Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Do you ignore zebra crossings?
  • Cheezpleez

Well, do you?

swavis

Er, no

hugor
    Free Member

no. why would you?

Gorehound
    Free Member

Nope only car drivers do that don’t they. 😉

argoose
    Free Member

Don’t you mean only drivers on phones, thought you didn’t need to stop at crossings or roundabouts

crocodilian
    Free Member

Maybe when I was an annoying shit of a teen but not now, no.

_tom_
    Free Member

On the bike sometimes, if I can see I’ll easily make it across without hitting/near missing the person walking across. In the car I don’t ignore them.

donsimon
    Free Member

I what sense? I try to avoid the white bits in the wet.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

No. When I’m using them I expect traffic to respect them so why wouldn’t I do the same?

Drac

No.

butcher

It would be pretty stupid to ignore them when someone is crossing, or waiting to cross.

If there is no-one there, then yes, it is fine 😕

seven
    Free Member

No. Do you?

project
    Free Member

A Zebra is a big animal to ignore isnt it.

scaredypants

have considered clotheslining the odd biker who does – luckily I don’t cross many so haven’t had a proper opportunity

iain1775
    Free Member

Yes, no, maybe, sometimes, depends on the circumstances
    Not sure I can give you a black and white answer on this I’m afraid

Northwind

Is there any way you can answer “yes” to this without marking yourself out as a dangerous driver/cyclist and terminal ****?

Mind you as a pedestrian you do have to be out of your mind to assume that oncoming drivers will stop for you- too many dangerous drivers/cyclists who are terminal ****s.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I do sometimes, I don’t know why but have a real urge to do it when i’m riding my fixie and accidentally wearing my wife’s levi’s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    have considered clotheslining the odd biker who does

I’ve dropped a shoulder in to a few who have. They came off worse.

Perhaps they should have had wider bars. And brakes. And gears, maybe. Funny, there’s something about it….They were all on the same sort of bike…..

But overall, they shouldn’t have tried to run through a zebra crossing at speed when there were pedestrians, with right of way, on it. Especially when said pedestrian was me.

Sandwich

No because I try not to be a **** to others.

mattjg
    Free Member

No.

project
    Free Member

nearly got taken out by a stupid blind b,,,,d today on the dock road in liverpool,on a pedestrian crossing,if anyone sees a partially sighted driver with dodgy brakes driving a green fiat punto y reg,tell them red means stop, and specsavers have special offers for the terminally thick,who dont obey traffic signals.

butcher

Mind you as a pedestrian you do have to be out of your mind to assume that oncoming drivers will stop for you- too many dangerous drivers/cyclists who are terminal ****s

I was in Italy last year and I didn’t realise this was the norm over there until I’d spent many, many minutes waiting at a zebra crossing. All of a sudden some guy comes plodding along and casually steps out in front of a car. Of course I thought he was some kind of lunatic so stayed put….eventually someone seen me for the stupid foreigner I was and kindly stopped for me.

At first I thought the drivers were being rude. It too me a while to figure out that this was standard etiquette and that they’re incredibly on the ball, ready to stop at a moments notice.

Very different to here unfortunately where they will be shouting and balling at you.

vinnyeh

It seems to me that a lot of pedestrians seem to think that if they are within 20 feet of the crossing then they have the right to step out into the road without looking, or warning, expecting traffic to behave as if they were on the stripes.

Oh, and I despise cyclists that treat them as a cycle path, just using different markings. Walk your bike across, ffs, for the benefit of pedestrians and other road users, and for the good image of cycling.

project
    Free Member

a lot of crossings are now designated for cyclists and horse riders as well, if there is a pictogram of a horse or bike you are allowed to ride acrross on it in safety.

The one i was using is a pedestrian crossing and i was wheeling my bike.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’d love to see a zebra…crossing 😆

antigee

expecting traffic to behave as if they were on the stripes. they were going to cross the road but hadn’t realised that traffic is

much,much,much,much,muchmuch,much,much,much,
    more important and won’t be slowing down on the off chance

vinnyeh

The one i was using is a pedestrian crossing and i was wheeling my bike.

Project, wasn’t directed at you.

expecting traffic to behave as if they were on the stripes. they were going to cross the road but hadn’t realised that traffic is
    more important and won’t be slowing down on the off chance

Nice edit to totally destroy the context of my words. 🙄

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve dropped a shoulder in to a few who have. They came off worse.

Especially when said pedestrian was me.

😆

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i use a zebra crossing everyday with my dogs, its at the bottom of a big dip so if i see a bike coming i wave it through so they can carry speed up the other side.

everyday cars stream through it though. last week 4 cars went through while i was halfway across……the third was a cop van 🙁 with the two coppers merrily chatting away to each other.

mintimperial

Obviously I stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings because I’m not a complete **** ****.

I had a bizarre “after you – no after you” exchange with a mum with two kids in tow on a zebra the other week. She wasn’t unfriendly at all – I was waiting for her to cross but she wouldn’t go until I insisted, and seemed surprised that I’d even bother to slow down for her let alone stop.

MarkN
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M[/video]

What goes around come around..

danceswithcats

mintimperial, I’m always charmed by the surprise and thanks I get for stopping for zebra crossings. I can vividly picture your experience.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

No: they’d make a mess of the bodywork if I did.

mjsmke

I always stop at zebra crossings on the bike and in the car. Apart from once when i was going up a long hill and a pedestrian at a crossing waved me to carry on (i must have looked tired!).

A few times when i’ve stopped on a local road cars have just overtaken me and shocked pedestrians and myself.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Do you ignore zebra crossings?’ is closed to new replies.