Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do you Go Pro?
  • jimmy

Lots of people with cameras these days. When we tried it years back we’d watch the footage and be all like “meh”. Maybe not Enduro enough back then, but how much footage actually gets watched? Specially the dude in Aambleside with one each end and maybe a helmet or chesty to boot. Thats a lot of watching to do right there, no?

marky29er
    Free Member

It feels RAHHH!!! when riding the trail, but embarrassingly slow watching the playback, so no, I dont bother anymore.

jimmy

yeah exactly. I suppose I want this thread to be a showcase of actual RAHHH!!! Lets see those edits.

ohrats
    Free Member

Most stuff looks smaller/less steep/slower when watching the GoPro footage somehow. But saying that, I use mine a lot, its great for analysing line choice and spotting areas to gain speed. Most World Cup riders use them for that purpose.

fadda

Not even I want to watch me being an utter mincer everywhere…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Marky has it correctly.

“Hey, watch this!”, you’d say to friends. They’d watch, bored, as it looked shit. Then, they’d say, “the footage on the gopro adverts looks much better”.

It’s become a snoozefest. Even worse on snow, with every other boarderist* trying to look all of teh gnar when shredddddding teh pistes, rather than actually having a clue how to “ride”.**

* Yes, I know that there are skiers who are as bad, but there are fewer of them.

** To be honest, they spend most of their time sitting in the middle of the piste saying dooood to each other.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I use it more for showing the trails if that makes sense?

No RAHHH!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=strlhaKYOpU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuvj0mTiJvo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

edits

I will find you, and I will kill you.

chakaping
    Free Member

edits

Yeah, everyone knows it should be “shredits”.

core

I have an action camera, filmed mtbing with it twice, result was a very slow looking tame ride, wasn’t really worth the time editing.

jimmy

edits

I know they’re videos really.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I knew that you weren’t all that bad! Fatwa rescinded. 😀

righog
    Free Member

I’ve got one.. a few observations

You could spend your money on something better/more useful

The videos will make you look like a really slow rider

No one will be interested, they will take the piss cause you look slow.

You really need nothing else going on in your life to make a decent video

I fully understand why they get called Edits as that is what takes all the time.

Despite all this I am glad I’ve got one.

CFH…hates them

doubt if any of this will help anyone.

ricky1
    Free Member

IMO when I watch you tube videos done with go pro they look naff,probably looks better to the owner/original rider.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have one but not used much. Think I’ve used it more filming other halfs horse

pk13

Snowboarding but mainly for the memory not for my epic skill and good looks. Oh and the odd bit of time lapse and under water stuff at the seaside. On bikes even fast rides look naff unless it’s big jumps.

_tom_
    Free Member

edits

Every editor at work keeps their edits in an edits bin within the Avid project. It’s what they’re called.

I’ve got bored of my GoPro now so I’m trading it with some money for a laptop. They’re fun for a bit then the novelty wears off. Here’s an edit ( 🙂 ) I did with all the footage I got whilst I could still be bothered. It was a good camera for taking on holiday as well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s no more interesting than your wedding video. Phuck that.

bigjim

they’re good for holidays and so on, wouldn’t use mine on an everyday ride though, but often carry it in my pocket to take photos. Crashes are always entertaining and filming other people rather than POV footage is more interesting. A friend has an awesome quadcopter setup so hoping to try and film some mincing with it soon

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We used to carry a camera with us on rides to take stills. In the end some days it never came out the bag as it meant stopping in the middle of the fun bits. I got the Go Pro and used it loads on holiday. It makes a great record of what you did in the same way as a photo collection. The hardest bit is editing the best bits into a short film.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is showing GoPro movies the “slideshow holiday snaps from Costa Del Sol” for the modern generation?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah but with the advent of social media you don’t get locked in a room and have to avoid looking at slides of Auntie Maureen in a bikini.

skindog
    Free Member

The first time I used an action camera I was with my bro and riding some short but very fun local trails. Had an awesome day and rushed home to see how cool we both looked. turned out we had recorded all the pushing up hill and were switching it off just before the blast back down.

Actually that was the funniest footage we ever took as everything else was rubbish.

I think any camera taken from on board a bike is fairly boring to anyone but the rider. Also there is a reason the big mountain bike videos show very few technical trails and are all huge gap jumps.

If you like go pro, better to take up sky diving or cliff jumping or shark wrestling.

stewartc
    Free Member

Take my GP3 out on the odd ride but its a general faff to edit down on my bog standard PC (no Mac for me), during a recent 3 day ride in Volcano managed to get the ride down to a few minutes, and even then it looks nothing like the fun experience it was().
    I still watch mine for lines on regular rides but otherwise this….

Is showing GoPro movies the “slideshow holiday snaps from Costa Del Sol” for the modern generation?

+1

Steve77
    Free Member

I’ve got a gopro video I put on youtube which got 45k hits and because I ticked the box to play ads it’s halfway paid for the camera now. Fast non-technical trails in bright sunlight with lots of other riders work best. Otherwise they come out looking like you filmed yourself drunk walking home alone through the woods with a dead leg.

hooli

I don’t, I am always amazed how many people at Swinley or even Wiggle Spotives use them. With the exception of somebody falling off, I have always wondered what happens to the footage.

jam-bo

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I have gone pro in my time. Used it for all sorts, but never really produced a video that’s of much interest to anyone that wasn’t there.

It’s still fun to muck about with though, even if all the footage is terminally shaky/ badly framed.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dacleshk1Hg&list=UUlkRCFR6-AWWemF-4lbBURQ[/video]

scotroutes

The Highland Trail thread has a couple of interesting videos on it.

prawny

Whenever I ride somewhere new I like to have a look on youtube for videos of the trail so I can get a feel for the place before I go, see if it’s worth bothering with my bike if its a family holiday. So I like to put a bit back, by putting the odd dull video back online for anyone else who wants to mince around in a similar fashion.

I know it looks crap, but there we go.

I wish more people would post videos of the Upper cliff Black sections at the moment in particular 😆

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Got it for Motorsport purposes, its awesome and has come in handy as you get to analyse things that would happen mid-race that you might forget about. Biking wise I rarely bother. Its pretty cool for pictures though

https://plus.google.com/103922237433994692207/posts (not sure if this will work<<)

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Novelty wore off after a couple of months. I have no interest in watching back my own rides from the perspective of the top of my helmet or from a chest harness and no one else will be interested either. However I did use it for filming stuff from various holidays including a trip by boat in the Scottish Highland. After editing it I put it on the boating companies Facebook page and a couple of weeks later they emailed me and offered me and my wife a free holiday for the following year as the response to the video was so good. Unexpected surprise but the GoPro paid for itself at the very least.

MadPierre

I think they are ace especially now I’ve got a helicopter to put it on too! [video]http://youtu.be/0i9awPd5bwA[/video]

Seriously: I like filming and editing as well as riding. Obviously they are of most interest if “you were there” but you ain’t got to watch them! Much better than all the rubbish camera phone video that’s for sure!

Like prawny I find trawling Youtube prior to going somewhere new can be handy for checking out the riding potential too.

Milkie
    Free Member

I use the GoPro mainly for biking holidays now. I find local trails are pretty boring and all the decent footage seems to be in the Alps. 😉 People seem to crash more in the Alps too, it’s always good for that. 😆

I don’t really care if people don’t watch it, but a bonus if they do then bonus! Still gives me a rush watching old footage of some awesome trails, I’m pretty sure I’m not that fast, but watching the footage it feels fast to me.

I also use it for track days, so I can watch back and see what I did wrong where.

As above, the editing takes a lot of time, but good editing makes a decent video. You do have to like editing though. 😉

Just incase you want to slate my footage, its here. 😉

Cannot wait for my Hexo+ autonomous drone! 😉

wwaswas

Go Pro on a car tyre.

Watch full screen for proper effect.

[video]http://vimeo.com/101358524[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve one, used it biking once, crashed on an inquous bit of trail and broke my arm!

IMO they don’t work so well for biking, ‘on board’ footage just doesn’t seem to look any good. Part of the problem being their unbiquity so there’s rarely anything ‘new’ to see and the chest mount’s just the best of a bad bunch. Whereas propper video shot by someone holding the camera almost always looks better.

On the boat however there’s a lot more scope for being creative with the mounts, it’s slowly getting covered in stick on mounts everywhere! And it actualy show’s some action, people moving about, doing stuff, not just someone’s hands holding onto the bars.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I’ve got one but I don’t use it all that often . Occasionally for biking or a bit of snowboarding or other sports. I find particularly for riding it’s generally just too much faffing about and unless you are going to spend the time working on getting interesting angles and putting together a nice edit it will be very boring to watch. When I do use it tends to be for stills more than video.

Couple of recent examples –

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do you Go Pro?’ is closed to new replies.