Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 194 total)
  • Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?
  • jimw
    Free Member

How can I gauge my STWness?

I am over 50, BMI of about 26, balding. So far so good

I used to own an Orange 5 and an Audi A4 Avant, even better (for a short while I had both at the same time)

However, I now own a Skoda and a Cotic Rocket.

So am I more or less STW than I was five years ago?

molgrips
    Free Member

I bumped into the Tunnel Hill Trolls once in the woods. Having discussed the Trolls previously on here I asked ‘Is any of you Peter Poddy?’ Most of them looked baffled and said ‘no, we don’t know him’, but a couple of people sheepishly said ‘er no he’s not out tonight’ to strange looks.

SiB
    Free Member

I saw Ronnie Pickering the other day….surely a STWer?

allthegear
    Free Member

I went on a Peaks Pootle ride once – I’d swear a few there were from STW…

😉

Rachel

40mpg

I used to have my forum name on the toptube of my bike. It never once got me any STW ‘attention’ 😯

[url=https://flic.kr/p/u2EPQ6]P6206673[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

(I know this is a very sad thing to do, but we had 3 near identical Fattys at one time, and stumbling out of the pub in the dark often got them mixed up. This seemed a sensible approach)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I once recognised Peterpoddy and his bright orange on-one at Bristol bike fest and said ‘Hi! I recognise you from STW’, but he looked at me like I’d just wiped my arse on his trousers whilst he was wearing them and grunted at me.

I thought ‘Fair enough’ and haven’t bothered trying since!

All of us in our little group of riding fools have either or nick name or forum name on the outside collar of our jerseys, but thats more to do with our in-house piss taking than anything else.

allan23
    Free Member

Work in IT, over 40, got a bike that far outclasses my skills or fitness (I do have a health excuse for the latter though).

Reckon I’ll be easily visible sat gasping next to some flat trail somewhere. Still faster than being sat on the sofa rotting 🙂

fasthaggis

That sort of thing would never happen here

Hello sailor!

chakaping
    Free Member

I once recognised Peterpoddy and his bright orange on-one at Bristol bike fest and said ‘Hi! I recognise you from STW’, but he looked at me like I’d just wiped my arse on his trousers whilst he was wearing them and grunted at me.

I thought ‘Fair enough’ and haven’t bothered trying since!

😆

Once bitten twice shy, eh?

Just think of all the simmering bromance you might have missed out on as a result though?

Rosss
    Free Member

I saw a chap riding a fat bike near Stile Cop over christmas and thought “He must be on STW”

My local trails are Cwmcarn, BPW, FOD and Cannock and I ride a Capra so I must be easy to spot for most STWers!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I use a false name in real life, just incase someone off STW recognizes my real name and then forces me to engage in awkward conversation.

I met Blower in the Alps once as he was sleeping in his van just down the road from my mates chalet where I was staying. Thankfully he was sound and we had a good craic from the off.

Also saw Grum taking photos at a music event I was at. I shouted “Grum!” at him quite a few times, but I was hammered and the music was loud so was quite glad he didn’t hear.

NormalMan

molgrips – Member
    I’ve chatted to people who I’m sure were STW only to be looked at in stunned disdain when I ask them if they use internet forums.

Been there / done that with riders that have spoken to me while out riding.

I have been identified by my road bike in bike shops on about 3 occasions. But that was due to the bike / comments on purchases etc. on road.cc at the time.

Plus when I joined up here I thought I would never post and used a stupid username based on a bike I had many bikes ago (a Commencal if you were wondering) so I won’t be getting any stickers made up either!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, apparently someone pretended to be me in an MBUK slopestyle competition years ago. What a complement!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Just think of all the simmering bromance you might have missed out on as a result though?

To be honest, I have plenty of MTB boyfriends much closer to home that keep me busy :p

I once rode with STW Barney on the Quantocks too, before he went north. He didn’t do tongues either.

Maybe we need an MTB version of grindr?!

taxi25
    Free Member

Jump into a taxi in Cardiff and you can play a game wondering if the driver is me. It’ll be obvious really, I’m probably the only taxi driver you’ll meet not moaning about the bloody cyclists 😆

jonnyrobertson

STW = fat grumpy sod on a poorly fitting cannondales trigger with failed ghetto tubeless and a MASSIVE camel back full of useless shite.

I haven’t gone tubeless.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m seeing someone from Mumsnet.

I like to live dangerously.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe we need an MTB version of grindr?!

The STW version would be called “whingr”, surely?

Thinking about it, I’ve ridden with a few people who I’m sure use the forum but I’ve never got round to asking their usernames.

Probably been involved in a flamewar with them without realising.

🙂

wwaswas

This is always my fear when anyone mentions it “Have I ever upset them?”

I may start saying I’m hora if people ask.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’ll be obvious really, I’m probably the only taxi driver you’ll meet not moaning about the bloody cyclists

And, judging by your Strava, the one without a huge fat gut.

paulx
    Free Member

Over on the UKSSER forum members are known as ‘tossers’

So if you are out and about on your BMW GS motorcycle and you happen upon another rider on a similar steed you break the ice with the greeting “Hello, are you a tosser?”

Can’t say I’ve tried it though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I shouted “Grum!” at him quite a few times, but I was hammered and the music was loud so was quite glad he didn’t hear.

I’ve met Elfinsafety a few times and chatted a lot on FB. He still calls me Mol, in real life!

jekkyl

so there’s a stw strava group?
    is there a link and any criteria to join or can anyone have a go?

bencooper
    Free Member

This is always my fear when anyone mentions it “Have I ever upset them?”

“Are you the Ben Cooper on STW?”

“Yes, have we argued online? I’m much nicer in real life.”

True conversation.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Are you the Ben Cooper on STW?”

I drive past your place quite often Ben .
    Next time i’m stopping and coming in for the five minute real life argument. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

This never worries me…perhaps you just be nicer on here…like what I am and avoid all the bickering 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

so there’s a stw strava group?
    is there a link and any criteria to join or can anyone have a go?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/3229

Bring it!

RustySpanner

I thought I’d met Aracer, but I was wrong.

I think I’ve ridden past Flashy’s pad.

I’ve met Oxnop and his Mrs on the Snowdon Ranger and at Penmachno, few years apart.

See Muddydwarf commuting quite regularly.

Met a very serious individual from here with a beard and a Pickenflick at the TdF, but I can’t remember if he said who he was.
    Said hello to crossjunkie who was there with his family.

See various members of the HtN/Monday Night massive out now and then.
    Met the lunatic we camped next to at the first HtN at a festival last year.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went on a ride with Junkyard and did not argue with him.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I’ve been watching you all sleeping ……..

chakaping
    Free Member

I went on a ride with Junkyard and did not argue with him.

Ditto. Politics wasn’t mentioned at all IIRC.

🙂

Harry_the_Spider

That reminds me… Somebody came up to me on a steam train in Somerset last year and recognized me from here!

I ran away. I don’t do nutters.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve met a few, no big hitters though 😉

Sadly I’m even more boring in real life than on here so nobody has ever “are you …”‘d me while out on the trails, although a few people have recognised one of my bikes!

Harry_the_Spider

[Not a euphemism]I’ve been in Binners’ back room with Mrs Binners watching. [/Not a euphemism]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I was amazed, I’ve met several and you’re all lovely. Some of you think you can fly the last few meters to the pub.

Didn’t happen.

RustySpanner

I’ve never met anyone from here who wasn’t either lovely, fascinatingly odd or both.

Oh, met ratswithwings at a gig.
    Lovely fella.
    As is xherbivore, who drove me back to my car.

Need to see more of Mr Overshoot and the West Coast crowd when I’m mended.
    🙂

iainc

8 of you in this one, plus me 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

Met a couple at a race – Earlstoke 12 and had a chat with MindlandTrailQuestgraham (I think – the Vegan guy) and Redders as he was crusing along doing a solo and I shot past in my team 40min sprint of gnar!
    I guess I’ve met a few more but I try not to talk about being a sad forumite!

cinnamon_girl

There I was getting bike out of car in a Hampshire village when this random bloke on a bike started talking to me. It was CaptainFlashheart and he recognised my bike. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I was admiring your frame, CG.

😈

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?’ is closed to new replies.