Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do you get full travel on your (coil) pikes?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Upgraded the spring to an x-firm, and I am thinking the forks feel too stiff now, and I get nowhere near full travel on them. I seem to remember even with the old medium spring I didn’t quite get full travel though.

I am well over the weight recommended for the x-firm spring.

woody2000

Why did you put a firm spring in if you didn’t get full travel on the med?

grumm
    Free Member

Well, they were def too soft with the medium in, I weigh approx 16 stone – the steering feels much more precise now, but they maybe don’t feel as plush.

I mean with the medium spring it never quite got to the top, but then I have never gone off massive drops or anything, and I reckon it would have done easily if I had.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

X firm is too heavy for you. The RS spring weights are all a bit OTT (And it’s the same on their air forks, too).

At 14.5-15 stone I found a firm a bit too heavy for me on my Recons, I can just about get away with the standard medium spring on my Pikes.

TFTuned told me not to get an X-firm even though the RS guides say I’m in it’s range…..

hora
    Free Member

I’m 15stone and top heavy on account of having a large jaw. I also use a Xfirm spring- turn your floodgate fully off and set your adjustor to either almost open or almost shut and retry. Cant remember for sure but its one of them.

I get all my travel but then I’ve always been nose heavy (cant jump/get any air for toffee) 🙁

billyboulders
    Free Member

Do you get full travel on your (coil) pikes?

Yep-confused why you swapped springs if the old ones didn’t go all the way. 😕

Best forks I’ve owned in 20yrs mountain biking. (and I once had a pair of indy’s so I know how bad rockshox can be!!)

grumm
    Free Member

When I say not all the way I mean not knocking at the top – not exactly sure whether ppl mean this when they say full travel.

I think once they were broken in I they pretty much got full travel, but they were clearly too soft. Bike handles better now definately.

@ Hora – what’s the floodgate and adjuster? Mine just have the travel adjust and the compression – both are fully off.

GW
    Free Member

Def depends on how you ride, I’m lighter than you Hora (but quite the opposite type of rider) and have been known to bottom my pikes (X-firm spring) on upslopes of jumps. 😳

jam-bo

frequently.

hora
    Free Member

fack GW!!!

hora
    Free Member

certain pikes have an internal floodgate- you lift up a tab on top of the right leg and stick in a allen key to turn

grumm
    Free Member

I might not be into doing massive hardcore drops but I ride fairly hard and tend to blunder my way through rock gardens etc in unsubtle fashion.

Please enlighten me btw – what do ppl mean exactly when they say they are getting full travel? Is it actually ‘bottoming-out’?

Basically I am pretty sure I need a firm spring, but was just confused by the weight recommendations – PeterPoddy, its interesting that TFtuned told you that, as it says this on their site:

‘The standard spring fitted in these forks is a Medium, which is suitable for a rider weight of 65-75kg, all kitted up. If you’re over this, you’ll need a Firm or X-Firm spring. If you’re over 100kg, you’d be better to consider an air fork as the X-Firm won’t be suitable for extreme riding.’

grumm
    Free Member

OK finally managed to put in the firm spring – noticeably less stiff but I can still only get it to about 3/4s of the way up the upper stanchions pushing down on the bars with my weight on it. Sitting on the bike it only sags down 20mm

I guess it will break in a little but does this seem right?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sitting on the bike it only sags down 20mm

I guess it will break in a little but does this seem right?

Good! – Sounds identical to mine with the firm spring I recently fitted. TBH 20mm sag isn’t really enough ‘in theory’, but in practice it works beautifully for me. Most forks don’t get 100% ‘full travel’ that often. I found I have to hit mine pretty hard now to get the same travel as with the medium spring, (but that’s spot on correct, IMO) which is about 5-7mm from the fork crown, the same as all other RS forks I’ve ridden.
    BUT I have no doubt that they WILL go all the way with a hard enough hit. In 4 years I’ve had my Rebas to the crown twice, and that was on a massively hard hit, the sort you think will snap the bars in two!
    It’s the bump stop, you see, it does the job it should but in emergency situations it will give that last 5mm of travel, IME!
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers for that – will monitor it for a little while. This def seems more ‘right’ for me than the medium or x-firm ones, just wondering if there is something I am missing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do you get full travel on your (coil) pikes?’ is closed to new replies.