Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Do you put your children on social media?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

For the wife’s birthday her sisters surprised her with framed pictures of our babies. They had a photographer come around while they were at their grannies. Anyway, after giving the pictures to my wife my sister in law got in touch to ask whether we would mind if the photographer put the pictures on her website and Facebook page, to which I instantly responded no.

I think this offended my s.i.l a bit since she knows the photographer or some such but I’m not overly worried about that. I just don’t feel particualrly comfortable putting pictures of my children on social media. I know loads of others do, and that’s fine.

Curious to hear what other peoples views are on this.

Rickos
    Free Member

On my own Facebook with my privacy settings, yes. On somebody’s commercial website, no.

bearnecessities

It’s Saturday night, the best night of the week and this is a pants thread which will only bring out more arguments and the occasional sensible view.

Christ, I’d rather see another political thread to dominate the top of the first page.

Seriously. Its been done. Many times, many places. It’s not a happy topic and no right answer.

Make your own mind up.

scotroutes

Do you drive them from place to place with a bag over their heads?

scaredypants

Presumably the pics would be totally anonymous ?

As they’re babies (and therefore essentially unrecognisable from loads of other babies) I’d allow it as long as my family promised NOT to do any of that facebook tag bullshit

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Mines just on Gridnr. It’s been a right nightmare.

jimjam
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member

It’s Saturday night, the best night of the week and this is a pants thread which will only bring out more arguments and the occasional sensible view.

Christ, I’d rather see another political thread to dominate the top of the first page.

Seriously. Its been done. Many times, many places. It’s not a happy topic and no right answer.

Make your own mind up.

Oh, sorry. I appear to have posted something which has been posted before. I didn’t realise, but I feel stupid now. I guess that’s the first time it’s happened on STW. Is there a punishment that’ll now be meted out to me, or will I just have tossers spamming the thread telling me what they would and wouldn’t like to read whilst simultaneously failing to realise that they could easily have ignored it.

MoreCashThanDash

We don’t. MrsMC works in child protection, and we avoid faceache and twitter to keep our private life private. She has seen colleagues get in a right mess when a friend of a friend of a friend turns out to be a service user. She’s also seen the chaos that ensues when adopted kids get found on the web by birth families, or vulnerable kids end up doing something inappropriate on line.

Other peoples views will vary, but we don’t put ourselves or our kids on line, other than me on here. School and the other organisations we are involved with are also under instruction not to post our kids online.

When the kids are old enough, they can make their own decisions.

rOcKeTdOg

Depends how much the photographer is willing to pay for the images for commercial use. Make sure you get a receipt

yunki
    Free Member

yup we do.. locked down social media and our oldest is also in an internationally acclaimed photography book and is obvs featured on the photographers website

he’s featured in one or two small scale local advertising campaigns too

I sort of understand the paranoia but then I also think it’s totally batshit bonkers

jimjam
    Free Member

My take on it was that ten (?) years ago we had no idea how big social media might become, ten years from now we can’t imagine what it will become. Once something’s out there it’s out there.

They’ll inevitably have their own social media whenever that time comes around, and it seems strange that a huge portion of their life will already be online, without them having the luxury of choosing what.

tang
    Free Member

I don’t.

Drac

Yes and have no issue of a photographer using the photos on their sight.

There is no issue to discuss but if parents choose not to then that’s their option.

bearnecessities

Oh, sorry. I appear to have posted something which has been posted before. I didn’t realise, but I feel stupid now. I guess that’s the first time it’s happened on STW. Is there a punishment that’ll now be meted out to me, or will I just have tossers spamming the thread telling me what they would and wouldn’t like to read whilst simultaneously failing to realise that they could easily have ignored it.

Enjoy the attention.

nealglover
    Free Member

My take on it was that ten (?) years ago we had no idea how big social media might become, ten years from now we can’t imagine what it will become. Once something’s out there it’s out there.

I agree with that, however, what difference will a few pictures of babies make ?

What are you worried might happen.

There are already 178 billion pictures of babies on the Internet, and they all look basically the same to anyone but the parents and close family.

jimjam
    Free Member

nealglover

I agree with that, however, what difference will a few pictures of babies make ?

What are you worried might happen.

I don’t know Neal. It doesn’t worry me as such but I don’t know what might happen. So I am going to err on the side of caution.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

No, none of our wee guy at all.

piemonster

Your kids

Your responsibility

Your choice

piemonster

There are already 178 billion pictures of babies on the Internet, and they all look basically the same to anyone but the parents and close family

And even some of the parents acknowledge their babies are basically as fugly as everyone else’s

P-Jay
    Free Member

If anyone is unfortunate enough to be friends with me they’ll suffer an endless stream of pictures of my kids, unedited PoV vids of me riding and jokes only I find funny.

Where’s the harm really?

DezB
    Free Member

Privately shared on Facebook, but not publicly.

Interesting that I take photos of our rugby squad, have done since they were 9 – it’s a policy that the uploaded photos are only allowed to be shared with the club and not publicly. I got a moany email from one of the club admins when I got the settings wrong too.
    Damn silly, paranoid nonsense if you ask me.

Smudger666

Social media? – I’d put them on **** eBay if I could!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Negative

scotroutes

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you drive them from place to place with a bag over their heads?

No , however if they looked like yours I would.

Yak

Yes, along with the school website, school social media, club website, club facebook site, and local paper (print and social media) when we do well in the odd race.

If you turn up at an event – any event, then you and your kids are going to be photographed and the pics appear on a website/ facebook site for purchase, viewing etc. It’s largely unavoidable.

When we were kids, if we got into the paper for sport, school stuff etc, it was a real highlight for our parents and grandparents. Anyone could buy those papers.

Kryton57

Yes and have no issue of a photographer using the photos on their sight.

Expects better.

Drac

You won’t get better from me Kryton but thanks for your useful view on the topic.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, because he’s gorgeous. If he was as ugly as some kids I see on FB, I wouldn’t, no.

I imagine there are pictures of my willy on the mobile phones of hundreds of men and women, so pictures of my boy are the least of my worries.

bearnecessities

I imagine know there are pictures of my willy on the mobile phones of hundreds of men and women, so pictures of my boy are the least of my worries.

😀

Anyhow, in other news:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@bn, I’d have phrased it your way if a) I was confident that they’d liked the pics enough to keep them and b) I wasn’t holding out the forlorn hope that some of them were actually wimminz. 🙂

Drac

Do you want to see some?

crankboy
    Free Member

Yes I even put a pic of him on here once but not one of you had the good grace to acknowledge how handsome he is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do you want to see some?

You big tease!

brakes
    Free Member

I do, but I pixelate their faces.

Kryton57

Drat. I hadn’t stopped to think that pictures of my kids may exist on a random server and in the future, could be used by an enemy of the state somehow.

Considering my natural state of paranoia, I’ve let myself down big time on this one.

Drac

Exactly. How can they become international super spies if they’re already out there.

poah
    Free Member

Anyway, after giving the pictures to my wife my sister in law got in touch to ask whether we would mind if the photographer put the pictures on her website and Facebook page, to which I instantly responded no

why would you say no? all the photographer wants to do is use them to show off his work and technically he can do it would your permission anyway what with him owning the copyright.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

what with him owning the copyright.

Does he? Even if he was commissioned to take the photos?

piemonster

er wants to do is use them to show off his work and technically he can do it would your permission anyway what

Not sure that’s actually true. I can think of an example where a woman was photographed at a conference, the photo was then used without her permission on a website. She kicked off, had the photo removed and was quids in.

And that’s before you get on to the subject of children.

I am not a lawyer, interested to see precedents or legislation on the matter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Do you put your children on social media?’ is closed to new replies.