Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do you floss?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Dentist tells me I should so I bought some dental floss but most my teeth seem too close together; do most people really floss?

meehaja
    Free Member

do it once, smell the floss. Do it always!

wwaswas

those little brush things are quite good if your teeth are too big for the available jaw space.

I floss irregularly but teeth feel cleaner when I do remember to.

Just got some water jet flossing thing so hoping it motivates me to do it more regularly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

I use interdental brushes, as recommended by my dentist, which is also the cheapest place that I’ve found to buy them….

onandon
    Free Member

Try the single use pic’s with floss at the other end.
    I use them 5/6 times a day

As meehaja, sniff the string and it’s enough to make you ALWAYS floss.

mudshark
    Free Member

Just got some water jet flossing thing so hoping it motivates me to do it more regularly.

As good as real floss? Like this? Sounds good.

http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/shop/oral_irrigator.php?gclid=CP303YTh2LUCFUTItAodkUAAiw

wwaswas

I use them 5/6 times a day

😯

dashed
    Free Member

Yup, floss every day – hate having stuff stuck between my teeth :mrgreen:

Hohum
    Free Member

I started using it regularly about a year ago after many years of being badgered by my hygienist to do so.

One thing I have noticed is that I struggle with the cheap floss and have to use the more expensive waxed tape instead.

Hygienist told me that the food that is caught between your teeth will start to calcify after a few days, yuck.

nickc

Brush your teeth ( pref with electric brush) then floss, then mouthwash twice a day

Pretty much all my dentists* recommend Colgate total or oral b pro expert

*12 from most European countries, it’s like an EU flounce-a-thon, pity me

onandon
    Free Member

yep, I don’t like the feeling of a mucky gob 🙂
    My hygienist always compliments me on the cleanliness of my teeth and it doesn’t do any harm unless you are heavy handed.

footflaps

My hygienist got me into Sonicare toothbrushes about 8 years ago, amazing things, can’t use a normal toothbrush now, nothing else feels as clean.

onandon
    Free Member

too true, im on my 3rd Sonic toothbrush now. expensive but WELL worth the money.
    regular “manual” toothbrushes use feel a bit manky even after a good scrub.

mudshark
    Free Member

wwaswas – I hope you do use it at that price!

I’ve been a bit naughty it seems; I didn’t go to the dentist for 25 years and only went as I had some pain – and got 2 fillings for my trouble.

skiprat
    Free Member

I have one of these (2nd from left) and its great. Amazing what they get out after you’ve just eaten and even when you’ve just brushed.

http://www.waterpik.co.uk/

wwaswas

wwaswas – I hope you do use it at that price!

my dentist is knocking them out for less than £50.

Clearly a lot more than minty string but never mind.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I floss pretty much every day now. Last time I went to the dentist he said I was in the top 5% of people if I did, which made me feel all proud!

Before I started flossing, every time I went to the dentist, I got five minutes of the high pitched tooth angle grinder thing, whereas if I do floss, the appointment takes no time. A small amount of time with the floss each day is quite satisfying, whereas 5 minutes of the angle-grinder is quite uncomfortable, even if it is just twice a year.

If you have trouble doing it, check out youtube for ‘how to floss your teeth’ videos, it is fiddly but once you have the hang of it you can do it pretty quick. Also, I find branded floss is better than non-branded cheap ones, cheap ones tend to fall apart in your mouth.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I floss and have the same problem as the OP – they call it a compacted jaw and the fact that my back teeth are still trying to push through are moving my teeth forward. Although this morning I was told I had a weird bite (due to finger sucking when very young). I have found that the expensive floss got stuck between my teeth as it felt like the consistency of string. I now get the Sainsburys value floss – which is a lot thinner and works better for me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If there was a micro-camera small enough you could take pictures of the bacteria waving as the floss passed them by.

Alcohol-based anti-bacterial mouthwash/toothpaste on a brush/flouride-rich mouthwash.

Rinse.

thx1138
    Free Member

Alcohol-based anti-bacterial mouthwash

A nice single malt, you mean?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Non alcohol-free” I should say. Like the idea of a swift Lagavulin as part of the regime though! 😀

This:

http://www.healthcare-learning.com/news/item/is-flossing-a-waste-of-time

klumpy
    Free Member

stumpy01

Yep, I floss (almost) every day before bed.

Those TePe brushes pictured above are good as well, but don’t really do as much as flossing. You are supposed to pull the floss around the base of the tooth, which gets below the gum line. Those brushes alone can’t really to that, although they are good at getting food out from between your teeth.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I recommend Plax mouthwash. Stop wasting your time and money.

toys19
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, thats missing the point as flossing is pushed by dentists to prevent gum disease not tooth decay.

mudshark
    Free Member

Googled Plax, doesn’t look so great eg
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8511266

I like the look of the water squirty ones though some have problems with some of them looking at Amazon reviews.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah that water-air flosser looked good (as I can rarely be bothered with normal flossing) but reading some of the negative points puts me off (mostly around that it only really works if you have reasonable gapes between your teeth, most of mine are pretty squashed) and that even the manual says it’s not a replacement for flossing (wtf is the point then? :p ). No chance I’m brushing, mouth-wash rinsing, water flossing then manual flossing twice a day…

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve flossed 2 or 3 times. I find I can’t get the stuff between my teeth.

I rely on brushing until my gums are in shreds and gargling with bleach*.

*When I was a kid, I spent a few weeks on summer with my Gran who insisted I brush my teeth with domestos. I kid you not. She was proper mental though.

globalti
    Free Member

Orab B floss, then an Orab B rotating head brush every night before bed and sometimes the interdental brush especially if I’ve eaten meat.

There’s even some evidence that people who floss regularly suffer less Alheimer’s disesase. Wonder how that works then?

My Dad was diagnosed with premature senile dementia at the age of 55. Interestingly he had a mouth full of amalgam, really stacks of it; all his molars were filled and all his teeth along the gum lines where he had scrubbed the enamel away by aggressive brushing across his teeth. For the last 20 years of his life he was in the habit of snacking on an apple every night before bed; I can’t help wondering if the acid was dissolving the amalgam though dentists tell me “there’s no evidence….” every time I mention it.

footflaps

My concern if gum decay – my teeth are bomb proof, 42 and no fillings and unlikely to ever need one. Whereas my gums are receding away….

technicallyinept
    Free Member

My teeth are also very close together (I must have a freakishly tiny mouth) and have to use thin floss.

Went to the dentist last week.
    In addition to a reminder about flossing, he also recommended not fully rinsing out the toothpaste after brushing (before going to bed).

boxfish
    Free Member

Flossing every day means I don’t need to see a dental hygienist.

M6TTF
    Free Member

if you have close teeth try using dental tape rather than floss, its much easier.

natrix
    Free Member

Aldi interdental brushes are good (they come in as a special offer from time to time)as are the single use toothpics with floss at the other end.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I ended up buying a Panasonic EW 1211 Dental Care Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator from Amazon. Been using it for a week now and find it easy to use – amazing how much stuff gets flushed out after eating muesli. 🙂

daveb
    Free Member

I use one of the water air floss things and think it is great, use it every day, I used to floss but couldnt really be bothered with it and only did it every now and again.

Also got one of the Sonicair toothbrushes, teeth feel so much better than a ‘manual’ toothbrush.

Just to top it up i use a mouthwash once a day, not at the same time as brushing. I cant remember the name of it though – Corsadyl maybe?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do you floss?’ is closed to new replies.