• This topic has 156 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by falconranger-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • do you have a dashcam?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

went to Halfords today to get some light bulb and as I have nothing else to do just end up looking around what they have and stumbled on this dashcam thingy? what is this about? is it worth getting one? … I saved up for some POC yeti coloured tart helmet that I don’t really need and thinking might just get a dashcam instead.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I bought one a few weeks back after I lost a wing mirror again (Never lost one for 35 years then 3 in 18 months) to an Audi. Only lost the lense but the Audi was going to be expensive!
    Haven’t sparked it up yet but it’s sitting behind the mirror ready…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

do you have to turn it on/off everytime? or does it activate/deactivate when car is on/off?

how do you lose a wing mirror 😐

monkeychild
    Free Member

Watches this thread.

Crash for cash seems to be popular at the moment, so I am looking to get one. Spent an evening perusing online and came away none the wiser lol.

cranberry
    Free Member

I do own one – a Garmin unit with several bells and whistles* – but haven’t got round to fitting it yet.

*It is a combination of video recorder, proximity warner and GPS conrtolled reminder of the speed limit.

STATO
    Free Member

techmoan will probably be a good place to start.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Considering it, commute across a mental roundabout where hardly anyone turns left so there is always one cock in a BMW who’ll jump the que then try and swerve accross into the right turn lane 4 over!

One day I’m not going to brake…….

mrchrispy

I live in south Manchester, course I’ve got a dash cam…..1/2 the drivers round here probably don’t have insurance or a licence. it covers front and rear, wired into and always on fuse (via battery saver thing) and has a parking mode.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve just been given a roadhawk to trial, seems quite good. Can be hard wired or ran via a fag socket, full hd, gps positioning and all that shizzle. Has an event button you can press to save any footage of women exercising etc.

Even has a built in G meter which adds a new dimension to negotiating roundabouts 😀

pennine
    Free Member

We have them in our cars due to working in & around Bradford where driving without insurance (or driving licence) is fairly common.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

there seems to be loads in ebay that looks like same spec for spec …i wonder how it fares up with say nextbase or other highend stuff that cost £100+

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve had an eBay special A180 (I think it is) for the past 6 months.

I wired it in so there are no wires trailing everywhere and the design means that it is more or less invisible…

You do need to download your ‘saved’ files once in a while, but other than that it just works all by itself. Starts recording as soon as you turn the key and stops a few seconds after it is removed.
    It has a g sensor which saves the last segment in the event of an accident, or you can choose to do the same with a button if you see something daft for instance.

This is the sort of footage you can expect…

project
    Free Member

works on a bike as well

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmiSF5v_Qk[/video]

TheFlyingOx

Got a Transcend DrivePro 200 (about £100) in the wife’s car and a £30 eBay special in mine. The eBay special is easily the better of the two in use, and came with an extra camera to mount on the rear window. Get one, just don’t bother spending a fortune.

This is the eBay special: eBay dashcam

verticalclimber
    Free Member

presume can also be used against you if your speeding and accident happens even if you speeding was not actual cause?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So the “record” function…how does that work, you press the button and it records, what, the preceeding 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

thought they were continuous on loop and overwrites unless copied of card?

somafunk

The Flying Ox : Cheers for that link.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, just wondered how they worked…wondered if there was a certain amount of time before being overwritten that would be available to dump onto an SD card, or set-aside memory, or Idunnowot…just wondering. If I could get stuff like that, I’d set up a YouTube channel dedicated to the shit drivers of Brizzle. 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

‘Which’ mag looked at them a while ago. Nextbase and one other came out top. I have the previous NB and it does what one would expect. Sticks to windscreen and plugs into cigar lighter. Saves to a memory card, some hours worth, I forget how many. Records constantly, over-writing oldest record, in 3-minute blocks.

(edit) I keep forgetting to buy a spare memory card to keep handy, so as to replace one with some naughty action or cute jogger recorded.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I used to have a Garmin Dash Cam 20 and now have a Dash Cam 35 (the wife has the old one) they both have speed camera alerts. The only thing of interest I’ve ever recorded is the odd deer jumping out in front of me on the way to/from work.

v8ninety

I’ve got a cheap eBay one; cost me ~£50ish. It saved me a £250 excess and secured a decent courtesy car when I was sideswiped on a roundabout by a taxi; insurance bod who viewed the footage said that without it it would have gone knock for knock for sure without the footage as there would be no way of proving conclusively who was to blame.

In answer to other questions;
    They all switch on and record automatically when the power comes on; no need to even remember its existence once it’s set up. Mines plugged into the six power in the boot and the cable runs along the door seals.

If avoid any bells and whistles like gps etc; they are unnecessary and at worst could possibly weaken your claim if they showed, for example, that you were above the speed limit at any point in the journey.

scotroutes

I have an app on my phone and a dash mounted cradle.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t use the phone – I need it for texting and tweeting on the go.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Ah, but the SatNav part could equally show that you were doing a consistent 29.9mph when the taxi drove into you.

scotroutes

😆

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have just been looking at this
    https://dashcamtalk.com/xiaomi-yi/
    But quite fancy the Evilbay one in the link.

Drac

Nope but wish I had as a haulage company has ripped the side out of our car and drove off, the driver has claimed to their fleet manager it wasn’t him. No witnesses so looks like we’re paying. 😥

mrsfry
    Free Member

Russia seems to have all the dashcams in the world 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

Watching with interest as seriously considering one. As an aside most of the drivers in Laos had them and they’ve been common in Asia for a while

v8ninety

Ah, but the SatNav part could equally show that you were doing a consistent 29.9mph when the taxi drove into you.

It could, but that’s irrelevant. All it needs to show is that the taxi did actually drive into me. Everything else is just muddying the waters. (I was actually doing about 12mph, fwiw)

Cheap eBay dashcam FTW. Fit and forget, you can guarantee that the time someone drives into you will be the time that you forgot to pop your phone on the cradle and open the app…

Something like this is what I’d reccomend; it produces the same quality video as mine, but it’s much more subtle than mine. A friend of mine has one so I’ve seen it in use first hand. £41 to your door (I have no vested interests 😆 )

project
    Free Member

Nope but wish I had as a haulage company has ripped the side out of our car and drove off, the driver has claimed to their fleet manager it wasn’t him. No witnesses so looks like we’re paying.

think youll find your insurance company will be paying for repairs and your insurance and youll just see a rise in your premium due to making a claim.

also try the MIB,collisions involving untraced drivers, dont forget the 4 passengers you had all with whiplash. Thankfully ther where no witneses

Drac

think youll find your insurance company will be paying for repairs and your insurance and youll just see a rise in your premium due to making a claim.

🙄

I don’t think I’ll commit fraud if that’s Ok with you.

bails

presume can also be used against you if your speeding and accident happens even if you speeding was not actual cause?

If it’s just a camera (not with GPS speed logging) then the speed would have to be pretty reckless to be proven by video footage alone.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No

Ewan
    Free Member

Just turn off the GPS feature. Or if you’re speeding, don’t announce you have a dash cam to anyone.

bails

Or don’t speed…

singletrackmind

I know a lady who had a RTC with her dashcam running. She was then daft enough to play it back , showing herself blowing through a red light and hitting a mini.
    So daft she showed the woman she hit , and the traffic copper who attended.
    Funnily enough she got 3 points and a fine and a rollacking from the insurance co. true storey bro……

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Yeah, just wondered how they worked…wondered if there was a certain amount of time before being overwritten that would be available to dump onto an SD card, or set-aside memory, or Idunnowot…just wondering. If I could get stuff like that, I’d set up a YouTube channel dedicated to the shit drivers of Brizzle

With a 32gb card mine will save around a week or more of footage dependant on how often I’m driving, the ‘event’ button saves the last few minutes or so to a partitioned part of the memory card that will only ever be overwritten with other events giving you plenty of time to download it.

eskay

Bookmarked

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘do you have a dashcam?’ is closed to new replies.