Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Do you need to protect the chain stay on a s/s specific mtb frame
  • fozworth
    Free Member

Im building an on one inbread single speed mountain bike and will be running a chain tug and 32/16 gearing.As the chain will be always taught do i need to worry about a chain stay protector in case of chain suck etc as it shouldnt really come off right ?

tazzymtb

no need for a chain stay protector, they are only for w@nky geardangler bikes

sc-xc

How about if a swan pecks at it? Better safe than sorry is what my old ma always used to say.

singlespeedstu

I have a chainstay protector on my ss that says my other bikes are w@nkey geardangler bikes.

brodie
    Free Member

Mine is just covered in stickers, saves fuss when the rear wheel is out or the chain drops.

ononeorange

What if a meteorite breaks up and showers the right hand rear stay in little hot bits of pointy rocks? I’m with sc-xc on this.

fozworth
    Free Member

So unless the chain snaps I shouldn’t get any issues, right

Markie
    Free Member

If the chain snaps then chainstay damage will be the least of your concerns…

There is no need for a chainstay protector.

brodie
    Free Member

My chain shattered like glass once, mainly because I have thighs like Contador. My chainstay was showered in tiny splinters of white hot nickel. I dont take any chances now.

jezandu
    Free Member

If you are using a tensioner yes if a chain tug no.

tazzymtb

If you are using a tensioner yes if a chain tug no.

do what?

if you are using a tensioner the chain is under enough tension that it can’t bounce and hit the chain stay. 😯

Duffer
    Free Member

if you are using a tensioner the chain is under enough tension that it can’t bounce and hit the chain stay.

Unless you induce a rift in the Time/Space continuum.

Come on people, start sparking.

😉

brodie
    Free Member

Come on people, start sparking.

Sparks 😯

Another reason to have a chainstay protector.

singlespeedstu

My chain shattered like glass once, mainly because I have thighs like Contador.

My chainstay once shattered under my awsumz singlespeed power.
    Good job I had a bit of neopreen covering the chain or it could have scratched it.

ononeorange

What about worm holes? Eh? Eh? Surely the pesky worm could bore into the chainstay?

Duffer
    Free Member

A more serious note to the OP:

The role of a chainstay protector is to ward off damage caused by Chainslap.

Chanslap is caused by the dérailleur flexing, allowing the chain to move vertically and “slap” against the chainstay. On a Singlespeed, the absence of a dérailleur means that the chain can’t hit the Chainstay.

In summary – no dérailleur means no requirement for a Chainstay Protector. (that’s not to say you’re not allowed one if you want one…)

Keef
    Free Member

I went for a ride today,and didn’t take my umbrella,thank the gods of singlespeediness it didn’t rain….

honourablegeorge

I usually wrap an old roadie inner tube around mine regardless ‘cos I’m inclined to rub my heels on the chainstays.

Keef
    Free Member

and I forgot to wrap my tyres in bubble wrap…….

tazzymtb

and do your crank bolt up keef! 😆

Keef
    Free Member

one crank is the new niche,don’t u know 😉

saw Jules mincing about on a fireroad an all………

scaredypants

I have thighs like Contador

If that child was as heavy as me he’d not get the bike off the line

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Do you need to protect the chain stay on a s/s specific mtb frame’ is closed to new replies.