• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by joefm.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do you experienced Enduro racers still get nervous by the stages?
  • neenan1
    Free Member

I’ve only done two beginner/fun races (and absolutely loved them) but some of the stages made me nervous just looking at them. I’m interested to know as an experienced racer does that go away or do you still look at stages thinking “oh shit”.

Northwind

Oh hell yes. But then I am experienced, doesn’t mean I’m very good. Every so often there’ll be a stage or a section that just shits me up. And y’know, never without reason, some of this stuff is hard so I don’t think it’s anything to be ashamed of, if it was easy would we bother?

Dare to fear :mrgreen:

rickon
    Free Member

What races you done in the past? And what you thinking of doing?

You’ll find you’ll feel more comfortable the further you push yourself.

Riding something steeper or more technical hits the reset button in your brain, as to what’s scary for you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nerves are part of the game….

(Not an experienced Enduro racer as we don’t have many to race here)

I’ve raced tracks on sight which is good as you just ride what you see if your confidence is up.
    I’ve got nervous after practicing and nailing a track because I know I can do it.

Part of racing is to address the mental aspect, in DH the best thing I ever did was walk the track with some calm people, making thinking mans decisions about lines and being realistic about my ability.

Depending on the amount of practice you have think about a Plan B for the sections you don’t like, is there a B line (in a lot of cases doing a B line well is quicker than an A line badly) is there a different approach or do you just need to slow down and get through that bit. There was a great set of pics from a section of the Whistler EWS where one of the pro riders jumped off and ran down a very tricky section before jumping back on. The thought being that although there was a time advantage to riding that section the chance of failure was high so he opted to drop a second or two over potentially dropping 10-15 or more with a crash.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

will be my 25th gravity style enduro this weekend

Don’t think that feeling ever goes away if you like to push yourself. Everyone has their own skill and fitness levels and if your pushing for your best on each stage then it should make you nervous.

Any trail ridden at the limits can be hard, even the easy trail centre stages. But its the feeling of making it down and knowing you have given it your all that gives you the satisfaction.

If you werent nervous it probably wouldnt be as much fun

neenan1
    Free Member

That’s good and reassuring to hear.

I’m a great believer in getting out of your ‘comfort zone’. Also the stages that have worried me, I find are the ones I’ve enjoyed the most. I think it’s a combination of they are genuinely good and feeling of achievement, or getting down intact.

Steep and techy is the bit that freaks me out at the mo. Like Rickon said I’m learning to change the way I ride it and stay off the brakes and locking up.

rooster42
    Free Member

Last year was my first year Enduro racing, couldn’t even ride some of the techy stages and had to push or take the sissy line, but it did improve my riding skills and I actively went out to practice the steep and techy stuff until eventually I manned up and cleared some big drop offs, steep rooty chutes and gnarly boulder fields. Still puts the fear of god in me but I’ve improved no end. This year the plan is to go faster and start scoring points, but have already crashed big style at Grizedale PMBA and still sore after three weeks so have had to slow down a bit and re-boot. Still, felt good practising around Helvellyn this weekend, so hoping to improve and go well at Lee Quarry / Cockhill next month.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Riding something steeper or more technical hits the reset button in your brain, as to what’s scary for you.

What @Rickon says. My idea of steep and rooty was redefined by going to the Alps for example

northerntom
    Free Member

I find practicing stages always helps, just to get an idea of what’s coming, and sessioning any parts that would potentially have me worried. I always find focusing on something, rather than getting worried, helps me a lot, just think about what you need to do, and how to do it. It’s all about trying to ride similar stuff to what’s in races, living in London and racing in Scotland doesn’t help this, but you do what you can I guess.

For me, I still struggle to ride normally on the first stage, and pedal far too much, and don’t relax. I would say that’s the most important part, relax and focus!

roverpig

Surely fear is the only rational response to such a stupid activity. Has there ever been a race where they didn’t have to cart at least one competitor off to A&E? One day (by the law of averages) that will be you. So, it’s only natural to sit on the start line and wonder whether today is your day.

But presumably you do it because you enjoy it and are prepared to take the risk. So, take it 🙂

leebaxter
    Free Member

I was thinking about this the other day whilst approaching an event. I seem to get nervous about 20 mins before arriving at the venue, it lasts for about 5 mins then disappears. Then its down to business, so no nerves atall, although i used to get very nervous.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

as others have said, it’s the nerves and the feeling of being out of your comfort zone that make it feel so rewarding when you complete the event or stage you were dreading. it’s also pushing your comfort zone which is one of the biggest aids to learning and getting better. i find the more enduros it’s not that i get any less nervous really, more that i learn to control and manage the nerves better

munrobiker
    Free Member

experienced Enduro racers

Do you realise where you’re posting?

chakaping
    Free Member

I am not hugely experienced, but do get nerves sometimes.

Not usually to do with the trail technicality, more just overthinking my riding and letting the pressure of the occasion get to me.

But then other times I don’t feel the pressure at all and almost forget I’m racing while still mid-stage.

My results reflect this TBH.

mikeep
    Free Member

Raced a full year enduro last year but years of XC races before that so kinda only get a little nervous about 10 seconds before the start of a stage. Maybe I should wind myself up a little more, might get faster 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

I’m gonna totally wind you up before each stage at EWS, Mike.

Rocks in your bag, quick squirt of co2 in your tyres, locking out your fork…

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I’d say i’m fairly experienced racer and I still get nervous before a race run. Once i’m into a run i’m fine, but a wee bit on the start line.

joefm

Technically I know I can ride anything Enduro throws at me having raced DH. The only hard part is pushing your limits

But nerves on the start line is normal as you want to do well and not get hurt… Every racer gets it.

But if you’re getting nervous about being able to ride sections, i suggest you ride similar stuff that pushes you so you can increase your experience. There really shouldn’t be anything that you can’t ride on a stage… Afterall, if someone else can, so can you…

What do you usually ride?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do you experienced Enduro racers still get nervous by the stages?’ is closed to new replies.