Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Do you have to use UST tyres on tubeless rims?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Okay daughter has some new Hope evo with stans flow rims, so can she use current tyres either wire Nobby nic evo or folding kenda blue groove or maxxis ignator fr folding or that impossible?

Northwind

You can use any tyres, no bother. The tubelessness is an extra.

andrewh
    Free Member

Normal tyres will work fine on UST rims (use a tube!) but will be a PITA to get on and off as the seal on the rim will make it really tight. Get some good tyre levers…

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vondally
    Free Member

andrewh sorry does use a tube mean

andrewh
    Free Member

Looks like half a question…
    To answer what I think you are saying, if you have a non-UST tyre on a UST rim the seal won’t be very good some having it tubeless will be problematic, but a non-UST tyre will fit on a UST rim and could be used perfectly well with a tube.
    UST rims have a slightly different lip where the tyre bead attaches, tightness is a good thing for tubeless tyres but nuiscense for normal tyres. Get some good tyre levers (Pedros are the best I’ve found, GF’s Park ones are pretty good too) and it will fit with a bit of effort.

daveb
    Free Member

I have Flows (and Olympics) and use normal tyres on them without any issues, I also run them tubeless again without issues (Have used Nobby Nics, Racing Ralph, High Rollers and Advantage). I dont bother with UST as the extra weight isnt worth it – you still have to put fluid in them (Stans etc)) so dont see the need.

If you are not bothered about the extra weight then the UST will offer more protection.

anto164
    Free Member

Normal tyres will work fine on UST rims (use a tube!) but will be a PITA to get on and off as the seal on the rim will make it really tight. Get some good tyre levers…

I run (non-ust) folding 2.25 maxxis ardents on UST rims. I can put the tyre on and take it off again without the use of any tools.

So it depends on tyres i rekon. Most of which should be fine to take on and off the rim whilst using the correct technique.

Only issue i have had is that it can be a pain to get the tyre unseated when trying to remove the tyre from the rim.

andrewh
    Free Member

I use tubes on all bikes but one of them has a set of Stans Alpines, these rims are pain with Racing Ralphs, Nobby Nics and Speedkings. That’s my only experience of tubeless so far – the amount of faffing and swearing at them I see has put me off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to use UST tyres on tubeless rims?’ is closed to new replies.