Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Do you have a private water supply and live in England?
  • grizedaleforest

If so, have you had a letter from your local authority about proposed legislative changes that will affect PWS? If not, let me summarize. There is a consultation before government to amend the Private Water supplies act, so that:
    * Your local authority will be sampling your water annually for 3 years (to establish a ‘base line’ set of metrics)
    * You will be charged for this sampling and there is no limit to the charge
    * Any corrective actions must be carried out and the LA will do it if necessary and then bill you.

You may view this as a positive, for the common good. That’s not my view. My water: my choice. I’m thoroughly cheesed off and have contributed to the consultation accordingly!

nedrapier

Sort of. Got springs in the garden which punt out 3,500l a day. It’s pretty good to drink, but we still use the mains.

welshfarmer

Had the same consultation in Wales several years ago. Final regulations on testing ended up only applied to PWS providing 2 or more properties or where there was any commercial element to use (B&B, food processing etc). Hopefully the English authorities also take a similar common sense approach.

monkeyboyjc

That’ll effect where I live – multiple properties on a PWS and charge by the landlord…..

Best not tell the LL (but I bet they already know)…..

whitestone
    Free Member

I grew up on an untreated PWS and have lived for the vast proportion of my life on untreated PWS. Our current property is on an untreated PWS.

* Your local authority will be sampling your water annually for 3 years (to establish a ‘base line’ set of metrics)

Our local authority have been doing this for some time. We’ve been on a five year testing regime, the latest one was a month or so ago.

* You will be charged for this sampling and there is no limit to the charge

Yep, they charge us.

* Any corrective actions must be carried out and the LA will do it if necessary and then bill you.

They’ll always find something to complain about. At the moment the corrective actions are aimed at both commercial and private premises. To implement all the recommendations in the last report would mean ripping the kitchen out. They might get a bill if they do that!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Do you have a private water supply and live in England?’ is closed to new replies.