Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 194 total)
  • Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?
  • SaxonRider

Are you ever out riding, or go into a bike shop, and think ‘this person could be someone from STW’?

With people on here talking about going to Cwmcarn this weekend, I got thinking about the number of times I have been there and probably been passed by someone I ‘know’ from STW.

It’s especially weird in the car park, when people are eating their sandwiches and looking at each other suspiciously, as if they’re sizing each other up…

Who knows? I might have ridden with someone famous (from here).

Drac

I was there 5 years ago, if you go this weekend you might see me. 😉

wwaswas

We need a secret sign.

Perhaps always falling off on the first trail obstacle larger than a kerb would be an appropriate way to identify ourselves?

andybrad

Perhaps always falling off on the first trail obstacle larger than a kerb would be an appropriate way to identify ourselves?

works for me…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find they are easy to spot, they have to lean back enough to look down their noses…

fionap

Yep, last year I pulled into services on the M4 westbound (or maybe it was the M5 south, can’t remember) and there were 2/3 newish German estates, each with very high-end full-sus bikes on the backs, being driven by middle-aged slightly paunchy men dressed in enduro gear and fleeces, obviously on a trip somewhere for a day of gnarr. I looked at them/you and thought – you’re obviously from STW but I’m not going to say anything.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Don’t forget to get up after the fall and blame something else other than your riding ability for the crash.

dmorts

I saw someone last summer up in the Pentlands who I’m sure was a STWer. They were on green Cotic Soul/Solaris with a large bike packing saddle bag.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes, when I came across someone cycling up a trail on a fat bike which is 99.9% used for downhill earlier this week. That said he got out of my way very quickly so I didn’t have to slow down which was very considerate of him.

fasthaggis

I saw a bloke planking in Epping forest once.
    It may have been Kryton. 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?

Only when I’m wearing camouflage gear and looking through a pair of high powered binoculars.

Nice wallpaper , by the way….

sargey

I said hello to rocketdog up Clent last year but he ignored me.

I said,I said hello to rocketdog up……

scotroutes

I live in Aviemore. Some days it seems like the whole bloody forum is here.

benp1

Saw someone from here at Cathedral Cave last Halloween. He was on foot and started a thread about it, posting up that he saw some bikepackers going through it. One of them was me

Very small world…

chakaping
    Free Member

Not really – though I’m sure it happens plenty.

Do you ever think you might be spending too much time on here?

fasthaggis

I was sitting in the Mountain Cafe in Aviemore and saw a bloke on a 9zero7 cycle past. I thought “I bet that’s Druidh ” .
    Couldn’t think of anything stupid to shout,which is unusual for me.

andytherocketeer

Certainly been sat outside the Old Bridge Inn, and thought to myself “100% guaranteed that the guys on the next table are STWers”

edit: and also been sat in a pub in Fairlie, Ayrshire (the one that’s changed its name a couple of times), and a load of MTBers piled in for a post ride pint), and I was trying to suss out who they might be on here.

Morzine, probably, but Orange 5’s are out of fashion now, and it’s all YT Capras, so couldn’t be sure.

Round here, have definitely thought similar but for the German MTB forum. Only one confirmed so far, but then german’s will go riding at 7am on a Sunday, which is way too early.

Been skiing and sussed out that several of them were STWers (easy in once case since his user name here and on ski forum is the same).

SaxonRider

Sometimes, but then I think that, with a mere 146 pages of contributions since the crash, compared to someone else’s 679, I have a lot of catch-up to play.

lunge

Yeah, there are a few in here that I know live vaguely in the area I live so when I see people out and about I often wonder. In fact, there’s one member here who also appears to drink in the same pubs as me so there is every chance I’ve met him.

slowoldman

What’s this “out riding” thing? 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

You bump into folks on the SDW occasionally who fit the STW stereotype, I’ve never asked them if they are of course, that would be foolish and embarrassing.
    I just ride on.

I think you’re all a bit weird 😆

I’m fine of course.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sometimes, but then I think that, with a mere 146 pages of contributions since the crash, compared to someone else’s 679, I have a lot of catch-up to play.

If only you had some kind of time machine….. 😉

warns74
    Free Member

Yep, last year I pulled into services on the M4 eastbound (or maybe it was the M5 north, can’t remember) and there were 2/3 beaten up old skoda estates, each with a slightly rusty, battered looking, 26″ on-one hardtail on the back, being driven by middle-aged slightly paunchy men dressed in a mixture of gear from decathlon and sports direct. I looked at them/you and thought – you’re obviously from STW but I’m not going to say anything.

🙄

Drac

Sometimes, but then I think that, with a mere 146 pages of contributions since the crash, compared to someone else’s 679, I have a lot of catch-up to play

To be fair you’re posting from 5 years ago.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have met a couple from here – oddly enough years apart bit both at the same point – just realised this- Top of San Marino

One was the guys who did the Ben Nevis video on the Bank Holiday one was GavinB iirc.

IdleJon

You bump into folks on the SDW occasionally who fit the STW stereotype,

I’ve met quite a few off here, and ride with plenty who post here and one thing I’ve noticed is that none of them fit the stereotype.

(I was on my local trails one day, chatting to a stranger, as you do, when STW came up. He posted on here, he said. I asked “Are you Pigface?” He looked wounded. 🙂 )

wwaswas

He looked wounded

🙂

A number of people I ride with locally know/probably know who I post as on here. We don’t talk about it though. [edit] possibly because no one knows how to pronounce my username

chakaping
    Free Member

Lol at wasnotwas

perchypanther
    Free Member

Lol at wasnotwas

scotroutes

And know I’ve told the tale previously but I did ask someone in a cafe “are you peterfile off STW?”

(it was)

matt_outandabout

We need a secret sign.

Other forums I frequent do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I struggle with names enough in real life let alone on here!

A fairly regular occurrence for me is being told “Hi, I’m …… we met on ………….ride that you organised at ……..”, to be met by a completely blank face from me.

Even more confusing when people refer to me a Spoon or Tinas and I’m not with STW’ers.

We need a secret sign.

“Do you?”
    “Do you, what?”
    “Do you STW?”

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, don’t worry – you’ll overtake me by this time next week if you keep going at the current rate.

njee20
    Free Member

I once saw someone wearing a STW t-shirt, I engaged them in a very confusing conversation where it became clear they had no idea there was a website, and I’m not totally sure they were even aware of a magazine, and had merely procured the t-shirt at an event.

I felt slightly silly.

jekkyl

upon checking my strava after my last weekend’s ride it was apparent that I and another stw member parked at the same carpark at the bottom of cumberland clough, before setting off for a ride in the area. He said he set off at dawn and I got there just after so we were within about 30 mins of each other.
    I once saw a bloke getting ready to ride in the carpark of Whinlatter who was wearing a stw Tshirt. I didn’t say hi.
    I’ve also met at least 4 people in the real life after ‘meeting up’ as it were on here. They weren’t axe murderers and none of the them drove an Audi or had an Orange 5. They were/are all very nice though 😀

SaxonRider

Can I propose we all do this? I’m going to zip-tie one to my bike. And maybe put one on the boot-lid of my car. And wear one around my neck.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can I propose we all do this? I’m going to zip-tie one to my bike. And maybe put one on the boot-lid of my….

…DeLorean

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m easy to spot in real life. I only ever wear this….

granny_ring

Made me laugh anyway.

wrecker
    Free Member

He, I heard a tall bloke at the bristol bike jumble a good while ago talking loudly to his mate about how he sorts the forum (STW) out and warns people. There was mention of Fred!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever think you might be seeing someone from STW?’ is closed to new replies.