Hi, Rach) 🙁

wwaswas

This is mainly on Facebook.

see, that’s your problem right there.

neninja
    Free Member

No here

I would expect my friends to mercilessly take the pee to ensure it never happened again if I did. That’s what friends are for.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t, but my three year old son does.. which I think is a really nice thing

scaredypants

No, but I do like to walk into the lounge and say “morning, men !” – mostly because it makes my 2 daughters ded cross 😆

DezB
    Free Member

No, but I refer to my team as my family.

(Had a boss that did that once… BARF!)

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Sounds very American

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you’re not a team then you’ve failed as a family in the truest sense of the word. no wonder british society is crumbling and the family unit is breaking up, old people ending up in homes rotting away whilst the kids spend their parents hard earned money on snowboarding holidays and cheese.

Cougar

“Team $Family” is only a small step away from having tee-shirts made up.

Kryton57

oh c’mon PhilC.

He’s talking about the use of a word, not the indicative management of a family unit. Calm down fella….

wwaswas

My 5 year old likes calling everyone buddy but I think that’s something he’s picked up off TV.

My wife taught some 5 year old twins with American accents. She asked their Mum where they’d lived in the States.

There was a bit of mumbling and then it turned out they’d never been to America – she’d just used Disney Channel as childcare for 8 hours a day before they started school whilst she ran her business from home.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Hell to the no. I still live with parents and the although the banter between the whole family is somewhat the anchor of our family, we are far from a team.

Unless you count the racing me and my old man do, which ironically we do have Williams racing plastered down the sides of the cars, although i guess that’s different as it has purpose

philconsequence
    Free Member

kryton… have you seen the price of cheese?!

bencooper
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFGD5pj03M[/video]

No, it’s weird.

binners

If anyone ever hears me utter the words ‘team’ in reference to my family, I am hereby giving you permission for you to dish out the severest kicking this side of US extraordinary rendition cell.

It would be richly deserved

Kryton57

philconsequence – Member
    kryton… have you seen the price of cheese?!

Yes thanks, I’m a huge cheese fan.

but luckily my son has a dairy intolerance… 8)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My ex’s mum did. She constantly droned on in an American accent management speak and said ‘pacific’ not ‘specific’ we went for a family pic-nic and amongst other things we were a unit, team, players in a game and all that. I told her to be quiet and reminded her she was from Warrington and thought Dorset was abroad. My girlfriend was my ex a few days after that.

Kryton57

Team
    Unit
    Leverage
    Fries
    Bay-sil
    Jelly (jam)

continue as necessary…

jarvo
    Free Member

There was a bit of mumbling and then it turned out they’d never been to America – she’d just used Disney Channel as childcare for 8 hours a day before they started school whilst she ran her business from home.

This is my concern. I let my son (5) watch an hour maximum of supervised TV of an evening. Frequently he’ll hand me the remote and ask to watch something informative, such as helicopter rescues, police shows etc. Given the chance he’d rather be outside on his bike or scooter.

My partners daughter (7) on the other hand will quite happily sit there all day and watch TV. I’ve seen kids who have excellent American accents, just because they would watch and mimic the TV.

I’ve tried to raise this with my partner, but she doesn’t quite see the impact. Granted, I’m the fatty who is aware of the dangers of a sedentary life. So if the weather is good during the weekend, and we are not out and about, the kids are hoofed outside to play. “It’s nice weather, get some fresh air!”.

mudshark
    Free Member

Anyone call their kid ‘sports fan’ here yet?!

Maybe I’m wrong but from what I’ve seen on the telly it’s the sort of thing they call their kids. Not sure what the UK equivalent is.

mogrim

My wife taught some 5 year old twins with American accents. She asked their Mum where they’d lived in the States.

My girls have a fair amount of Americanisms in their speech, in my defence I should point out their maternal tongue is Spanish, they listen to and speak Spanish all day, and I’m actually quite relieved that you can watch Disney and MTV in English here as it gives them a bit of exposure to native accents and language other than my own.

But no, we’re not Team Mogrim. Or anything similar. I might try it out, just to see if it winds up the wife though 🙂

wwaswas

I might try it out, just to see if it winds up the wife though

I thought that.

Then I thought about the consequences.

Best not.

GrahamS

Anyone else have friends who refer to their family as a Team? Maybe you do it.

Erm.. yeah we do it.

Started out as a tongue-in-cheek reference to some corporate training day that one of our mates went on, where they were all “Team ASDA” etc – but it just kind of stuck.

If it helps we also refer to ourselves as “Family x” and “Clan x” 😀

yunki
    Free Member

LOL.. I never thought of it in the sense of a corporate team before today..

my lad gets it from a TV programme about a team of rescue experts that use maths powers to solve problems..

I let him watch it cos he knows how many sides a dodecahedron has as a direct result.. 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

No, but give it a few more years and some intensive training and they will be a great mixed pair team for Endurance events, they have no choice in this matter it has been decided 😉

vinnyeh

We do, but only internally – come on team, it’s only over the next hill. 🙂
    I’m foreign anyway, so not subject to British mores.

Doesn’t everyone over here use ‘troops’ in the same way?

And wtf is your ‘puss’ if we’re knocking language usage?

fasthaggis

Team! tsk,it’s CLAN FFS 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

I often use “boys and girls” when addressing my kids, which annoys the 5yo as both our kids are boys. The other one doesn’t pay attention to it as he’s only 18mths.

Referring to your family as “team” sounds like the sort of moronic thing Americanists would do. Or people who drive a Nissan Juke / Vauxhall Mokka. The children probably all have matching coats and shoes too.

joao3v16
    Free Member

he knows how many sides a dodecahedron has as a direct result

cool, that’ll be immensely helpful for all sorts of things

😉

wwaswas

I bet this lot do;

get all the other kids into the birthing pool immediately post delivery and with placenta draped all over the side.

at least the kid on the left has the decency to look like he’s trying to run away.

vinnyeh

I often use “boys and girls” when addressing my kids, which annoys the 5yo as both our kids are boys. The other one doesn’t pay attention to it as he’s only 18mths.

Referring to your familysons as “team” “boys and girls” sounds like the sort of moronic thing Americanists the British would do.

Nothing like instilling a few gender identity issues.
    Have you read ‘The Wasp Factory”? 🙂

GrahamS

he knows how many sides a dodecahedron has as a direct result

Pffft… who cares about long extinct dinosaurs anyway?

binners

Anyway… teamwork has no part in the education of offspring. That sounds like pinko, commy, everyone-gets-a-prize, namby pamby nonsense!!! They have to learn that there are winners and losers in life!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0PwYBrYOE[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2x_DI7tzNQ[/video]

joao3v16
    Free Member

teamwork has no part in the education of offspring

Yes, there’s no “I” in team, but there is “me” …

Careful referring to your family as “team” though – they’ll grow up constantly worried that they’ll be dropped from the team if they perform badly.

Do the same morons who use “team” also carry out regular formal performance reviews of their offspring?

MrGrim

And wtf is your ‘puss’ if we’re knocking language usage?

It’s Scottish for coupon! 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s Scottish for coupon!

Which is in turn the formal word for fizzer.

trb
    Free Member

We do!!!

But generally only when we are out cycling and me & the little trbs break away from the peleton, leaving mrs trb to ride home on her own.

EDIT, sorry to bring road cycling into it…

Cougar

Perhaps there’s a difference between using it in passing – “come on, team, hurry up!” and referring to yourselves as Team Smith or whatever. The former’s just a collective noun, the latter makes me think you’re going to start doing that ‘everyone stack hands in the middle of a circle’ thing like cheerleaders do.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Perhaps there’s a difference between using it in passing … and referring to yourselves as Team …

No, their isn’t. Both equally tool-ish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Do you refer to your family as a Team?’ is closed to new replies.