Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Do you find it hard to settle down because of your hobbies?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Or another way of putting it, are many STW’ers here married? I’ve always been a big outdoor person, I’m a ski instructor so spend anything from a few weeks to a few months away teaching. Also with travelling to the odd mountain bike race etc, I think my lifestyle might put a lot of girls off that just want to settle down, and have kids etc. All the mud and dirty clothes about the place must be a bit off putting for some girls too 😉 , not to mention the constant will/need to get a new bike or bike parts. Just out of a break up so my heads a bit up in the clouds at the mo.

Surely I’m not the only one like this though? 😐 .. Guessing there’s lots more of you out there similar to me anyway! 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

No….hth 🙂

The right one’s out there…have fun searching.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

As lazybike said, the right one is out there. Either that or I’m very lucky. My wife shares my enthusiasm for all things outdoor- biking, motocross,snowboarding, kayaking etc. she wouldn’t have it any other way.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was watching ‘take me out’ last night and every time one of the fellas mentioned that he liked doing outdoorsy type stuff (cycling, climbing, hiking etc.) a significant number of the girls turned their lights out.

It’s hardly a scientifically robust study but it was pretty clear that a lot of women think activities that involve exercise and/or the outdoors are not an attractive hobby for a potential boyfriend.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Me and the mrs have similar hobbies – different veins though – shes a roadie im more mtb . She has been known to win the odd mtb race though.

Does mean we are not in each other pockets all the time – eg this morning we got up ate breakfast together and i went off mtbin she went and met the local womans chaingang for a ride

The only hobby that jayne has no interest in is land rovers and offroad driving.maybe once i get my v8 back on the road and take her to a couple of rtvs as a driver/passenger instead of watching which would be boring if you have no interest.

I also Travel with work for 4-6 weeks at a time at short notice. This is a pain but good communications helps alot , lots of emails back and forth and skype/facetime

I can see how this would cause huge complications with cultivating a new relationship though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I know what you mean but I’m the girlie who loves all thay. Mr MC and I met at SiTS 14 hour in Sept 2002 all pur hobbies are the same mtbing, road riding, motorbiking, snowboarding and now scuba diving. We have time apart as we both do shift work so after next weekend we have 6 weeks where we dont have a day off together so it isnt a problem. Lots of work mates think im mad we are vaguely house hunting but only stompulation is a double garage and preferably only 3 bedrooms! Hey we are about to celebrate 10 yrs together but not interested in marriage enougj commitment without wasting money on a “do” because society dictates we should. Love my live just wish I had more time to do ALL my hobbies!!!

lazybike
    Free Member

I was watching ‘take me out’ last night

😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

No no probs here either, you just have to find the right partner.

That can be either hard or good fun depending on you POV..
    😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

In answer to your question I would say absolutely not.

Kids on the other hand will kill 90% of what you would ideally want to be doing!

shifter
    Free Member

Likes “stompulation”! I think that’s what my little one does while she’s throwing a wobbler 🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Not found it hard to settle down because of my hobbies, but there is a certain point in my life in which it seemed simpler to do it. In your teens you’re usually not mature enough to settle down. In your 20s you’re probably chasing a career and that makes life difficult. Late 20s to 30s seems to be the sweet spot but this is a generalisation.

Or maybe you’re just dating the wrong type of women or there’s a personality flaw you’ve not addressed adequately.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was watching ‘take me out’ last night 😯

It’s a fair cop.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I was watching ‘take me out’ last night

Bit of a cringe show but it is funny seeing how picky some girls are. I think they think along the lines of “if he’s out there playing football or cycling the whole time then when is he gonna have time for me”.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Nicely done Munge Chick!!!

lazybike
    Free Member

when is he gonna have time for me

10 mins before zzzz

I apologise for the mildly sexist mild attempt at humour.. 😳

somafunk

i don’t think my hobbies have a great extent on my not wanting to settle down or find a partner, although it has caused problems years ago as i wanted (and did) go out on the bike whenever i wanted and my gf at the time wanted to do stuff like clothes shopping/get engaged/talk bout the future/consider kids etc, I never went clothes shopping, not interested in that or shopping in general so that caused problems, I’m not interested in getting married as i’m not religious in any way or form and if i say i love you then why do we need a bit of paper to prove it so that caused problems, and as for having kids i have to be honest here and say i don’t want them at all – not in the slightest – i’ve got to 40 without them and i’m perfectly happy to live my life without them, so that has caused problems.

I do look after my mates kid and i’m an unofficial non-religous type of godfather and legal guardian to their 4yr old if god-forbid anything happened to them and i love him to bits but i don’t want kids of my own and this seems to be the biggest stumbling block when i do meet someone as they generally do want kids. Personally i prefer living on my own, doing what i want, when i want and not having to answer or seek permission to do anything, i’ve always been like that and it suits me perfectly to be on my own rather than constantly in relationships or chasing relationships like some of my friends, it works for them, doesn’t work for me.

Single and very happy 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hmm interesting Sumafunk! Do you get bored of that ever?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

when is he gonna have time for me
    10 mins before zzzz
    I apologise for the mildly sexist mild attempt at humour..

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Michael, can you not just find some seasonnaire totty to boff while you’re out there? 😉

Bonus points for getting in on in a bubble/cable car, by the way.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m kind of with Somafunk with what he says although I do all of that with Mr MC (maybe he’ll have a different view point.. .shall I call him to the forum).

br
    Free Member

Based upon the hassle friends get from their wives who don’t have hobbies/interests, make sure you find a lady who has a hobby.

somafunk

Bored?…..why should i get bored just because i have no significant other half?.

Nah, not in the slightest….i prefer being single, lived by myself for 12 odd years and i doubt i’ll ever change. When i was 16 in the school summer holidays i got a lift wi a local lorry driver to dover and i was armed wi my passport and £200 spending money, i hitched a lift to just outside lisbon, spent a few days there then onto seville and onto a summer job at a winery in Andulucia, fantastic fun and eventually i had to hitch my way back home a week after the schools went back, also spent 6 months wandering/hitching about africa on my own in my early 20’s, spent 6 months doing the same in turkey/cyprus, spent a year or so in India doing the same all on my own. Boredom has never entered into my consciousness and i appreciate that may seem odd to some folk but i’m quite happy n’ contented wi my life and doing what i want, when i want.

Edit : If there is a girl out there who thinks the same as me and is as independent as me, ability to trust each other with no trace of jealousy or possessive attitude and likes her own space and ability to do whatever she likes when she likes with who she likes then yeah, that’d probably work out fine as a relationship but i’ve never met anyone quite like that so i’m just as happy n’ content on my own.

Yeah….i’ve been told i’m odd, 😀

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bored?…..why should i get bored just because i have no significant other half?.

I dunno, just someone to vent off to after a bad day or whatever. Supposes there’s mates and random people at bus stations for that though :-).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Wise words there CFH haha! I miiiight have done that before 😉 .

clareymorris

Unfortunately it seems a lot of girls (I don’t think I am over-generalising here am I girls?) don’t have their own hobbies and possibly don’t understand the attraction/need/fun/cost! Luckily Tom does as do I with his passions (which luckily includes mountain biking!):-D

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BJINABUBBLE FTW! 😉

Bunnyhop

Most women are not outdoor types and the ones that aren’t, probably aren’t right for you.

Mr bh and myself met on a skiing holiday so were half way there. I also got him into mtbing, which he loves.

You will meet someone that fits your lifestyle, they are out there (mainly the type I know). Goodluck because it will happen.

And flashy tut tut! I’m sure we’d never catch you doing anything of the sort 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bunny, you’d never catch me, that’s true. 🙂

Not to say it hasn’t happened, though…. 😉

djglover
    Free Member

My Mrs grew up on a sheep farm on the North Yorks Moors. as a result she hates the outdoor lifestyle. I am a city boy who loves the outdoors, we found our compromise living in Ilkley.

MoreCashThanDash

I didn’t ride till we were married and had our little one – I’d given it up before I met her to do martial arts and gym stuff.

Apparently it really grates that now we have a family and much less income I have an expensive hobby. When pushed, she won’t commit as to whether we’d have got married if I’d had an expensive hobby in the first place….

Mind you, when we met she wasn’t a Guide leader and she didn’t spend her spare time doing all that stuff…

DT78
    Free Member

My wife isn’t particularly outdoorsy but I don’t think it matters we still have loads of other things in common and enjoy each others company.

When she met me I was in the british squad (for another sport) so she is used to me training a lot. That might change if we have kids….

There is a bit of moaning about money and the fact I have 5 bikes. Which is annoying but she wants a family home so understandable.

vickypea
    Free Member

I met my other half through mountain biking and I think it’s brilliant sharing a major interest. In my previous relationship, my ex and I had very different interests and he positively hated cycling. I was the one whizzing off for bike rides and coming home all exhilarated and muddy, and storing my bikes in the hall! There are outdoorsy women out there who want a relationship with outdoorsy men!

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

I’ve always surfed and climbed, basically done exactly what I wanted to do. Also, I have always worked away from home.
    Engineered life to suit only me!

I didn’t find it hard to settled down & get married. I found the right woman & was prepared to compromise. Having said thatm I still work away (2wks away 2 wks at home). During my two weeks off I try to squeeze my hobbies in (during the day, while she works) and the rest of my time belongs to my wife. My wife has no interest in any of my hobbies, so we do other things 😯

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

See that’s what annoys me why do women (men sometimes?? probably not) moan about OH’s spending money on bikes. If you can “afford” it and it makes you happy I say go for it! Me and Mr MC have seperate accounts for “fun” stuff so there is NO WAY I would stop him or even contemplate moaning at him for spending money on something he loves. he’s never happier than tinkering in the garage greasing something (well unless it doesn’t work/break then he’s awful 😉 someone at work said to me recently “but what happens if you can’t afford to go on holiday?” well there are two answers (a) that never happens (we both love holidays and save accordingly) and (b) if I can’t afford it we don’t go!!! Simples, some people do make for a complicated life I can tell you now I’m NEVER giving up my personal bank account and savings so that I p**s my own money away on another rucksack, pair of Merrell outdoor shoes or bike bling.

Oh and my Xmas pressies from Mr MC (inc dive computer I got in October) were some lights for night riding and a mucky nutz bender fender! Friends think I’m weird but what fab pressies!!! he once took me to NY and said I could have antyhing in Tiffanys as an Xmas pressie, i walked in looked at all the pretentious woman said “no thanks” and walked out again .. had my pic taken with the sign though!!!!

growinglad
    Free Member

Lucky as i got the wife into biking. First weekend away before bikes was climbing up snowdon and we met on a climbing course so no probs there. Having 3 kids under 4 has left me in the red regarding free time. About to put them to bed and head out for a quick blast on the fix. Bit tough at times and sometimes miss the freedom to just grab my bike and kit and head off for the weekend. But earlier playing with the rug rats on their balence bikes is the plus. So good partner no. Kids can make things a bit trickier

sweaman2
    Free Member

OH and I have simmilar interests… But we emigrated to Canada 4 years ago so we would be closer to what we enjoy doing. So skiing is now just a day trip, or even a few hours on the local golf course (xc). Not a problem settling down but the kids debate is more significant to my mind.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

i am married with 3 children , youngest 1 month , training and racing has never been a major problem , it is however occasionaly a minor problem. if you are into your hobbies/sport before they come along they should accept that is part of you , if not they are not the one . on a completely different topic i am looking to get in touch with you regarding travelling to uk events this season.

Bunnyhop

Lol at M-c.

Mr bh bought me a reverb ‘uppy downy’ seat post for Christmas, best pressie ever. Haven’t told one of my non mtbing friends at they wouldn’t understand, or even know what it was.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I only really had one hobby when I met Mrs_d – music.

I now have several hobbies (music still in there) and we’re still together, 25 years on. I’m just careful that I’m not doing them all at once, or one immediately after another.

For example, music Wednesdays and also today, MTBing maybe when it stops raining for more than a couple of days at a time (ie not much lately); haven’t touched the helicopters for a while; need to brew again, probably next sunday; and there’s a 1:35 Marder APC on the way.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Bunnyhop yup I understand I once got body armour for a birthday present, joplin uppy downy one Christmas and a hard tail bike for my 30th now they certainly didnt understand why i wanted that over some diamond ear rings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Do you find it hard to settle down because of your hobbies?’ is closed to new replies.