Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do you prefer too much bike or too little?
  • lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I suppose that could be put as; do you like the sensation of speed without the danger or the sensation of danger without the speed?

I think I like the latter. At 6’2 and 16 stone most bikes feel a bit small/light for me but I like it. For quite a while my only bike was a battered old 15″ Saracen frame with 8 gears, 24″ Halos and Dirt Jumpers in it. I rode it hard at Chipshop, Gawton and our own downhilly tracks. I was not that quick top to bottom but I loved it, the flighty handling, the Nokian tyres, the horror..

Put it this way; I rode my brothers DH rig at Chipshop and I was pedalling hard through a very rooty section that, on my bike, I was fighting to roll over straight. It was amazing to me and obviously so much faster but at the same time boring. What was previously a tricky, technical bit of track was now just a run up to the next bit. The challenge and the need to consciously ride it had gone.

Anyway I don’t try to kid myself that I actually enjoy peddling up long hills anymore so maybe my question’s got a limited audience as I know there’s plenty of people on here who do. Though I am building up a 20″ bike so maybe that will change.

weeksy

When I buy and ride bigger bikes, I ride bigger stuff, then hurt myself. Lol.

I can sit there and ride nice gentle xc but its not quite the same as nailing a trail.

kerley
    Free Member

I prefer too little (which is why I am just building up another brakeless, fixed track bike as my only off road bike)

I was taking it easy on a rigid single speed for last 18 months but missed the challenge.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve gone to both ends of the spectrum right now… Loving my 160mm travel enduro bike for all sorts of riding, but also spending a bit of time riding my CX bike like a mountain bike on the same trails too from time to time!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Yeah I hear that. I don’t think I know how to take it easy, it does feel like I’m missing out sometimes.

brakeless, fixed track bike

Cripes. That makes me and my bikes look decadent, full respect to you. There is a set of ridgid forks about I could borrow for that 20″ build (a 456 evo) I mentioned..

ajantom

Guess which camp I fall into…..
    I just did 14 miles of rooty & rocky singletrack on a single speed, rigid, coaster braked Klunker 😉
    Oh, and the gearing is way too high!

rusty90
    Free Member

I prefer too little (which is why I am just building up another brakeless, fixed track bike as my only off road bike)

Pah. You big softy with your skills compensator.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do you prefer too much bike or too little?’ is closed to new replies.