Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do you have relevant courses taken listed on your CV?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

With a long list of jobs to do, I’ve obviously decided to procrastinate / update my CV.

I work in SEN (special educational needs). I’ve been an ESL (English as a second language) teacher.

I obviously list ‘proper’ qualifications from universities.

How about things such as statements of participation from the OU? They don’t carry points in the way undergrad courses do but are OU advanced or intermediate courses. These are PD as opposed to qualifications.

What about courses run by well known subject experts?

I’m a certified Apple Teacher – include that?

I’m well aware that including meaningless qualifications suggests you’re trying to make up for something lacking elsewhere but at the same time, I don’t want to undersell myself (when the time comes to send my CV out)

Thanks

jambalaya
    Free Member

Skills skills skills. University / accreditations demonstrate some skills but imo should form a small part of a CV for someone woth some years of life and work experience

perchypanther
    Free Member

Relevant – That’s the key here.

GrahamS

Tailor it for the job. Mention all the skills/qualifications but highlight the relevant ones for the job.

May be leave off the cycling proficiency and 800m swimming badge though.

I’m a certified Apple Teacher – include that?

Yes. Especially if the job involves teaching apples.

willard

Hell, I listed being the 2017 village wellie throwing champion on my CV! It shows I have a human side.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Especially if the job involves teaching apples.

Fruition?

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes. I don’t think it even need relevant: Ive recently been doing the interview circuit, looking for architectural/construction jobs and most have said how impressed they are that I’m doing a Geology BSc in my spare time. In fact, one interview where it was openly discussed has resulted in an offer.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all.

The difference in yours though Mikey is its a BSc as opposed to a certificate for participation.

Perchy. I wish I hadn’t laughed at that. Abysmal 🙂

Jamabalya – That’s just it. Early 30s. About to graduate and then another year to become a qualified teacher. I’m definitely a few years behind where I’d like to be WRT my career. I have around a decade of ESL / SEN experience. Have to translate that into ‘skills’, I guess.

brakes
    Free Member

If they are relevant to the role, yes. If they demonstrate continuing learning and personal / professional development, yes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I wish I hadn’t laughed at that

….but you did. Mission Accomplished. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do you have relevant courses taken listed on your CV?’ is closed to new replies.