Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)
  • Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?
  • faustus

My strava tells me there are 5 or 6 other forumites (who have joined the strava group at least) on nearly every segment in my local area (Caversham/Reading), so must have seen someone at some point. No idea who they are from names on strava though…i’m fairly anti-social/shy so i’m in no danger of actually speaking to anyone! 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

Keep seeing a guy riding a fat bike around Glossop/Hayfield

Also in the same area a guy riding a Salsa

I’m sure one of them must be on here

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Saw someone from here at Cathedral Cave last Halloween. He was on foot and started a thread about it, posting up that he saw some bikepackers going through it. One of them was me

Very small world…

Waves at ben!! Still impressed at the ease with which you got the bikes up the scrambly bit!!

I always imagine people are off here and who they are…then surprised to find that many have no idea what STW is!!

VanHalen

the first rule of posting on singletrack…. etc etc…

i`ve definatly met a few. we have never spoken about it. ok maybe once to one person but i was off-guard and he asked me.

bigjim

We need a secret sign.

I thought it was

njee20
    Free Member

As an aside I’ve been recognised at least 10 times at events or out on the hills because of my bike, and my propensity to spend too long on here talking shit.

flybywire
    Free Member

haha.. ^ 😆 I work for that brand !!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I expect to see you njee too – speedy trek isn’t it?

Maybe you are so fast that blink and I miss you!

yunki
    Free Member

People who frequent the Beautiful Days festival forum all wear a fez when at other music events..
    It makes it easy to know who to avoid speaking to..
    I think it also probably confuses the heck out of Nigel the traffic warden who has always worn a fez at music events..

IME most riders have never heard of STW or at least, have heard nothing good about it

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve chatted to people who I’m sure were STW only to be looked at in stunned disdain when I ask them if they use internet forums.

I haven’t picked any STWers out at random. I’ve recognised people who I’ve previously met whilst riding around their home turf (Poddy!).

I have also seen a bloke on a fatbike at Swinley a few times who I thought was TINAS but I didn’t stop to ask.

andytherocketeer

My experience is that most people haven’t even heard of forums in general, let alone a specific one related to the mutual topic of recreation. So not so much not knowing about STW, but not even knowing that something like that even exists.

jairaj

Can’t remember his STW user name but I think I saw the guy who built his own carbon fibre bike a while back at Afan.

We were going opposite ways and by the time it clicked in my head that was him he was long gone before I could say “hi”.

I’ve ridden in Surrey hills a few times so I’m sure some of the riders I met on the trails must be STW too?

faustus

I saw someone on a full-sus fatbike last week at Swinley, and passed as they pulled over. Was I in the unwitting company of an STW celeb then? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

edit: and also been sat in a pub in Fairlie, Ayrshire (the one that’s changed its name a couple of times), and a load of MTBers piled in for a post ride pint), and I was trying to suss out who they might be on here.

You should’ve said Hi, I don’t bite Andy!

lovewookie

I recall bumping into Drac at Glentress once.

the givaway was the CHR sticker and of course, the fangs…;-)

njee20
    Free Member

I expect to see you njee too – speedy trek isn’t it?

Not overly speedy with me on it presently! But, yes, a light Trek certainly!

We did a Surrey Hills forum ride about 5 years ago, was very well attended, as well as an improvised one just over a year ago. Should do another one in the summer, good way to meet folk who are almost always less irritating than on here!

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I see at least two or three every morning on Kirkstall road in Leeds.

The only other place I’ve been sure was in Morzine but I suppose that’s a bit like shooting fish in a barrel 🙂

singlespeedstu

I’ve met a few who’ve recognised me and I’ve recognised a few.
    Used to sometimes see Houns but not sure he even rides any more. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

SUBTLE 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve recognised bikes in trail centre car parks before.

There is a fella on here, who i only see when i drive to work (he’s on a bike) as i don’t go that way by bike. I pointed him out to the missus once…

“he’s on STW” “how do you know?” “er dunno” “weirdo”. 😕

iainc

got chatting to another rider on a road spin last year and a few minutes in I said ‘are you Gary M from stw’ 🙂 He was – I recognised the bike, not many green Jake the Snake’s around these parts 🙂

slowoldman

People who frequent the Beautiful Days festival forum all wear a fez when at other music events..
    It makes it easy to know who to avoid speaking to..

That’s a good idea. Maybe we should all wear some sort of headgear.

Harry_the_Spider

I bump into a shower of arseholes off here almost every Monday night.

It is a living nightmare.

legolam
    Free Member

Yup, I do this all the time. I met P20 and Ahsat on a remote moor in Northumberland and stopped for a chat – they’re now very good friends and regular riding buddies. Plus I spent half of the Kielder 101 being towed around by Thenorthwind and shared a beer at the finish line with him. Ir_bandito once greeted me at the end of the North Pennines MTB Marathon with “hey, you’re that girl off strava/STW!” – which my non-STW friend found a bit odd!

My husband regularly thinks I’m going to be abducted by some strange man I’ve met on the internet, and my IRL friends think I’m weird for using the internet to make friends (although they just use it for finding people to have relationships with, which I think is way worse!)

nickc

clearly I know that you’re not all randomly created by some computer, but for some reason I’m always a bit surprised when I meet folk from here in real life.

😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

Maybe we should all wear some sort of headgear.

A helmet

Plus side it means TJ is automatically not in the club 😉

davieg
    Free Member

I went camping and canoeing with Matt_OutandAbout last year, but had never met him before other reading his posts on here.

Hello Matt…

yunki
    Free Member

I have a Singletrack jersey..

I purposely bought it in xs so that it makes me look like a fat biffer 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

I imagine that it’s only a matter of time before hammyuk and mrsfry meet up in real life…… “Fancy meeting you in this dungeon….”

benp1

Makes sense to have some STW branded jerseys etc no?

If pistonheads can do it, then surely we can here?

onandon
    Free Member

STW = fat grumpy sod on a poorly fitting cannondales trigger with failed ghetto tubeless and a MASSIVE camel back full of useless shite.

flange
    Free Member

I followed a bloke down the A20 the other night on a Salsa Vaya in dark grey. Pretty certain it was someone off here.

If it was – you were going well!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I once thought I saw Kryton in his Alfa days, heading up the A3 at night about 7pm.. Black estate, XC bike on the roof.. Couldn’t see if the driver was wearing a certain type of sunglasses, it being dark. But did mention it on here a day or so after to be told NO! Wasn’t Me!

In no uncertain terms 😳

ton

about 8 or so years ago, I was in the carpark at Laggan wolftracks, having just filled my face with scran, when a lovely young lady walked over to me and said ‘hello, are you Ton?’ it turned out to be Bunnyhop off of here.

a year later, I was getting off of the chairlift on Ben nevis, with my bike when a older Geordie bloke approached me, asking if I were Ton off stw. I was embarrassed to say I was…. 😳

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s a good idea. Maybe we should all wear some sort of headgear.

Research tells us that this would discourage new forum members from joining 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Reminds me of this old gem….

Do you singletrack?

cjr61

STW tatloo! Job done

perchypanther
    Free Member

Reminds me of this old gem….

Do you singletrack?

Read that thread and found it a bit disturbing
    Apparently , some men on the internet pretend to be ladies and flirt outrageously with other men.

That sort of thing would never happen here. 😯

rOcKeTdOg

sargey – Member
    I said hello to rocketdog up Clent last year but he ignored me.
    I said,I said hello to rocketdog up…..

He’s an ignorant git & no mistake

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

There was a time when I walked up to this guy with VW Touran and a Blue Sanderson – I said “Are you Matt Out and About” – unfortunately he said yes. 😆 I spend too much time on here.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?’ is closed to new replies.