Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 317 total)
  • Do you flash other drivers when you see a speed camera van?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

yep everytime, let them sit and get bored

gwaelod
    Free Member

fair point, but do they actually change that undesirable behaviour? Or does it just teach them to slow for cameras and carry on driving poorly? A cultural shift towards ride in ones standard of driving is what is needed.

I agree completely. In the meantime technology can help

Every car should have a taser connected to the drivers seat and it should be activated by a satnav, triggering a shock in the drivers genital area when the speed limit zones in the onboard gps database are exceeded by the vehicles speed, also proximity indicators that detect cyclists within 3 feet when the car is traveling at 10mph or greater should automatically trigger a tazering.
    I’m sure STW’s hive mind can come up with some more.

Bez

fair point, but do they actually change that undesirable behaviour? Or does it just teach them to slow for cameras and carry on driving poorly? A cultural shift towards ride in ones standard of driving is what is needed.

Agreed. But I take pleasure from these people being stung for a pocketful of cash. More than that, though, I find the degree to which people subsequently complain about being stung makes for a tremendously useful Pillock Barometer 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Indeed it was, surprised it wasn’t in there earlier to be honest.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

it was an open goal

I think I got my toe on it.

maccruiskeen

triggering a shock in the drivers genital area

are we talking about speeders or flashers?

v8ninety

How do you feel about red-light cameras? Some of them will check your speed too.

Damn good idea, and for the record, I’m not completely averse to speed cameras either. I just don’t like the way that speed cameras seem to have erroded the enforcement of good driving standards generally. Maybe you’re right, not the political will or money to have intelligent enforcement of our roads, but I think that that is a crying shame.

You say

I hope the careless eejit that crashes into me is driving under the (arbitrary speed limit)

Fair point, but as a pedestrian I’d rather get nearly hit by a driver who was driving moderately over the speed limit but was paying full attention to the road and hazards present and therefor was in a possition to stop or avoid me as I stepped out into the road without looking, than be hit bu a dopey driver tootling along at 25mph whilst texting on his phone, who didn’t even brake because the first time he saw me was as I dissappeared over his roof.

EDIT; I meant pride not ride, DD, flippin iPhone. And I don’t know how, but speed cameras and ignoring other bad driving is not how. We should look on the older generation maybe, there was more pride back then. Also I for one would support regular recertification for driving licences, GASAFE (ne Corgi) engineers have to, and the stuff they work with is a lot less deadly (statistically speaking) than the humble car…

maccruiskeen

I think I got my toe on it.

smut!

Bez

a dopey driver tootling along at 25mph whilst texting on his phone, who didn’t even brake because the first time he saw me was as I dissappeared over his roof

Tangential point, but I see more and more people using phones in cars these days. It seems to be getting close to daily that I see someone drifting off the road and swerving back on and, surprise, they’ve got some gadget they’re fiddling with.

Really needs to be cracked down on.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Would you.rather the dopey driver was going 35 or 25?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fair point, but as a pedestrian I’d rather get nearly hit by a driver who was driving moderately over the speed limit but was paying full attention to the road and hazards present and therefor was in a possition to stop or avoid me as I stepped out into the road without looking, than be hit bu a dopey driver tootling along at 25mph whilst texting on his phone, who didn’t even brake because the first time he saw me was as I dissappeared over his roof.

But the careless eejit will still be careless…that’s my point. mccruiskeen had a good plan for improving driving standards. What’s yours? Because of the careless eejit, we have to have limits. You can’t simply say that we should all be allowed to drive at whatever speed we want, as long as we’re careful because the careless eejit that thinks he’s not careless at all, because that’s the very nature of carelessness will then drive faster than normal and kill someone instead of injuring them.

So how do we increase the carefulness of careless eejits?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Do you flash other drivers when you see a speed camera van?

Well I would but I’d end up crashing trying to pull my trollies down and showing my arse to oncoming vehicles.

v8ninety

Would you.rather the dopey driver was going 35 or 25?

a moot point I think, both very likely to be fatal. The only reason that thirty is considered survivable is because they are taking into account reaction and braking time of an alert driver, so a much lower impact speed, if an impact at all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tangential point, but I see more and more people using phones in cars these days.

Very true! It seems that after an initial no tolerance period, the bizzies have given up on this…or as I suspect more strongly, everyone thinks he or she can get away with it now after the indignant atmosphere that accompanied the legislation.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Not a moot point at all. Slower speed. More time for all involved to react. Fact.

Bez

Not a moot point at all. Slower speed. More time for all involved to react. Fact.

The example was a driver not seeing a pedestrian who in turn didn’t see the driver. Reactions are, in that specific example, indeed moot.

v8ninety

It’s a moot point if I’m still dead, if you ask me. Which you did I think?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Yes of course I do, doesn’t everyone who isn’t a sociopathic ****?

Bez

Yes of course I speed, doesn’t everyone who is a sociopathic ****?

FTFY 😉

crispedwheel
    Free Member

pottsathome – Member

Yeah i flash mainly at other vans but that s just a brotherhood thing. I need to ask this for all the people saying they never do flash and i hope they all get caught. Do you never ever ever speed or maybe chance a red light or answer a quick call or even nip down the shop without a seatbelt. Maybe you are all saints but i doubt it

Brotherhood of what – ignorant idiots with no appreciation of the potential of their actions or inactions?
    And no to all of your apparently rhetorical questions. ‘Answer a quick call’?’ WTF is that important? If that makes me a ‘high horse’ person Brycy, so be it. Given that this is a cycling forum I, erm, actually ride a bike most of the time rather than drive.

aracer
    Free Member

They catch people … who are driving so fast that they can’t slow down even to the speed limit as they come round a corner and see a copper with a hairdryer or a massive fluorescent van who’s already nabbed them before they’ve had a chance to slow down (for less than the speed limit used to be on that bit of road, before they reduced it for no obvious or valid reason).

FTFY

konabunny
    Free Member

Never flash to warn.

More traffic police, fewer cameras please.

speed cameras…target one…aspect of (?) bad driving…No substitute for good, observant and fair traffic coppers, which have steadily decreased in numbers since the advent of cameras…

More traffic police paid for by more traffic cameras, then? Or, to put it another way, how much extra tax did you want to pay for more traffic police?

Of course KSIs are random by their nature

KSIs are random by their nature? So someone is just as likely to be killed or seriously injured here as here? That seems a little unlikely. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood something? It wouldn’t be the first time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They’re rarely on corners.

Bez

before they’ve had a chance to slow down

Nah – tush and pish. You get a perfectly good chance to slow down when you approach the big white sign with the red circle and the number in it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

KSIs are random by their nature? So someone is just as likely to be killed or seriously injured here as here? That seems a little unlikely. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood something? It wouldn’t be the first time.

It was a different end of the discussion – I’m interested more in when a number of KSIs at a stretch of road becomes a significant enough statistic to justify a speed camera. It seems that in 2002 it was changed to 4 but aracer reckons that has since changed and that there was even a radius around that stretch where there had been 4 KSIs where you could plonk a camera wherever you wanted. (I find this second part hard to believe but lack the interest anymore to google it). I didn’t bother clicking on your links because I’ve lost interest in the thread.

EDIT: I meant “random” in that we cannot predict when they will happen – we can estimate the number over any given time from historical data, but not when. As we all know, accidents (for want of a better word) occur on stretches of road where the probability of them occurring might be very low and they sometimes never occur (or very infrequently) where the probability might be very high.

What it comes down to (i.e. the statistical argument) is that one person will use the maths to justify speed cameras, while someone else will use it to show that they have no effect on the likelihood of anymore KSIs occurring.

I’m in the camp of them being necessary as long as people continue to drive like tossers. Nothiwithstanding, that everybody on STW is at a level that the AIM could only dream of. 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Aracer, How does regression to the mean explain lower speeds in this context?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Best of Luck with an answer to that question.

You might get a FTFY though. 🙂

Gordy
    Free Member

Have to agree with the people who said general shit driving may be worse than just speeding. I mean, I’m not a great driver but at least I can indicate and keep it between the lines, which is more than a lot of folk.

I’m usually flying along and I can still manage it!

v8ninety

But the careless eejit will still be careless…that’s my point. mccruiskeen had a good plan for improving driving standards. What’s yours? Because of the careless eejit, we have to have limits. You can’t simply say that we should all be allowed to drive at whatever speed we want, as long as we’re careful because the careless eejit that thinks he’s not careless at all, because that’s the very nature of carelessness will then drive faster than normal and kill someone instead of injuring them.

DD, see my edit, sorry. I completely agree with the eejit hypothesis, for what it’s worth, I always drive like every other road user is. Having to legislate for the lowest common denominator is why we need speed limits. Which I’m certainly not arguing against. How would I change the careless driver culture? For what it’s worth, I’d make the driving test harder, introduce compulsory recertification every two or three years and make having a driving licence something to be proud of, rather than a god given right. At recerts people would have to demonstrate a high level of anticipation and planning in their driving, and if at any point on the road someone demonstrated a failure of anticipation or planning, their licence would be removed pending a retest. Fringe benifits, quieter roads, and a regained pride in the not to be underestimated skill required to drive a motor vehicle safely restored.

But there would be no public support because most of them would struggle to keep their licenses…

EDIT;

I’m in the camp of them being necessary as long as people continue to drive like tossers. Nothiwithstanding, that everybody on STW is at a level that the AIM could only dream of.

See I completely agree, except that I don’t think speed cameras make any difference to people driving like tossers at all. The only sort that could possibly have an effect would be some sky et style all seeing traffic speed monitoring system that could punish for any speed infringement, no matter where or when. And even then, people would still drive like tossers, but maybe more often within the speed limit.

dogbert
    Free Member

Yes – Because I try not to be a **** everyday

oh, and I suppose everyone with a license on here has never drifted over the speed limit in their life?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

EDIT: I meant “random” in that we cannot predict when they will happen – we can estimate the number over any given time from historical data, but not when. As we all know, accidents (for want of a better word) occur on stretches of road where the probability of them occurring might be very low and they sometimes never occur (or very infrequently) where the probability might be very high.

Stochastic then. Yes

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In short, yes. 😛

EDIT: I think. 😕 Tired. Bed.

I was just trying to explain the context of my comment to konabunny.

aracer
    Free Member

You’re asking me how the factor which explains one thing explains something completely unrelated, which I’ve made no claim for it explaining?

What do you think explains the lower speeds at camera sites?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, i ‘m sure aracer will be along soon to disabuse us of our misconceptions around inferential statistics

Ok, i apologise, i had made some assumptions relating speed to accidents. but do explain how regression to the mean explains the reduction in number of accidents, without statistics?

What do you think explains the lower speeds at camera sites?

Erm.. People slowing down?

aracer
    Free Member

do explain how regression to the mean explains the reduction in number of accidents.

I thought you were the statistician? Given the requirement for a number of accidents in a time period before a camera is put in place…

Edit: I see your edit about not using stats – how am I supposed to explain a statistical issue without using stats?

Erm.. People slowing down?

I was hoping for a slightly more in depth analysis than that from you!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I thought you were the statistician? Given the requirement for a number of accidents in a time period before a camera is put in place…

No, not me. But even if it were, don’t let that stop you.

aracer
    Free Member

No, not me.

Yet you presented at ICOTS? 😯

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Edit: I see your edit about not using stats – how am I supposed to explain a statistical issue without using stats?

Ok, use stats if you really need to.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, not me.
    Yet you presented at ICOTS?

Yes

aracer
    Free Member

So what did you present at a scientific conference about teaching stats that didn’t require you to be a statistician then?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘Do you flash other drivers when you see a speed camera van?’ is closed to new replies.