Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Do you lubricate your sliders?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

double entendres aside do folk put any lubrication on their fork stanchions and rear shock?

I’ve never stripped my forks down (mainly as they don’t get much use) but I do lightly spray Comma spray grease on them after each clean.

Am I wasting my time or does every little help?

failedengineer

EP90 gear oil smeared on the sliders when clean, me. It is reputedly the same stuff as Fox Float fluid. Silicone spray is also quite effective.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I use Fork Juice….

letmetalktomark

Std castrol fork oil here.

Apply then push down several times seems to bring out hidden dirt from the dust seals.

Keeps my RS forks feeling plush – well to me it does 😛

neninja
    Free Member

Fork Juice (used silicon spray before that or wet chain lube)

It must work as I did a seal/wiper service on my Fox’s a couple of weeks ago and the foam rings were really clean.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I just use cheapo oil too and it makes the forks plush as you like.

Fork Juice smells nice but is 8 quid a can. Silicone spray is 99p a can.

Someone will be along soon to say, “it’s only 8 pound, and your forks cost £500.”

martinhurton
    Free Member

I’ve always used a teflon spray, push them down a few times and wipe off any excess. Same stuff I use on my mechs as well.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

fork oil also works well

rocketman
    Free Member

A little wet chain lube does the job just fine. No need for anything exotic, all you are doing is lubricating the dust seal/wiper at the top of the sliders.

Cycle the forks a few times and wipe the tide mark off the stanchions.

m1kea
    Free Member

A little wet chain lube does the job just fine. No need for anything exotic, all you are doing is lubricating the dust seal/wiper at the top of the sliders.

Cycle the forks a few times and wipe the tide mark off the stanchions.

Ah good point :-). I’ve got two tubes of Pedros wet stuff and hate it for lubing chains and cables. I’ll promote it to slider lubrication

mttm
    Free Member

Yes. Whatever’s in the fork lowers, on the fork stanchions. But just to lift the muck out of the seals i.e. cycle them a few times and wipe off. Never had stanchion wear on anything.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Fork juice it’s only 8 pound and your forks cost £500!

Orangejohn
    Free Member

A friend of mine had some XXXckered stanchions on some 36 TALAS forks which he sent back to MOJO. A guy from there spent a good while explaining to him that they disapproved of Fork Juice and Silicon Spray. Apparently the finish of the forks has microscopic holes which carry the lubrication oil of the fork; silicon clogs up these holes which then prevents the oil effectively lubing the seal/ bushing etc. There advice was to use only Fork Oil (though I dare say wet lube, float fluid is all very similar). It sounds possible to me so have now stopped using Fork Juice. Any comment?

julianwilson
    Free Member

there was a link posted to something on southerndownhill about Juice Lubes Fork Juice.

Long and the short of it was that is a little bit better than generic silicon spray, but it also by no means Juice Lubes’ own original formulation: the guy chose it to sell as fork juice as exactly what window manufacturers use to put between large sheets of glass, somthing to do with the ‘slipperiness under pressure’ which is better than dashboard spray.

-so if you can find that for less than £7 a can you are onto something.

rickmeister

Silicone spray,

My forks cost £8 and fork Juice is £500 !

uplink
    Free Member

I have a sponge that’s loaded with standard suspension fluid
    After washing I just wipe the stanchions and pump the fork a bit before wiping of the excess

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Um, you need to be mindful of using synthetic stanchion lubrication if your forks contain synthetic oil, and dino lube if your forks contain dino oil.

As per Marzocchi recommendation I use synthetic fork oil (Castrol), and clean out and pack the fork wipers with synthetic grease occasionally (can be done without fork disassembly).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rarely. All it does is attract more dirt IMO. Keep em clean and service once a year and that’s it. 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Tri-flow

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Do you lubricate your sliders?’ is closed to new replies.