Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do you live in Plymouth? If so do you ride a recumbent?
  • richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Because if you're the guy I keep seeing around you're going to get killed very soon!

Let me spell it out – drivers can barely see you, you have'nt even got one of the little 'warning flags' up and when I last saw you you were riding down a busy dual carriageway in rush hour NEXT to a cycle lane!!

You, my short-life-expectency-friend, are giving cyclists a bad name.

julianwilson
    Free Member

He's 'core! 😉

I see him around a lot too anywhere between Mount Gould and St Mary's bridge in Plympton. He is so low to the ground I will be sad but not suprised to hear of him going under an artic or similarly high up vehicle.

Although with regards to the cyclepath bit, I ride it daily and there is at least one bit with railings/road crossing chicane thing that you would have a right old time getting his (2 front wheels) recumbent round/through, and the bit betwwen Laira and Sainsburys is so narrow it would be rather scary for many less gnarly cyclists to pass him.

You, my short-life-expectency-friend, are giving cyclists a bad name.

Not planning on distributing any nichey recumbent parts any time soon then? 😆

Dibbs
    Free Member

richie = Victor Meldrew

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Not thinking about recumbent parts just yet but figure body bags might come in useful soon!
    Dibbs – I learnt everything I know from you! 🙂

westkipper
    Free Member

A lot of folk that ride recumbents (in so much as there are such people!) think that the WTF is that? factor means that they get a bit more attention than a normal rider wth every visiblity aid going. I could buy that.
    Was this guy doing anything illegal?
    If not, well, its his concern what he rides…
    (staying outside the cyclelanes a good idea BTW)

jond
    Free Member

>A lot of folk that ride recumbents (in so much as there are such people!) think that the WTF is that? factor means that they get a bit more attention than a normal rider wth every visiblity aid going. I could buy that.

As a recumbent rider, I *can* vouch for the fact that that's true, certainly in assorted traffic conditions in N Surrey/edge of London.
    Flags ? – jury's out on whether they help, but I'd rather not carry one – I have to put up with ever more prats shouting out of car windows (Clios are the new Nova?) than on a normal bike, giving 'em something to grab hold off strikes me as a bad idea !

Ah, just reread the above – he's got a trike. Mine's fairly low but a 2 wheeler – seat's about 14 inches off the floor, so my head's at driver level (good for giving 'em the evil eye when they start doing a stupid overtake. Trikes are good fun – human powered karts – but I'd be wary of using one in busy traffic – which is why I settled on mine.
    Must admit I'd be more inclined to try a flag on a trike.

That said, there was an old fellow used to live nearby – popped off at about 99 after 30ish years of cycling (ill health, not under a truck !) – and he had several trikes, tho' he probably was out on them outside peak commute times.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i take it your referring to the 'dude' who wears full americano stylee bandana with big headphones whilst ignoring the fekk out of all the other road users around marsh mills roundabout, seen him a few times around and often thought his days are numbered…

RealMan
    Free Member

I saw a guy on a recumbent riding the local bmx pump track. Looked mentally unstable, and not very comfortable at all. He wasn't very good at it either.

jond
    Free Member

>recumbent riding the local bmx pump track

There are few that are intended to be off-road friendly:
    Mad Max Evo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh47ubjZFLE&feature=related
    Azub
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uVpw2QYupQ

There's also a bmx-stylee trike – the KMX – a couple of kids a few doors away have one each. P'raps he's on one of those ?

Somewhere on youtube there's some footage of German guys doing a 4x course on Hase Kettweisels, which is another trike (but higher, one wheel at the front, two at the back, aka delta, rather than tadpole)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do you live in Plymouth? If so do you ride a recumbent?’ is closed to new replies.