Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do you have spare wheels?
  • mjsmke

Just curious to know if anyone keeps spare wheels with different tires to save time at events or holidays. Both my full sus and hard tail have the same size hubs and rotors so im considering getting some cheapish or 2nd hand wheels with mud specific tires.

legend
    Free Member

When I had a DH bike spare wheels with mud tyres was handy, not feeling the need on the trail bike

zippykona

I have beach wheels for my Fatty.

weeksy

Yup, for both bikes.

I have both XC tyres and wheels for 650B’s and 29ers along with AM wheels/tyres for the same…. It means i can swap in seconds 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I would like some but then I also want alot of things.

Sponsored guys,, shop owners and pros I know do…

wwaswas

I just have spare bikes…

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d love to have spare wheels, but given that we seem to have a new wheel standard every 27.5 weeks, whatever I got would only fit one bike and be obsolete shortly after.

It’s proving hard work for the willpower muscle, but still resisting feeding the bike industry any serious cash until they stop changing stuff non-stop.

DezB
    Free Member

Got 2 sets of wheels for my Tripster. Road n you know, gravel type thing.
    Swap them fairly regularly to get even wear on the cassettes. Both pairs of wheels are Mavic, and had to use Shimano rotors on both to ensure no rubbing on the pads.

Rio

Yes, but they’re all the wrong size, because I bought a new bike and this:

we seem to have a new wheel standard every 27.5 weeks

Thanks, bike industry. 👿

thenorthwind

Yup. Good way of making a single bike more versatile.

Set of road wheels and set of off-road wheels for my “cross” bike. Took them both when I went away the other weekend to give me options, when I didn’t really have space for two bikes.

scotroutes

Too many.

3 pairs of wheels for my tourer/gravel/cxer. 2 for my B+/29er.

An old set that came off my road bike.

And a pair of 26″ wheels on the bike I lent to Moseymtb off here and for which I am awaiting return (still).

chiefgrooveguru

I have identical wheels, discs and cassettes on my hardtail and my full-sus so I can swap between them. When there’s space I take the other set on away trips and for races – mostly for tyre choice (tend to have Shorty or DHF 2.5 as the front options and Shorty or DHR2 2.3 out back).

a11y

Only for my commuter: very cheap set with studded tyres for quick changeovers for icy/snowy commutes. Set up with rotors so just the cassette to swap.

Only got them as the Schwalbes are stupidly tight on my normal wheels. First year I had them I ran the Snow Studs for whole winter but found them very slow/uncomfortable compared to my usual tyres. Now I only use them if I really really have to.

ferrals
    Free Member

Not for mtb, just an airshot thingy so can switch tyres quickly at races if necessary.

I used to have spare wheels for my cx bike to put in pits, but new bike with different axles as put paid to that 😕

I do have a pit bike now though :D.. just not sure I can be arsed with lumping two bikes around till its seriously muddy.

Yak

No. I err towards the drama of changing tubeless tyres just before a race start. Although the drama has been lessened slightly in recent years by using an airshot.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve a set with mud tyres set up ss for winter use on the hardtail (though they’re still on it now this year) a set with 2.4/2.2 mountain kings and xd cassette on for when they’re wanted, a set with general trail tyres – minion 2.5 highroller ii 2.3 – presently on my full suss, 10 speed, but all the above on pro ii so freehubs switch from one to the other too if needed and all going to plan a set with shorty 2.5&2.3, ten speed only, setup this evening.

Is it bad i also have a spare 10 speed setup built onto a bb cable guide and spare dropout, and ready to bolt on to my hardtail along with a set of cranks setup with triple rings, fd and shifter ready cabled in case for some reason i feel the need to go 3×10?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, I can swap between my HT and full sus.

I have to use a boost adapter on the back but if I’m away racing I’ll chuck it on before I go, spare wheels makes life a lot easier.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve two sets of wheels and two sets of tyres for my Solaris. That’s winter and summer tyres for the 29er wheels and a set of 650B+ wheels.

DrP

For my tripster ATR I’ve 3 sets of wheels:
    700c road
    700c CX
    650b 2″ tyres.

That’s just how DrP Rollz…..

DrP

Northwind

I’ve got my nice carbon wheels which are everyday use, and my heavy cheap wheels which have dh tyres on- not because I think they’re stronger than the carbon, but because sooner or later riding dh you mash any rim and I’d sooner it be a £40 alu one.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have identical wheels, discs and cassettes on my hardtail and my full-sus so I can swap between them. When there’s space I take the other set on away trips and for races

Something like this here too.

Kamakazie

Got them for my CX / gravel / road bike and might just keep my near worthless old 27.5 set as an emergency spare.

SirHC

Two pairs of wheels for smuggler

-One with xc tyres for local rides
    -Other with proper tyres for weekend riding

Both with discs on, only have to swap cassette over

Alphabet

I’ve got several 26″ wheels in the garage but I’m now on a 27.5″ bike.

hooli

On my old bike I had spare wheels with winter/mud tyres but I only ended up putting them on at the start of winter and taking them off in spring.

I can see the benefit if you race but I wouldn’t bother for normal XC mincing and trail centres

njee20
    Free Member

Used to, never ended up swapping them, then the chain got too worn to be able to swap them without doing the cassette too, which obviously I never did. Then there was the fact the bike just wasn’t as nice without the light wheels in. Eventually sold the ‘non-race’ wheels with about 100 miles on them and just used the race ones all the time, sold them on after about 3 years still in great condition.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I did have, but would always want to use my nicest wheels and my nicest rotors, so it just ended up being a waste of space and money. Just had a massive parts clearout and it feels great, extra cash and no clutter.
    Having an airshot makes tyre changes easy, but I mostly think sod it, I will run with what’s on.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Only for my Wazoo…
    The default set
    The 29er FatNotFat set
    The El Guapo Emmental rear
    The Fatty v1 front that I purposely bought because it was supposed to be Rear Disc Spaced, but it is Front Disc Spaced (like the default front) and so will not fit the Fatty Carbon fork with suitable brake rotor clearance! 👿

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yes but I’m building up to selling a whole heap of stuff.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t much spare of anything unless it belongs to a kid of mine… but I DO have a spare rear tyre thats 70% worn for very dry days – it flys, as long as you don’t need it to do much in the way of gripping.

tomhoward

Sort of, I’ve got 10 sets of wheels across 7 bikes from upgrades/change of fancy but never a bought any as a ‘spare set’, some are interchangeable, some aren’t. Keep meaning to buy an airshot/similar as picking race tyres a few days before an event makes for a nerve wracking time!

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s proving hard work for the willpower muscle, but still resisting feeding the bike industry any serious cash until they stop changing stuff non-stop.

My spare set (actually not been off the bike in months) cost me £100 in the new year sale.
    My “best” wheels are some Giant P-TRX Advanced ..replacement cost is £700 for the front and a bit more for the rear and though they are strong it only takes one rock.

The wheels came with my T-130 (vanilla 2015) are just plain heavy… I didn’t buy the bike to be light … but these are just lined with depleted uranium and the bike pedals light..(it doesn’t FEEL heavy peddling – just picking it up)

The Superstar New Years sale was 50% off including discounted so though these wheels are not worth the non-discounted RRP (by a long way) at £100 the pair they are awesome.
    As others have remarked, it’s best to treat superstar wheels as “pre-laced” not “built” and first ride with only the front on it developed a 1cm of out of true. The rear I just de-tensioned all spokes and re-tensioned and that has run true … the front I just did the same and that’s also running true for 6 months now.

These are WAY WAY lighter with a Hans Dampf 2.4 vs the WTB Trail Boss, the Whyte Hubs/WTB rims .. to be honest I didn’t take the Whyte apart to work out where the weight is…. and they ride just fine and the Tactic rims take the 2.4’s easily with room to spare for a semi+ (depending on fork clearance)

In retrospect if I’d known how much I’d use these I would have paid slightly more and gone for the Stans rims in the sale but the idea was just for when I’m riding rocky. It just turned out they are actually better than I’d expected..

Speeder

I used to have an xc/general set and a DH set for my Tracer before that got nicked. The DH set were off my DH bike but that in the days was when when everything was cross compatible (26″x135mm rear & 26″x20mm front),

General set was some LUST tyres on Mavic 819s on Hope Pro2s and the DH set was Dual ply Minions on 823s on Pro2s. Very simple to swap wheels and shock and turn the Tracer from Enduro to mini DH.

Now I’ve got a 27.5 Starling I can’t do that any more so it’s got a set of new Flows and EXOs – bit of a compromise I guess.

TiRed

Cross bike has spare wheels with a different casette. Swapping for road or off road changes tyres and gearing to make a very versatile bike.
    Training wheels for a TT bike is the norm.
    Mountain bike, I just make do, although it’s currently set up as a monster cross. So I just steal Teen2’s.

Alex

Having ’embraced the chubby 27.5+’ on all my bikes, I have a spare set of cheap superstar 29er wheels fitted with appropriate tyres for the winter. And somehow a spare set of 27.5 WTB i35s and a set of modified DT Swiss/Hope to run boost as well.

I only use the 29s when it’s really horrible tho. Although after last night on the chubbies in the slop, I might rethink that!

simon_g

Only when I’ve bought nicer wheels and kept the ones that came with the bike. Generally not kept “ready to go”, just that they’re worth so little that I keep them just in case.

This:

we seem to have a new wheel standard every 27.5 weeks, whatever I got would only fit one bike and be obsolete shortly after.

nags at me every time I start looking at nicer wheels. Spending £300+ on non-Boost wheels feels a bit silly when everything new seems to be on that now.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I used to have a set of Mavic XM719’s on my Anthem, was pretty fed up with changing tyres and getting thorn punctures.
    So got a set of Stan’s Arch EX/hope with the main reasoning being didn’t want to have to change tyres.

Got so used to not getting any punctures on the tubeless Stan’s that I never swapped the wheels over and sold the Mavics on here to some lucky owner.

My fatbike has two sets of wheels, 26+ 4.0 tyres and 27.5+ with 3.0 tyres. Maybe I should add some 29+ wheels..

My 5 only has one set off wheels and I just keep the same front tyre on and change the rear.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do you have spare wheels?’ is closed to new replies.