Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Do you get attached to frames?
  • honourablegeorge

Got a new frame for my main bike a while back, the old frame has been in a box, unused, under my bead, for months, while I was getting around to doing the bearings, etc before selling it. Not really given it a second thought, and new frame is better in every way.

So, I finally got around to selling it (well, a mate asked me if he could take it), but somehow am absolutely gutted to see it go. Big overflow of nostalgia and that, even though I’d never actually use it again.

wwaswas

The Giant NRS frame I bought as a ‘reward’ for being able to ride again after a broken hip was sold this year after 12 years of ownership.

Do wish I’d kept it in a lot of ways, but I don’t think I’d ride it any more and sometimes you have to let the thing go but hang on to the memories it gave you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got 2 Hecklers in the cupboard downstairs just in case….
    The front end of my old 04 S-works Enduro was around for ages and I was trying to make it into something but never managed before we moved to Oz, nearly cried skipping it…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

Yeah, I wish I’d never sold my Bullit. Whilst the Voltage that replaced it is a much better ride, the Bullit was my first full sus and the bike I took to Whistler for me, so I had good memories on it! Looked awesome in the polished silver as well..

cp

Yes very much so – Scandal 26er. I put it up for sale a while ago and had some interest, but they went quiet. Thankfully they did because it just didn’t feel right selling it. It hung up in the cellar for a few months and I finally built it up into a light weight singlespeed. So glad I did because it’s superb! Fully rigid and it rides so nicely.

nickdavies

I nostalgically rebuilt my first full suss the other week as a bit of a project, complete strip – replaced all bearings headset bb with hope kit got it all really nice, had shock serviced and did the forks and put it all back together. Spent a couple of hundred quid on it which is probably more than the frame is worth but I like having a tinker.

Then rode it and it reminded me why I stopped using it 18 months ago. 👿

bigyinn
    Free Member

I still own every frame I’ve had (apart from the two stolen) even though the 3 I’ve got are crack, snapped or bent. They’re not worth repairing, but the memories associated with them are good ones.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Yep, a battleship grey Dialled PA. Gave it to a mate on long term loan as i didn’t have space to keep it and it got nicked from his garage. 🙁

honourablegeorge

I did sell another frame about a year ago, and met a mate who was out riding it – got a nice feeling seeing it out an about, which is the flip side to selling, I guess. Although I still feel a bit daft about the level of emotional attachment I have to a set of metal tubes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I don’t think its the tubes themselves, but the associated memories and experiences that they were an intrinsic part of making.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I will never sell my unit 2-9 frame (Morris) I half heartedly made a few attempts but got cold feet at the last minute.I’d given up mtb’ing (for bmx) when I bought it for rolling round the park with the wife and had never thought about ss mtb’s before.It took me 6 years to get gears again!!I am going to build it back up today as I was going to wait to get it resprayed but even that seems like sacrilege.
    I also still have my 753 road frame….which I bought 23 years ago.

nedrapier

I recently spent more than was rational getting an old frame spruced up, disc mount, guides, respray with rigid fork to match.

Had it 13 years, enjoying as much as ever. Wouldn’t sell it, it’s worth more to me than it would be to anyone else.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I had an XL identiti Dr Jekyll that I was never going to use again, I couldn’t sell it and thank god I didn’t, after recently having to sell all my other bikes its now back up and running again 🙂

I will replace it at the first opportunity but I still won’t get rid of it.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

None what so ever, its simply a tool to get a job done.

This doesn’t stop me lusting after frames from my childhood, (San Andreas or a Concorde PDM), however I don’t think I could ever be emotionally attached to one.

khani
    Free Member

I don’t think its the tubes themselves, but the associated memories and experiences that they were an intrinsic part of making.

That ^^^
    had my HL Five Spot since feb 03, before I’d only had lower end full bikes, been all over the uk and some other places on it and it’s seen me through some epic rides, it’s not worth a lot now and other bikes have taken over, but to me its priceless, and I’ll never sell it..
    It’s like your first shag love, you’ll never forget it…

Northwind

I rode to work today on a 20 year old mountain bike, so apparently yes I do 😆

Think the only modern bike I’ve really got that affection for’s my Hemlock though, I’ve churned through hardtails, they’ve all been great but they’ve been tools. The Hemlock’s been a partner in crime.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I have an old On One frame that’s long been replaced by a Cove Hummer, but I’m not allowed to sell it, as it was what I was riding when I met my other half. She’s more attached to it than I am!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had this with my 06 Enduro. I would have liked to keep it to just hang in the shed but needed to sell it to fund its replacement. I probably would have been alright if I hadn’t been going for a riding weekend in scotland that month too.

The current frame (11 Enduro Evo) is better in every way and I only slightly miss the old one now as it would have made a nice bit of shed wall art.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Physically ? Yes, yes when I fall off.

Mentally, Yes, yes some frames just fit right.

dazh

I’ve got a Mk1 Cotic BFe that I’m pretty attached to. Had it for about 6 years and love it. I don’t ride it much these days though due to a dodgy back, and I fancy a Solaris as the sort of riding I do and the size would suit me much better so the logical thing to do would be to sell the BFe to make space for the Solaris (Mrs Daz has invoked the one-in-one-out rule again after the purchase of a new roadie in the summer). Trouble is there’s no way I could get rid of it, so the Solaris will have to wait until Mrs Daz can be persuaded.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I cant see me selling my 2004 Enduro Pro anytime soon.
    Sure its old and triggers broom. But it does what I want to do, plus I cant afford to replace it.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My ’93 Clockwork is still sat at the back of the workshop. Rust and cracks mean that it’ll never be built up again but it’s not going. Too many great memories.

slimjim78
    Free Member

thats essentially what man caves are for, hanging up old frames that have earned the right to retire.

No matter how skint I am, the bright pink SS Inbred 853 frame hanging in my garage is going nowhere! itll get built up again one day.

messiah
    Free Member

I tend to hold onto mine far longer than I should, then either break them or sell them for peanuts.

The only one with any sentimental value has it for all the wrong reasons and I’m not selling it so that one day I will break the ******.

ads678

I have a GT Avalanche frame from 2003 hung up in the garage, I did so much on that bike, xc Marathons, commuting & DH all on 80 & 100mm of travel and 685mm bars! I didn’t even want to buy it originally but it was such a bargain (£300 full bike, brand new, from a shop) I just couldn’t justify anything else. Now it makes me smile every time I go into the garage. I spent so long trying to break it so I could get a new bike but the stubborn bugger wouldn’t let me! Eventually the lure of the Orange Five retired it.

It’s also not worth selling but that’s a side issue. 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I retired my 2004 Enduro frame a year ago, it’s now hanging from my living room wall carrying every single scratch and scrape with pride.

Someone offered me silly money for it, but I can’t part with it.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I have to confess I am seriously attached to my stolen bike frame. I have a replacement but despite trying to customise the new one – nothing will do but my lost bike. I can’t believe I can be so ridiculous but I am genuinely gutted it’s not here.

slackalice
    Free Member

My 13 year old Superlight frame now hangs on my workshop wall, having been retired this last spring. The bike has been on many adventures, here and in BC when I had my house there. The parts live on as the forks, wheels, headset, brakes and drivetrain went onto a sh Decade Virtue frame for Mrs Slack, to replace her stolen P7.

I loved the Superlight and have yet be able to let go!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Do you get attached to frames?’ is closed to new replies.