Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • do you lust after a bike ,even though you don't do that type of riding e.t.c?
  • racefaceec90

i have absolutely no bike skills whatsoever (also am 37),but since reading the bmx thread i have been lusting after one of these 😳

i know that i couldn’t do it any justice if i could afford to buy one.i would always be too self conscious if i did ride it (as people would automatically expect me to be able to backflip e.t.c 😯 also it is so far removed from any riding that i do (just pootle about on my duster).

the thing is though,that i cannot i just cannot stop myself from wanting one (not that i have so much as a penny saved up to buy it YET!) 😳
    i know i’m not alone with this affliction though,so own up people 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Of course… It’s natural as a cyclist, and it’s part of the “n+1” theory…

I have an lightish trail hardtail and a mid travel full sus bike, and a cheap road bike. I’d like a DH bike, a proper lightweight road bike, a 29er HT, a singlespeed, a dirt jump bike, a proper lightweight carbon XC bike etc etc…

The reason I don’t own the others (aside from money) is that I my skills, ability and the type of riding I generally do, doesn’t warrant the rest. In fact I’m having a hard time justifying keeping a road bike at all at the moment!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I NEED a Santa Cruz V10, although there is very little DH here it would be useful…..

druidh
    Free Member

No. All of my bikes are for riding and they’ve been chosen to do the type of riding I want to do.

tomhoward

Bikes I want, irrespective of my ability to ride them.

A 160mm trail bike (preferably carbon)
    A long travel steel HT
    A 100mm fs carbon race bike
    A carbon race HT
    A carbon DH bike
    A DJ bike
    A 20in trials bike
    A 26in trials bike
    A singlespeed HT
    A road bike
    A TT bike
    A BMX
    A CX bike
    And probably a fat bike.

*Scuttles off to check lottery numbers….

RobHilton
    Free Member

36 and have one of these – it’s great to ride but I can do sod all with it :mrgreen:

Also have one of these and, while I’m capable of pointing it down hills, living in the East Mids means it’s also fairly surplus to requirements

Having them means I no longer lust after such items, so am free to go merrily about my life.

TiRed

Of course… On my list 😳
    Windcheetah – who wouldn’t 8)
    Another Brompton
    A FS 29er fast XC bike
    Another road bike for winter duties
    A Ti-framed fixed commuting road bike to replace my current steel one
    An off-road tandem

JoeG
    Free Member

Why isn’t one of these on anyone’s list?

Full suspension!

xcneil
    Free Member

Dare I say it a TT bike ……

godzilla
    Free Member

322, nuff said.

sheephills
    Free Member

I also wants new bikes all the time,
    I have a scott voltage which i only use when on holiday in Leogang, or a couple of times a year on the nearest dull, short dh track.
    I have a 24″ bmx cruiser which i use and love.
    I have a 26 ss which gets alittle use, then a faction bmx w 22″ wheels – i ride it very little.

I would like a fatbike, a rigid 29 ss , etc.

When i was riding bmx it was so much easier, on bike to do it all, easy to take on flights, solid and affordable..

Wookster

Yes many many!! Ti CX bike (although thats more practical really) orange patriot a “drop of over 18” is too rich for my blood!?! 😳

Still you need a day dream don’t ya!!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

One of these would be nice!

Don’t do downhill, but will have one, one day when i win the Lotto! 🙂

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I am very guilty of the lust thing

Bikes I have
    Time trial
    CX
    Road race
    Custom steel road
    Steel light tourer
    Hardtail MTB
    Flatland BMX
    Cheapo race BMX
    Fixed gear road

Plus assorted other frames and parts.

Bikes I want
    Full suss lightweight trail MTB
    a lighter flatland BMX
    a nicer race BMX
    a carbon road race
    Custom steel Hardtail MTB
    Proper DH/slopestyle beast
    A nice dirt jump MTB and BMX

yunki
    Free Member

all that’s preventing this is cashflow..
    I used to have a fair bit of trials potential as that style of riding seemed to be our main focus as street kids, even though we’d never seen it or heard of it..
    I’m fairly certain that my adult biomechanical structure 30 odd years down the line would thoroughly disagree though..

honourablegeorge

That V10 picture confirms one of my secret bicycling shames – I don’t buy Maxxis tyres because I don’t like the yellow logos on them.

simmy
    Free Member

I have a Hardtail newish mountain bike.

1999 mountain bike i’ve just put slicks on to make quicker on the road.

My 1st mountain bike from 89ish which is a bone shaker but love it.

Would love a Orange 5 despite only pootling around and being scared of ICR and San Marino.

Might make me more confident though….

cakefacesmallblock

S’funny you should say that George. Was looking at my ever upgraded Trance yesterday and thinking that the yellow graphic on my front High Roller spoils it, even to the point of trying to find out if any of the cans of automotive of bike cleaning stuff in the garage might remove it, then I realised….mud…that’s what it needs.

honourablegeorge

cakefacesmallblock – Member
    S’funny you should say that George. Was looking at my ever upgraded Trance yesterday and thinking that the yellow graphic on my front High Roller spoils it, even to the point of trying to find out if any of the cans of automotive of bike cleaning stuff in the garage might remove it, then I realised….mud…that’s what it needs.

They do look better with a coat of mud. A sharpie will take the logo out too, as per lots of the pros.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Go for it, that WTP looks even nicer in the flesh 😛

37?? I was over 40 when I bought my first – skills are still in negative equity some 13 years later but the smile more than makes up for it! 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

+1 for the Santa Cruz V10! I already have a Bullit and barely do that justice but the V10 looks so good.

NormalMan

This thread is bad for me! 😯

I am mainly road riding now (carbon bike plus alu trainer/bad weather bike) but also ride my steel ht. However I keep thinking of getting a bmx for those ‘pop to post a letter’ type moments.
    Always wanted a Mongoose back in early 80’s so thinking of something like this:
    http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/43476/Mongoose_Subject_2012_BMX_Bike

My battle is feeling too old for a BMX at 38. My kids are cool with my roadie kit, they ride mtbs with me but is dad on a bmx a bridge too far!

sheephills
    Free Member

Age is no limit, look at this part, jason enns is mid 30is and still evolve..my fav. Part atm., great music and super riding..

We never gets too old to pop wheelies 🙂

[video]http://vimeo.com/m/45230635[/video]

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Full on downhill bikes look impressive to me. I couldn’t do them justice, far from it. They look great though.

_tom_
    Free Member

I really want one of these. I do actually DJ quite a bit so it would get used, but not sure if its worth having this as well as a trails bmx.. could always replace my mtb hardtail with one though I guess!

PJM1974
    Free Member

My own riding is very much the “mincing around the trail centre or local woods” type variety, but I cannot help myself sometimes. My own AM bike has 160mm forks and is far, far burlier than I need it to be. But she’s very pretty.

I bought myself a steel hardtail a while back for commuting on, but it seems to have sprouted a Hope wheelset, SLX gears and cranks, a Rockshox Pike I had spare and will very soon gain a set of Hope Minis.

All I wanted was a low maintenance hack bike. When will I ever learn?

RealMan
    Free Member

I do ride DH, but just couldn’t justify having this

I’m not even going to think about buying a full sus till I feel like I’m going fast enough to warrant it.

Also I once saw a ti park bmx. I don’t ride park at all. I dribbled a little.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo. In white. Preferably the HD with all the bare carbon inlays, but not too fussy 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘do you lust after a bike ,even though you don't do that type of riding e.t.c?’ is closed to new replies.