Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Do you have to break in new running shoes?
  • renton
    Free Member

As title really, I’ve just had my gait done at a running shop and after trying on variuos shoes I settled on a pair of brooks gts 12.

Now , I’ve just been and done a 7.5k run in the same treadmill I always use and yes I can feel the improvememt already but not sure its enough to justify the outlay for them .

So do they need bedding in or shall I take them back to the shop ?

Cheers

Steve

cynic-al
    Free Member

What improvements were you expecting?

It’s lust like bike kit, they won’t make you any faster.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks,

I’ve gone from a neutral shoe to one wityh more support as my arches are collapsing giving me pain in the back of my calf muscles and knees.

Whilst I can feel its an improvement I still got the odd bit of pain but not as much as normal.

So I’m not sure if I need to break them in a bit or just let my legs get used to them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah. Dunno, ask the shop?

shoes do not compensate for bad running technique. Get out there running without shoes and it will improve your form. More than likely your collapsing arches are due to poor muscle development in your feet and will improve through foot exercises and running without shoes or in thin soled shoes without support.

In answer to your question conventional wisdom used to say that shoes do not need a wear in period, infact they become poorer as the material ages. The jury is out on that one now though……

speckledbob
    Free Member

^wot he says. Strengthening and stretching of your feet and calfs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to break in new running shoes?’ is closed to new replies.