Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Do you have to pay those euro carpark fines?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I know pepipoo is the place but many on here have the knowledge I’m sure. Mother took the lady she looks after who’s blind to the shops, parked in disabled etc fully badge up but was 2hrs 15mins when the limit was 2 hrs max! Any ideas?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it an “invoice”?

Then ignore.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

I think the law changed recently, but I’m sure someone will be along in a minute who can shed more light…

Junkyard
    Free Member

they give up sending the letters a lot quicker these days

NCP only sent me 6 letters this time and 3 of them were discounts

NO in a word

toppers3933
    Free Member

Dont pay the fine. Spend the money on a watch. 😀

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I agree. Ignore the letters and it goes away.

The one I got, and ignored, was over two years ago now so I’m pretty confident it’s not coming back to bite me.

Incidentally – I ignored it as I felt it was issued uttterley inappropriately not just cause I couldn’t be bothered to pay.

wrightyson
    Free Member

A letter with her reg plate at the top blah blah, demanding 70 quid. Do the Dvla just dole the addresses of people out to these companies?

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Like I said, the law has changed (from 1st October, I think). Essentially, clamping was brought under control, but ‘fines’ from private parking organisations are now enforcable (or something). Maybe Google for a more definitive answer?

crankboy
    Free Member

Police , local authority , traffic warden …..pay
    Private company , retail loss prevention etc ignore and defend if sued.

This is a rule of thumb not a guarantee.
    Please now post a suggestion on my computer thread

druidh
    Free Member

Yep

irc

Previously the “fine” for private car parks could only be enforced against the driver. Getting the reg keeper from DVLA did not prove who was drivingwhich made court action difficult if not impossible if a reg keeper didn’t admit to be thre driver in correspondence with the parking co. Since October (not sure if it applies in Scotland) if the reg keeper doesn’t identify a driver then he/she is responsible for paying the “fine”. Therefore easier in theory for a parking company to take court action. It’s still early days though. Whether it will increase the chances of getting court papers remains to be seen.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/private-parking-penalties/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tbh, if your mum is telling the truth 😉 then, given the circumstances, a letter would get you off if it was a council enforcement notice. However, as others have said, if it’s an invoice, then don’t even enter into a dialogue with them. Don’t know if your mum is elderly or not, but if she is, you might have to remind her not to worry if the company issuing the invoice escalates it in a threatening manner. (That’s not meant patronisingly btw. I’m sure you know what I mean.)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mums 57 lady she cares for is 70 ish and properly registered blind etc etc! I’ve told her to ignore it but I’m not so sure now?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Others are saying the rules have changed, but the last I knew was that they can’t enforce the fines by post, but can legally remove persistent offenders & charge a reasonable sum for the return of the vehicle.

globalti
    Free Member

When I got the string of threatening letters I noticed that despite coming from the parking company, another collection company and a “bailiff” they all had the same stupid spidery signature at the bottom. When they started offering me a discount I knew they were getting desperate. Idiots.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OP – We had one in late November (i.e. since this “change in the rules”) and we’ve ignored it. So far only the one letter. I won’t be paying, I suggest you do the same.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to pay those euro carpark fines?’ is closed to new replies.