• This topic has 39 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Do you have a bigger cassette on your 29er?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Compared to when you used to have a 26er?

mtbfix

Yes. And a smaller chainring.

simondbarnes

Yes, I have a 34. I have a 24 on the front rather than a 22 though.

jonba
    Free Member

No, might even be bigger. Not through deliberate action, just from going from an old triple to a new double setup.

Not been a problem for me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Yep got a ‘weight of the moon’ deore 12-36.

monkeyboyjc

Yes.

damascus
    Free Member

Yes

kimbers

Just a smaller chainring 30t x 11-36 seems to work very well for me

shortcut

Yes I used to run a triple with 32 out back.
    On the 29er I now run single 32 on the front and 36 or 40 on the back. Depending on the bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nope, 38-24 front though.

Shackleton

nope, but wish I did. Currently have 22×34, would like to have 22×36 but restricted by 9sp.

somouk
    Free Member

I run a 32 on the front and an 11-40 on the rear, could really do with a double at the front fitness wise but like the simplicity of no front mech.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Exactly the same as the doubles I used to run 26″.

scotroutes

Yes

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Have just bought one to put on, only really wanted 36 on the back when I ride in Wales as it doesn’t seem to be such a problem in the peaks – climbs are shorter I guess.

tymbian
    Free Member

30 front 11-42 rear

parkesie
    Free Member

Same basically whichever xt one i can get cheapest 🙂

weeksy

Nope. Generic rear on both along with a 38T \ 22 in 2×10 format on both bikes.

ratherbeintobago

Yes, went from 44/32/22 and 11-32 on the 26er to 38/26 (I think) and 11-36 on the 29er, but that was largely due to going 10-speed. Gearing not quite as low, but I’ve not failed to get up anything I’d have managed on the 26er yet.

harryjan
    Free Member

32 with an 11-36 although I keep thinking I could do with a 40t extender…..

molgrips
    Free Member

My 29er is 3×9 though, apparently I’m in the minority 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

32t with a 11-36 but I also am considering either a 30t or an extender.

Yak

Yes, started on 32t with 11-32 and now gone up to 11-34. 9sp though and I’m in the non-mountainous south.

GHill

Mine is exactly the same. Because I took it off the 26er.

grievoustim
    Free Member

On my soul(before switching to 29) I had an 11-32 cassette and a 32t chainring

on my Solaris I have an 11-36 cassette – and a 32t chainring

DanW
    Free Member

The “gearing up” effect of 29 vs 26 wheels is like 2 teeth on the chainring. That said I am running the same 32T/ 10-42T drivetrain on my 29er as I did on the 26 and barely notice a difference

medoramas
    Free Member

40-30-22 triple front and 11-36 cassette for me!

IA

Compared to when you used to have a 26er?

Nope, in general I have higher gears now, either 1×1 or 1×10. I never needed the lower gears anyway though. If I was still on 26 I’d probably have higher gears too though…

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I just cleared the local tricky climb on my 29er with my 26er gearing (forget what it is, 11-30 perhaps?) so the answer is simply get a bit fitter and work a bit harder, as always 🙂

D0NK

In answer to the OP, no. Running 22/36 11-32, lifted from a broken 26er and put onto a 29er frame I got. Thought I might struggle and would be in granny all the time (when on my 26er I seemed to drop to the granny quite early due to 36t ring) but haven’t found this to be the case. Rarely drop into granny, bike just seems to climb with little effort. Even considering going 1×10 with a 36 ring and 40T t-rex, will see tho.

Maybe worth mentioning tho, it’s a hardtail compared to the FSer I was on originally – so I may stand up more rather than the sit and spin FS style, also I haven’t done any really big rides on it, so may struggle with the higher gearing after a lot of miles.

molgrips
    Free Member

The gear choice is more annoying, rather than the actual ratios tbh. As you say I have to be in the granny ring more on stuff I would be doing in the middle ring.

Of course the best solution is smaller rings, but sod that expense 🙂

The bike is a HT also but it’s not particularly light and doens’t exactly spring up the climbs.

MSP

40-30-22 and 11-32 for me, I didn’t want wider gaps on the cassete so went for the smaller chainring, although as it turns out I regret doing so as the bike is that bit better all round than my old 26er that I don’t need the easier gears.

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re running 1x then I’d run 4 teeth smaller on 29 than 26, 2 teeth smaller on 27.5 than 26. If you’re running 2x or 3x you should have so many gears that you’re rarely at the very bottom of the range – and if you’re often struggling with the lowest gear then I’d change the granny ring to a smaller one. However, if that requires more than a 14 tooth increment to the next chainring then I’d downside that chainring too to maintain decent shifting.

1x is definitely simpler!

D0NK

As you say I have to be in the granny ring more on stuff I would be doing in the middle ring.

well that was what I expected but it hasn’t happened, but I have been spending a lot of time on my cx and the smallest gear on that is similar to 36×32 on my 29er so that could have something to do with it.

But yeah If you find you’re dropping to granny a lot I’d look at going smaller, it’s a faff shifting into middle for flat/downs and then back down to granny as soon as the trail rises slightly (as I was doing on my 26er – I didn’t actually get around to purchasing smaller rings tho 🙂 )

mattjg
    Free Member

Well I just cleared the local tricky climb on my 29er with my 26er gearing (forget what it is, 11-30 perhaps?) so the answer is simply get a bit fitter and work a bit harder, as always

you’re probably getting a bit of 29er payback in grip and reliability rollability too.

thv3
    Free Member

Just a smaller chainring 30t x 11-36 seems to work very well for me

+1

Although I suppose I run a 38/26 double on my other bike but would be happy with the above when I need to change again.

molgrips
    Free Member

you’re probably getting a bit of 29er payback in grip and reliability rollability too.

Actually, it’s a lot harder on the 29er because it’s HT, and rocky and loose. The FS gives much better traction and allows smoother seated pedalling.

tpbiker
    Free Member

sheldons calculator tells us a 32×36 ratio on a 26r is exactly the same as a 30×36 on a 29er.

Whether this is correct in the real world i shall find out when my new bike arrives

DanW
    Free Member

Well I just cleared the local tricky climb on my 29er with my 26er gearing (forget what it is, 11-30 perhaps?) so the answer is simply get a bit fitter and work a bit harder, as always

Most 29ers also seems to have different geometry to the comparable 26er, longer chainstay lengths, longer front centre, hence longer wheelbase, more BB drop etc which contributes to more planted climbing I think. I can’t say I noticed anything significant to do with “rollability” or comfort going to 29er (maybe better rolling over chunky stuff descending but certainly very little difference on flats and climbs). What I did notice is the ability to just crack on and put the power down on a steep loose climb being significantly better on the 29er. Seems like a geometry thing for me (comparing 26er XC bike to 29er XC bike).

sheldons calculator tells us a 32×36 ratio on a 26r is exactly the same as a 30×36 on a 29er.

Said this on p1 😀 My power meter data on a smooth constant climb I do frequently in different gears seems to agree with the theory on SB

D0NK

My power meter data… seems to agree with the theory on SB

pretty sure the gear calculator on SB is maths/science not theory 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Do you have a bigger cassette on your 29er?’ is closed to new replies.