Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Do you do it alone?
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Between xmas and new years eve im planning on driving the 5 hours to wales and riding at a couple of places i havnt been before. none of My friends are interested in riding for more then a couple of hours so its pointless asking any of them to go.

Earlier this year i had to drop some one in cardiff on a friday and drive them home again on sunday (work related)so i had 2 days to ride at Afan and Cwmcarn. I was on my own and i loved it,no pressure to do anything, ride at my own pace and do what i want, the only thing that concerned me was what happens if i have a bad crash.

Do many of you do this sort of thing, bugger off somewhere miles away, on your own and spend a night or 2 away?, if i know a few more of you do it then ill feel better about doing it myself, at present i feel like i really should take a mate.

lucien

Yep

piemonster

Only when the girlfriends out….no wait, wrong subject

maccruiskeen

I only ride alone or with my GF, and typically off road is pretty much always alone. The idea of company on a bike ride actually upsets me, even though I have plenty of friends who ride. More than happy to stop and chat with people I meet on a ride, but ride with them…. No way.

Basil

Oh yes, infact now get quite shirty when cycling with ride mates who don’t wanna do it my way

Garry_Lager

Would if I could, but I caaaant – the missus and kids would track me down and wreak vengeance (ride on my own mostly from home though).

I’d recommend enjoying the freedom to do exactly what you’re describing, sounds great.

piemonster

In answer to the actual question

Hell Yeah, I actually need time alone. Be it ‘The Tarf Hotel’ or a cheeky bivi on Beinn Na Lap, or just a day out somewhere. It’s good to be out on yer tod sometimes.

Ahhhhh, good memories of Fisherfield and fine Whisky in Fisherfield on a balmy summer evening are all flooding back. Bloody hell, it was warmer up there than I am in my lounge right now.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yes! I used to do it all the time. The further away, more remote, and tougher the better.

Have a great trip.

SB

sharkattack

I started this thread ages ago due to my acquiring a camper van and having no riding mates;

solo riding roadtrip

I was surprised by the amount willing to go to the back of beyond without any company. I’m planning to head to Wales on my own next year which is all new to me. I want to start at the Forest of Dean then into Wales and work my way north for 4 or 5 days. I’ve got a stealth van so I can sleep anywhere and I can live on tins of Stag chilli and collect my thoughts.

Duane…
    Free Member

I’d much rather ride with people. Much more fun IMO.

Although sometimes it is nice to get out and do some solo XC, ride at your own pace, push yourself etc.

Not a fan of riding wilderness stuff on my own, rather trail centres (cue back in the day comments)..

senorj

I used to do it regularly.(Have recently joined singletrackdadworld!)
    Great fun.plus the only person I Pss off with my faffing is me!

Have a good time.

DezB
    Free Member

I used to…
    Hmm, thinking about what to do on Boxing Day myself. If everyone is busy, might make the trip meself, sounds like a good idea 🙂

backtothetop
    Free Member

piemonster, i am one of those people that has seen a large black cat locally,so i dont need tabloid stories to scare me lol.

All sounds good so far, still undecided on whether to sleep in the back of the van or find a cheap b&b, i will see what the weather is like nearer the time.

Ill save the bivvy for the summer:D

backtothetop
    Free Member

Sharkattack- i need a stealth van like u mention, i currently drive a BRIGHT YELLOW skoda felicia fun pickup with a hardtop back on it, this is where i am considering sleeping.

druidh
    Free Member

Frequently. Solo time is great for getting your mind sorted out. It’s also very relaxing not having to “negotiate” your plans with someone e.g.. when you’re touring you can go at a pace you are comfy with, have stops whenever you want (or not at all) and decide whether you’ve done enough for the day or you’re feeling great and you want to crack on.

cinnamon_girl

Do you want to look back on your life and regret what you didn’t do?Life’s too short so go for it!

I’ve been away for a week’s riding holiday on my own so if I can manage it then anyone can. 🙂

piemonster

i currently drive a BRIGHT YELLOW skoda felicia fun pickup with a hardtop back on it, this is where i am considering sleeping.

It’s probably a different proposition down that way, but often in the Highlands I’ll just kip in the car. Passenger seat folded flat with a blanket on the seat for a bit of extra comfort, no worse than a tent that’s for sure.

Just a quick note, there are some bothies in Wales

coffeeking
    Free Member

Best riding is done alone. I’m not worried about crashing, bad things happen and sometimes end really badly, but the likelihood is very low and the consequences relatively limited. I’ll take that risk.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rode solo a lot on my return to riding as none of my mates were into it! Had a reasonable “off” (pretty pink and green stars, and stitches later on) one day and it did make me think about the dangers of being solo, was half an hr or so until I came across someone, who looked a little bit shocked due to my face! The wife has put her foot down regarding night riding tho so there’s always at least two of us out.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Always ride solo………

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes I do a certain amount of solo riding tho less now since we formed a club of sorts. I also travel with my bike solo if i fancy. In August I went to Scotland rode Lagan Nevis Kiaran Cairngorm all on my own. It’s an adventure so you have to carefully assess risks and try not to stick your neck out too far – heck that’s what it’s all about. You just have to ride within your ability so there is a margin for screw ups. I wear pads to shrug off knocks, use a map, keep a mobile handy and check in with a mate or family after each day.

I also find learning easier when I’m not being observed. And solo is ideal for finding where that mystery trail goes and if it’s any good.

Tom83

90% of my riding is alone, i do enjoy company, but find that my mates don’t like to be out on the bikes as long as I do.

somafunk

I much prefer riding on my own, in fact i’d go as far to say i actively avoid riding with others if i can help it which isn’t hard as theres only one of my mates who rides and he stays 40 odd miles away, I’m not anti-social in that sense but i’m always busy with work (bike shop work or chocolatier work or farm work) and rarely get any time to myself so i prefer riding on my own, always have done and always will do to the point of saying “no” to a ride wi others as i’d much rather head out on my own, at my pace, go where i want, stop and sit where i want etc..etc..

As for the worry of crashing?, that thought doesn’t enter my head at all if i’m honest, i can head out into the Galloway Hills for all day rides in the summer and never see another soul the entire day, one of the benefits of staying in the most sparsely populated areas of the country is getting the hills to yourself and perhaps this is one of the attractions for me, if anything happens then it’s up to me to get myself out of it whether that be broken bones or knocking myself out, both have happened before in the middle of nowhere and no doubt both will happen again at somepoint but why worry about something that “may” happen?, if it does i’ll deal with the situation otherwise “crack on”, i’ve spent days and days out in the hills wi just a bivvy bag or my lightweight tent and stove, if it can’t fit in my bar bag then i don’t carry it.
    Same goes for night riding, i always ride my own for the same reasons above, whether i head round kirroughtree red/black or into the hills or along the coastal cliff path it’s riding that i want to do rather than pander to the needs and wants of others and to be honest i can’t be doing wi twittering and pointless nattering when i ‘m out riding the bike.

crazy-legs

I do most of my riding on my own as well, I’ve had a week travelling round Scotland riding, some of it staying over with mates, some of it wild camping. I’ve slept in my car (estate with the seats folded flat) a couple of times but I try and avoid that cos it gets bloody cold! Nice to get away.

You need a particular mindset, it can be quite difficult getting to the point when you’re happy with no company but I had a great week. Crashed once at Laggan (ironically becasue I was so busy trying to read the marker post saying “slow down, trail of certain death ahead” that I wasn’t looking at the trail…) but it wasn’t serious enough to cause any major injury.

Other than that, I had a great time. Stunning weather as well.

db

Mainly ride solo. Often drive to Coed-y-Brenin (midlands based) in the evening kip in the car and then get up at first light to ride the trail. Love it. However I once crashed and bounced off the trail and down a wee hill. Now carry the all important whistle!

fenred
    Free Member

On my Jonah Xmas day this year as I don’t have my kids ’till Boxing Day this year….Can’t blimmin wait to see empty local trails whilst everyone else goes about their ‘business’ biggest stress will be which bike to ride…Lurvely! 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, but tend to do more nights up in the mountains in a tent, rather than riding..

But as for riding? 90% is solo.

molgrips
    Free Member

All the time. Most of my riding is done solo.

I don’t worry about crashing – I take it pretty easy and don’t do anything remotely dangerous. However I do take precautions as you would for anything out in the hills – leave a route card in the car and with a loved one, take a couple of spare items of clothing, some food, that kind of thing.

jonba
    Free Member

Get frustrated with riding with clubs sometimes so head off on my own. Some of my longer and faster stuff I’m limited who can and wants to keep up which is another reason.

A fair bit of trail centre stuff and the occasional wilderness ride.

Just come back from my second solo night ride.

There’s no banter and social side but equally there is no faff and you can ride how you want.

Hitting a technical section on your own with no one to help if you come a cropper gives a good level of focus- quite meditative

crazy-legs

When I lived in Lancaster and did shift work, on my off days in summer I’d sometimes get up at 4am, drive up to Ambleside and be out on the trails by 5am. Do a 3hr ride and be having breakfast at the cafe by the time the first walkers were thinking of heading out.

Lovely and peaceful.

jekkyl

I took myself up the lakes in June by myself, camped at Castlerigg farm. Opened the tent flaps in the morning to the glorious sight of Skiddaw in the morning sun, after breakfast hopped on my bike & cycled up it, well pushed up & rode back down. I’ve always enjoyed my own company, some people are just like that I guess. I hope to go up again next year to do helvellyn.

spandex_bob

Solo is ace; you pick the route, speed, brew/snooze stops etc., and choose the level of risk you’re happy with. There can be a false sense of security when out with mates; realistically they can’t carry you across miles of rough ground or patch up really major injuries, so the number of scenarios where you can’t help yourself and they can is limited. The self-reliance bit is half the appeal; sorting all the kit, knowing how much fuel, food, daylight, height and distance you have left and managing the whole process, especially over a multiday trip is pretty absorbing. Take a phone, leave an itinery with someone who won’t panic, check in on your return, and work up to big trips from short beginnings.

Oh, and anyone you happen to bump into on the hill is fair game to talk to/at if you’ve been on your tod just a bit too long 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I don’t tell anyone where I go, don’t take risks and am fairly sensible.

Once had a nasty fall on wet chalk, checked bike over and got back on, trying to ignore pain. Found out five days later I broke my collarbone.

Last year I went for a road ride from home, ended up in an ambulance going to A & E although I’ve no memory.

We only come this way once. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Over the past three years I’ve gone from loads of club riding to most self enforced solo riding. When I used to ride MTB it was with one other person at most – TBH I love the ability to choose and vary my pace, the times I stop or push on. Eat, don’t eat. Ride, don’t ride.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I’d welcome the banter of a group road ride or a fast chaingang.

In fact, now I’ve got the medical OK, I’m giving myself a year to get back to chaingang fitness, so I figure I’ve 12 months left of riding to my own schedule!

Go for it OP..!

druidh
    Free Member

Hah! – there’s that too. Travelling solo means you’re more likely to talk to people you meet along the way and in cafes/pubs etc. Hearing other folks stories is interesting and gives you a different perspective on life.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Just a quick note, there are some bothies in Wales

yep, and big cats 😉

go for it, tis self indulgent but in a good way !!

DarrenH

Yep, almost all the time.
    My rides tend to be “drop of the hat” nowt on?, then I’m off out! kind of rides at the moment.
    Still, I’ll take what I can get! 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Do you do it alone?’ is closed to new replies.