Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Do you mind being overtaken by a woman? ;-)
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I generally ride everywhere as hard as I can. I know that I’m not the fittest or the fastest, but I never pootle along. Consequently, I sometimes catch up men who are ambling along happily….. Until they see they’re being over-taken by a 40-something woman…. The look of horror on their faces and their subsequent acceleration is hilarious. 🙂
    I was riding the initial “3-mile climb” at Llandegla on Sunday, trying to beat my best time, and caught up a couple riding together. The bloke was all Lycra’ed up with matching kit, and looked fit. He was not happy to see me pass. They accelerated and tried to catch me twice but the woman couldn’t keep up and I left them behind. Then, several minutes later they overtook me, with him pushing her with his hand on her back, the rest of the way to the top. I’m not sure what he was trying to prove to me!
    Do you mind being over taken by middle-aged women?! 😛

Sandwich

Not at all, but sometimes it can be distracting 😉

pondo
    Free Member

Nope, happens to me all the time. That bloke sounds like he has issues! 🙂

Merak

My hero!

simondbarnes

Not in the slightest

Daffy

It wouldn’t even occur to me to differentiate…now, should you have happened to be on an ebike, it would’ve been a point of pride to hand your ass to you on a platter*

*% of ass handery decreases proportional to ebike wattage increase 🙁

tjagain

Nope – I am confident in who I am.

FuzzyWuzzy

I got used to it early in life, I started racing as a junior and we’d start with the women in most races. I was pretty crap and you had people like Louise Jones racing at the time so I soon got used to getting dropped (and lapped in crits) by women.

To be honest the only people I don’t like getting overtaken by is commuters when I’m out on an evening training ride but again that’s because I’m rubbish :p

martinhutch

You don’t want to know what goes on in the mind of certain insecure middle-aged men. 🙂

Did you put the hammer down to extract the most fun possible out of lycra man’s discomfort?

matt_outandabout

Everyone wants to overtake the pony tail, eh?
    It shouldn’t matter, but us blokes are delicate little things when it comes to chauvinistic pride.

richmars

Happened too many times (mostly running races and triathlons) for me to worry.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about being overtaken by women on E-bikes Motorbikes?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I may or may not chase depending on what takes my fancy but it wouldn’t make any difference whether you were a man or woman. If I were riding with my other half I certainly wouldn’t, I’d just say hi as you went past. I’m a 40 something male if it makes a difference

wilburt
    Free Member

A few weeks back I was riding up Box Hill wearing a ADH shirt, middle age lady draws up to the side of me wearing the same shirt. Nice shirt she says, did you buy it mail order and pisses off up the road!

That was annoying.

scotroutes

I was “riding with” Lee Craigie last weekend in Wales. I did see her briefly when I was opening a gate.

hatter

Of of my best riding buddies is not only female but has had NPS XC points to her name.

So I’m kinda used to it.

chiefgrooveguru

Brilliant. My wife just mentioned similar looks of horror when overtaking people on her Brompton.

When I’d just returned to MTBing back in 2009 my first singletrack ride ever was having a go a the Big Dog XC race – I suspect I was overtaken by every woman in the race, uphill and down!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nope. I was lapped several time by women at the Stroud CX on Sunday. More annoyed that I was lapped than who did it.

senorj

Not one little bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, I’ve had the pleasure of riding with some extremely talented and fit women. We all ride to our strengths.

beej

Women who I’m not riding with? Of course not. Sames goes for men too. I’m generally doing my own thing.

Women who I’m on a ride with? Of course. Same goes for men too. Group rides get competitive!

wwaswas

I was overtaken by every woman in the race, uphill and down!

plus ça change 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Years ago I used to go out training rides with a woman whose lowest gear was 42×19.

She would kick my arse on every hill. At, er, certain times of the month she would really lay it down and absolutely take no prisoners!

I was just grateful she would wait at the top for me… 😆

milky1980
    Free Member

I ride for fun so don’t care if someone’s faster or slower than me regardless of their sex, presumed everyone else thought the same!! I’ll never be the fastest and I’m not the slowest so it’s all fine with me 😀

stealthcat

Judging by my experiences commuting in Sheffield, there are a few male commuters here with issues – either they object to being overtaken by a woman, or by a rider on a hybrid, or both, but they have to try to overtake again…

kerley
    Free Member

Gender makes no difference
    – if I am trying hard and get overtaken then it makes me realise I am not really as good as I think I am
    – if I am coasting along then who cares

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

There’s always someone faster, fitter, braver, stupider than you on the trails. I sometimes try to make people work for the overtake but usually on climbs I’m in my own world of pain so just get on with it.

mogrim

Couldn’t care less, although on the road I’d probably sprint and try and catch your back wheel for a free draft.

bikebouy
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    No, I’ve had the pleasure of riding with some extremely talented and fit women. We all ride to our strengths.

This +1

jekkyl

any evidence that he sped up because of your sex? or did you just infer it because it gives you a kick to be faster than a man? 😛

BigDummy
    Free Member

I do not mind being over taken by middle-aged women. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My wife just mentioned similar looks of horror when overtaking people on her Brompton.

I used to hack around That London’s Famous London on a 1980s Raleigh Cameo. The MAMILs racing the Etape du Embankment used to visibly shake with rage when I overtook them, or still worse, just sat drafting them. 😈

wwaswas

Would I ‘chase down’ some random person who went past me? No

Do I try and catch people I see in the distance if I’m riding alone? Yes.

Both regardless of gender.

shortcut

I’ve got used to it!!

leftyboy
    Free Member

No I don’t like being overtaken by anyone but as I’m not very fit it happens a lot 🙂

The gender of the overtaker is totally irrelevant I’ll try and chase them whatever! I see it as a bit of mild ‘training’!

My 13 year old son now passes me on the harder hills and annoyingly he chats as he does so!

rickmeister

You should keep a few of Charlie The Bike Monger’s stickers in your pocket for fragile egos…

The “Suck It Up Princess” one should do nicely….

rocketman
    Free Member

Difficult to say as it’s never happened

theotherjonv

I overtook one of the regular podium finishers from Gorrick’s Female Expert category whilst having a bimble at Tunnel Hill at the weekend. On a hill, and I wasn’t even trying that hard.

(she was out riding with her young daughter, prob 7 or 8 years old give or take. They’ll both be faster than me in another year or two….)

PS. I was quite nice about it though, as on the next section, instead of making them eat my dust I stopped to clear a grisly disembowelled pigeon off the path rather than letting them ride through it. It was like the bird version of game of thrones.

jam-bo

talked about mixed metaphors

“dry your eyes princess” and “suck it up buttercup”

ampthill

I would say it is not a problem

But I do think that some respect should be shown for my fragile ego.

On the road in the Peak a woman passed me on a climb. No problem. She then stopped after about 100 yards to put on a jacket. She then over took me again. I’m sure she didn’t do it on purpose but she made it very clear that she was able to ride up the hill faster than me, but with so little effort she was getting cold….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Do you mind being overtaken by a woman? ;-)’ is closed to new replies.