• This topic has 25 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Do you have a bed-side reading light?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

OK, a little random, but whatever. Those of you who read in bed, and have a bed-side lamp;

Floor standing, or table top (or which do you prefer)?
    Adjustable angle/reach (eg anglepoise type, can aim beam at your book), or fixed throwing light in all directions (or which do you prefer)?
    With a lamp shade to direct the beam and keep glare out of your vision, or exposed bulb (or which do you prefer)?

What kind of “format” would your ideal lamp have?

Ta,
    Duane.

djglover
    Free Member

I find a head torch more practical, plus the mrs finds it more romantic.

chudsy
    Free Member

Headtorch, or kindle paperwhite. Prefer using a kindle, but if I’m reading a book I’ll use a head torch.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have a bedside lamp, just a small freestanding lamp but as above I use my head torch as I prefer the light from it.

Daffy

djglover – Member
    I find a head torch more practical, plus the mrs finds it more romantic.

Muff diving?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anglepoise here. Means I can get the light in just the right place without being too bright for anyone else in the bed.

mintimperial

I’ve got a sort of clip-on light thing on the headboard, plugs in like a normal light, ours came off the interwebs, the mrs bought it to fit in with whatever interior design scheme she was faffing with at the time (a bit like this, with a really low-powered bulb). I use that for reading dead-tree format books but it keeps her awake so most of my reading is now kindle-based. I used to read on my phone, and on a PDA when phones were sensible-sized, and before that the poor girl just had to fall asleep with the light on.

No, I can’t get to sleep without reading, don’t even think about arguing with me on that one.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I don’t read in bed, but the Mrs does and the best light I’ve ever seen was in a hotel a while ago and it just lit the book so the rest of the room was nice and dark, the light doesn’t normally bother me, but it was nice to go to sleep without it!

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a socket so I bought an LED light with a body that plugs straight in and a flexible thing with the LED in that I can point at what I’m reading.

tinribz
    Free Member

Clip on jobbies but with long bendy swan necks, you can angle away to control the brightness.

aP
    Free Member

Floor luminaire, with LED lamp and reflector body, pointing at wall above headboard so lamp isn’t visible.

DezB
    Free Member

Table top lamp with a dim 12W bulb.
    Used a little clip-on-the-book LED light the other day at a, ahem, friends and that was quite good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have a maplin headtorch with dimmer and red option, it hangs on the bed post. Hardly ever use it.

For more restful light there is an LED ‘Moon Candle’ wot someone gave me for xmas. Odd thing really, as is real scented wax except hollow with a flickering LED bulb embedded in the base. When received it a little voice inside my head was guiltily disappointed, at least initially, Now I use it a lot, and the battery seems to last forever. For extra fun you can try to find the ‘on’ switch in the dark. The switch feels much like the three other little bumpy things on the bottom. Oh such fun.

Kunstler

I’m at work on a sleepover shift and have discovered that the usual bedside lamp has been replaced with a 15″ high model of a red telephone box with a brutally harsh bulb in it. Some interesting shadows cast about the room caught my eye and I’ve been lying in bed photographing my bike which is in the room with me. It’s not a thing many people do in their job.

user-removed
    Free Member

Kindle app on my S5. I miss real books but it just makes sense.

Drac

That’s the loosest term of work Klunster.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Well well DezB, you are onto reading in bed already… 😛
    Bog standard bedside lamp for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ikea do a cheap led lamp which is a long bendy arm with a spot on the end, however it makes a very clean and even circle of light with no spill. May not be posh enough for you lot though 🙂

ononeorange

Yes; angle poise type thing on bedside table. Mine is usually off first as I get up earlier.

speed12
    Free Member

Best bedside/reading light I’ve found so far is a by product of having a Philips ‘wake-up’ light. The light is nice and diffused so you don’t have to worry about what angle the lamp is etc. The light also goes redder when you dim it which is nice on your eyes before turning the light out. Even if you never used the wake-up function its still by far the best lamp out there. In my opinion.

DezB
    Free Member

Well well DezB, you are onto reading in bed already..

😆 only to test the light out. Honest!

maccruiskeen

That’s the loosest term of work Klunster.

His ‘John’ hasn’t arrive yet. Thats when the real works starts.

Personally I’ve got an embedded integrated surround ambient literary lighting system. A camera in the headboard scans the text I’m reading, identifying the work of literature and loads up a sequence of pre-programmed lighting states – night /day/ summer / winter / happiness, suspense, sexy tiem, abject terror etc from an online database of interpretative literary lighting moods. A second sensor tracks my eye movements and therefore my place on the page and cues up and executes these lighting states at key points in the text using a range of fitted dimmable LEDs flashbulbs and few strobe lights in the ceiling, around and under the bed, behind the curtains and an optional pair of glowing red eyes in the wardrobe.

I’m not sure if its money well spent. I’m currently reading ‘The Little Book of Feng Shui’ and not much is happening if I’m honest. Haynes Peugeot 206: 2002 to 2006 Petrol and Diesel Owners Workshop Manual was a similar disappointment.

Rubber_Buccaneer

No bedside lamp as i don’t go to bed to read but I do keep a beaker handy.

CountZero

I’ve got a little Ikea halogen anglepoise-type jobbie that I’ve had for donks, if I’m reading a dead-tree book, otherwise I’m using my phone/pad.

ampthill

Kindle Paper White here

For me one of those truly transformative purchases

alpin
    Free Member

Have this.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Do you have a bed-side reading light?’ is closed to new replies.