Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do you pack chain oil in your kit?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

I only ask because I did:
    A6
    Middlewood Way (total mud fest)
    Macc Canal path (the Somme)
    Leather Smithy
    Charity Lane (currently a small river)
    upto Cat'n'Fiddle
    Axe Edge Moor (in the clouds)
    Cumbernauld / Wildboarclough (dodging the migrating salmon)
    back into Macc Forest
    home on the road via Silk Road A625 A6 etc

…..and I was completey bereft of lube in the chain dept.

stumpy01

If I know/suspect it's going to be a mud/water-fest then i generally do.
    Especially if it's an all day ride.
    For a quick blast, I don't bother and more times than noteven if I take the lube, I then don't use it.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Sits in the camelbak all the time – don't notice it's there unless I need it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a tiny bottle which previously contained a form of travelling toothpaste. When I remember, I carry this, full of oil.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Sometimes if it's going to be grim- a mostly-empty bottle in one of the outside pockets on a Camelbak doesn't take much space/weight.

bomberman
    Free Member

No but i give the chain a deep clean and lube after every couple of muddy rides. whats the point in lubing a muddy chain? it's pointless as you're just making a grinding-paste

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

bomberman- a muddy chain is already in a grinding paste and wont be made any worse, carrying lube might stop a dry chain (washed free of lube by puddle water etc) from sucking. Ive done a few wet all-day rides where water rather than mud (wales, french alps etc) had attacked the chain, and had I had the foresight to take lube with me (which I hadnt) it would have prevented the resulting chain suck.

theotherjonv

I've got a little fish out of one of the supermarket sushi boxes filled with chain oil for 'emergencies'

clubber
    Free Member

I carry a freebie bottle of oil (purple extreme) in my camelbak. As above, oil+mud is better for the drivetrain than water+mud.

D0NK

Big rides yes short rides no all year.
    Dry lube in summer, wet in winter.
    Finish line green is doing a sterling job at the moment, normally lasts a 25ish mile ride ok, if chain starts sticking/sucking I will re-apply, grinding paste vs chainsuck? Hmm

Coleman
    Free Member

Never leave home without any! Along with my headset press and bottom bracket facing tools. 😛

thomthumb
    Free Member

what!! can't believr your all saying yes. everyone rips into me for having a bag full of crap but i'd never take lube.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I use a "fish" that you get in sushi boxes full of oil – decent amount 🙂

nicko74

I take it in the carbag (with the shock pump, adjustable spanner etc) but not in the camelbak. What if I land on it, have it burst onto me, and then my rolling around in the leaves sparks a fire?!! 😯

miketually
    Free Member

I've never really felt the need to lube a chain mid-ride, even on really wet rides.

Might be worth taking for multi-day rides though, to prevent a rusty chain the next day..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do you pack chain oil in your kit?’ is closed to new replies.