Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do you loctite chainring bolts??
  • S_J
    Free Member

I'm Just in the process of changing the chainrings on my XTR chainset for the first time, and noted there was a lot of thread locker on the bolts. I don't normally bother with anything other than a dab of grease but I have had bolts come loose before. I've also heard people say that they NEVER go near it for chainring bolts. Any comments?

cynic-al
    Free Member

grease.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I don't bother but if you got it to hand you may as well use it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coppaslip / grease.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not so bad for the small ring bolts, but for the others it's difficult to "grasp" the nut by it's slot, even if you have a proper tool. So no, just a little grease and nip them up in a pattern going around. I started carrying a spare bolt in my pack – toolkit.

A "hot" tip I was given about loctite-stuck bolts is to heat them with a lighter which softens the loctite.

S_J
    Free Member

The factory fitted bolts took some real effort to get off actually, which I guess should be a warning. At least XTR bolts are Torx both sides, much easier to get decent purchase.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I am from now on!

lost two and cracked my only front chainring 4 miles from the car on Sunday. 'Scooting' home soon became tedious only out weighed by over taking people on the downs with no gears ;o)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

yes ever since having one come loose many years ago.

z1ppy

Haven't previously, only as I hadn't got any thread-lock, but now I have some, everythings going to be threadlocked! Admittedly with the low strength 222 stuff, not the full strength stuff.
    Why? Cause I've lost chainring bolts before now, and destroyed a nicely expensive Middleburn middle ring due to it.

Mascy
    Free Member

Coppaslip everytime here. No probs in years of use.

On this subject though – and not wishing to hijack the thread – why oh why did Shimano switch to Torx bolts after years of 5mm allen heads? I understand the point above about potentially better purchase etc but it's an odd sized Torx (T30 if I recall?) and no multi tool manufacturer I knew of at the time had a T30 on their tool. If you don't overtighten a 5mm, they're just fine. T25 I could have lived with being the same size as disc bolts, but T30 just pissed me (and I'm sure, plenty of others) off.

(Admittedly, I was doing the Transalp that year & it was just one more tool I didn't want to pack every day!)

S_J
    Free Member

You need a T30 & a T40 for the main bolts! I had to buy a set from homebase as I didn't have any either. Whilst it's a pain if you dont have the tools, I do feel that it's a much better system that the chainring tool plus 5mm allen bolt.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"why oh why did Shimano switch to Torx bolts after years of 5mm allen heads?"

T27 on XT I thought – yes it hacks me off too.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

No. But a dab of Tippex on all critical bolts as witness marks. Only takes a quick glance before each ride to make sure that nothing is getting loose.

oxym0r0n

Not anymore, after undoing them and trying to do them up again…

The loctite stayed on the bolts and made them difficult to tighten – they just rotated even though I have the special Shimano pin tool 😥

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do you loctite chainring bolts??’ is closed to new replies.