Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Do you have to break in DMR V8s?
  • hora
    Free Member

The bearings are stiff/v.rough and ubdoing the gromit/injecting the grease hasnt made an impact. Help!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Help!

Try buying some pedals with better bearings.

HTH.

Dancake
    Free Member

Grease supplied was not enough in my experience.

Bought two pairs new at the same time. one pair was nice, the other clicked and graunched right from the off.

after rebuilds, the graunchy one was always graunchy and the smooth one always smooth. easy to do though

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmm refund. My 5yr old DX are smooth still.

ahwiles
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Try buying some pedals with better bearings.

learn* how to set the bearings?

takes about 5 mins per pedal – gets them running lovely, and you can keep them going for years.

(*undo/remove the axle cover, loosen the locknut, loosen the cone a bit**, tighten the locknut, replace the axle cover)

(**trial and error, experience, and applied judgement)

mamadirt
    Free Member

What ahwiles said. Don’t think I’ve ever bought a pair of unsealed pedals that have been good to go (that said, I’ve never splashed out on a sealed pair either). Stick some good quality grease in there too while you have them stripped down – I’ve barely used the grease port on my V8s.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm so I have to spend time sorting a new/off the shelf product?

We get our prices low as you finish the production process at home customer 😆

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As with Shimano cup and cone hubs, a disassemble, regrease and bearing adjust works wonders. You can’t expect the poor chap on the assembly line on 50p a week to give a rats arse about correct bearing preload.

Make yourself one of these for regreasing:

20ml syringe, clear radio control nitro engine fuel hose, 4BA/M4 nipple to fit V8 Greaseport. I glue the hose to the syringe with two-part epoxy for added security.

I fill with Castrol LM water resistant calcium grease, and use the full 20ml per pedal to push all the old dirty grease out.

hora
    Free Member

Shop opened it- agreed it was a rogue/qc issue and refunded.

Ok sealed but my DX pedals are coming upto 7?yrs and still smooth with zero maintance..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wot tucker said

Always grease and check all cup and cone bearings before use and they’ll last forever. Cack handed Herbert’s should choose something else. 😉

ampthill

I think DX have real bearings

I think V8s are a plane journal at one end. Thats why v12 cost more

The wellgo copies are the same but they are really cheap…

hora
    Free Member

PP I own many hammers that cost me many many times their sticker price…

ahwiles
    Free Member

i think V8s have a plane journal at one end. Thats why v12 cost more

V12’s have 1 journal, and 1 very cheap cartridge bearing instead of a cup and cone bearing.

i have no idea why they cost more.

maybe it’s because we’ve been told that cartridge bearings are ‘better’ – they may be (they’re not) but they’re definitely not £10/£20 better.

acidchunks

I think V8s are a plane journal at one end. Thats why v12 cost more

Nah, they’ve got real bearings on both ends. V12 are more expensive because they use sealed bearings and all the studs are replaceable.

….also the axle seems to be made of prettier shiny metal which is possibly better somehow

acidchunks

Just arrived back home from a ride around chorlton waterpark with one of my v12s making a horrendous noise.. Cleaned and re-greased the plane bearing which sorted it but not exactly happy as they’re only 6 months old. 😕

hora
    Free Member

ahwiles, serious?! They started out as sealed….has DMR sold up to a new buyer?!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to break in DMR V8s?’ is closed to new replies.