Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • Do you commute to work by bike?
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

Trackstanding? What’s the point? It’s much more relaxing to just put a foot down 😀

kimbers

10 miles each way i do it 5 days a week, unless i have a race at the weekend or something when i take friday off

its mostly on road from brentford to central london takes about 50mins, traffics a butch if im not in a rush i can go via the parks which is nice

waaay quicker than driving and tube (as i have to get a bus too)

no showers at my new work so shower b i leave and then wet wipes in the disabled loo upon arrival
    keep trousers + shoes in work fresh undies and tshirt take in every day

ride a rigid steel kona with marathon plus slicks (puncture proof!)

decent waterporoof and army surplus goretex trousers for days liek today, some 3/4 shorts for winter, 5 pairs of padded undies etc

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I’;m 10 miles each way, takes me about 35 mins in the morning (mainly downhill!) and about 45 in the evening on a road bike!

weirdnumber
    Free Member

9.5 miles each way (Stockport to Manchester avoiding the A6) can take 40-50 minutes depending on if I’m daydreaming or not. Nice hill to finish on the way home and only a brief spell on oxford road battling buses.

stabilizers

23 miles on the way in and 33 on the way home. 3.5 – 4hours in the saddle. Its a quality road ride but it does mean a 5:30am rise so I can get home in time to do the family stuff. Try to do it twice a week maybe 3. Good facilities and free food at work help a lot.

Kunstler

My work is in different places in and around Edinburgh each day and I go everywhere by bike. I have a sense of time and scale of the city that gets stretched and feels compromised on the rare occasions that I have use a bus or walk. Journeys range from a couple of miles to about twenty five. Sometimes it’s train out and ride back. Most of the riding is pretty pleasant, not so along Portobello prom this afternoon but I’ll take all weathers.

ricardo666
    Free Member

3 miles – through the local park, roundabout, then bike lane into uni-land

About 10- 15 minutes depending on taxi, wvm, school run and the weather

stabilizers

I should add….much respect to those who commute around Londonshire. Been working down here for the week and I don’t know how you guys get the inspiration (poor wording but…)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

About 36 miles a day. I only manage about 3 times a week at present. Any more and i’m shagged out. The Jury is out whether its my fitness, diabetes, age, or all of these that are limiting me. But I enjoy it, really gets the shit out of my system, both mentally and physically.

brakes
    Free Member

I got hit by a van’s wing mirror this evening… despite being in the primary position. maybe he didn’t like my trackstands.
    no damage done. f***er didn’t even stop.

nicko74

3.5 miles on a fixie. 10-15 minutes in the morning (lots of red traffic lights), more like 20 at night as it’s uphill and into the wind.

Benefit is that I don’t need a shower in the morning, as it’s slow and downhill 🙂

TiRed

10 miles each way on average, more today to make up the average, despite the rain. Always fixed.

And the point of trackstands? When you ride fixed with road cleats, clipping in is not as easy as coasting on double sided spds 🙄 . I’m good, but still miss first time about 10%, and in traffic that matters. I’m not that good at trackstands either!

PMK2060

10 miles each way on the road and 9 miles each way if i go offroad (trans pennine trail). Usually takes me 35-40 minutes depending on the wind direction and speed.

Usually commute 3-4 days a week.

pegasus
    Free Member

about 3.5 miles each way, although sometimes ‘take the long way home’ cos I’m a Supertramp fan. Llanddewi-Brefi to Tregaron….

will
    Free Member

10 miles in the morning. 30 miles on the way home. 5 days a week. Some days I do it the other way around though. Got to say don’t think I’ll ever be able to drive or get public transport to work again!

ourmaninthenorth

Used to 17 miles each way pretty much 5 days a week. Tiring sometimes, but loved it.

These days my shortest route is 26 miles each way and I’m massively unfit. So I’ve yet to do it more than once a week.

7 from sale would be easily doable daily. Ride steadily, and you don’t need to be Lycra clad to do it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Currently work 2.5 miles from home and commute every day – don’t really have a choice as i don’t own a car!
    This means i do more than the basic 5 miles a day fairly often as i do my shopping etc by bike as well. Do try to get out for an evening ride when weather and life permits but not as fit as i was this time last year 🙁

julianwilson
    Free Member

4 miles/6.5k, but 163m climbing (including one 1:10 1km climb and a few fast flattish stretches) each way. So 30 minutes in (uphill) and half that (downhill) on the way home! 😆

timidwheeler

2 miles to the train station. It takes longer to get the bike out of the house than it does to ride.

Pieface

About 4 miles (never measured it) about 15 – 20 minutes (never properly timed it).

Best thing about bike commuting is you can go where you like, you don’t need to worry about the constraints of the odd one way systems

hilldodger
    Free Member

Off road 7 miles in about 30 mins, road route 9 in about 25 mins – that’s using the “let’s just get there” routes.

Don’t own a car so it’s every day rain or shine for me, wouldn’t have it any other way to be honest 🙂

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

There’s been a good amount of input on this thread today! Thanks for everyone’s advice and for showing that lots of people on STW do actually ride their bikes and aren’t just keyboard warriors that drive everywhere and can’t trackstand!

samuri
    Free Member

16 miles each way for me, mostly offroad. Fantastic commute. I love it! In summer the ride home gets longer and longer each day, up to 30 miles coming back with plenty of hills and gnarly singletrack, awesome!

trashcanman
    Free Member

14 miles each way, around 45 mins … bit too far to do every day, not the distance itself thats the problem but the 12 hour shift between journeys!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Binners- Yep, that’s the route! Riding in Manc was the best education for road riding I’ve ever had, it was complete mayhem from start to finish. The buses aren’t as bad as the taxi drivers to be honest, Rusholme was a law unto itself, and the back streets in Didsbury weren’t much better. The amount of Range Rovers purposely aiming for you was fun.

I was once spat at by a roadie coming the other way one morning, on a long quiet back lane. He saw me riding towards him from about 300 yards away too, the swine.

To be fair, I attribute all the bother I had being down to the fact that I’m not an attractive young lady, riding a shopper, with a flouncy skirt, headphones in, and running red lights without a care in the world. They never have any bother.

trail_rat
    Free Member

GG its funny how the drivers change depending on the area your in .

i ride through aberdeens west end – where the drivers seem to be well educated on the whole in their fancy cars – think aston martins , rangies and q7s give you loads of room and slow down to let you through the traffic islands instead of cutting you up

then i turn into the wannabee west enders in mannofield and just about get run off the road by a3s and skodas , then through mastrick and sheddocksley where you get the odd bit of abuse off a ned walking but very little in the way of car trouble.

then i get to dyce and its everyman for him self – stay off the road or you will die !

opened my pannier today to find a pair of shirts in leiu of my workshirt….. glad i wore a fresh merino today instead of the stinky pete one i wore all last week and monday tuesday 😀

hora
    Free Member

The traffic down the main road is horrendous at rush hour

I seriously advise that you cut across/down the backway as soon as possible. The road up/down really tightens as you pass Joseph Gleaves tools to past Man U. I reckon turn down Barton Road (veers left from Chester road) and head straight through Trafford Park?

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Yes. Sale Moor to Sale takes about 5 minutes. On the way home, I can mix it up a bit, taking in Carrington, TPT, canal, Sale & Chorlton Water Parks Etc. Couldn’t tell you the mileage but might do an hour on a dry day. Might even throw in a few laps of the Sale pump track if I’m on the DMR…

Cougar

I cycled to work today. First time I’ve tried. Shocking behaviour from all the traffic; everyone was really patient and gave me plenty of room.

Took me 45 minutes to do 10km (6 + 1/3 miles), because I’m an unfit mincer with MTB tyres I was getting used to the traffic and taking it easy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mrs T-R also rode to work today for the first time from the new house – its 12 miles – 45minutes by bike – 55minutes in her car yesterday.

savings in fuel alone will pay for a decent commuter for her in no time – she was on her omega road bike today with a huge bag and no mudguards in the rain – not to mention that replacing the ultegra on that will outstrip the cost savings of riding in !

also converted a colleague at Xmas with a gift of a thorn Raven SS for him to ride to work on from town – he has been doing it regular and has just bought a giant bowery off the classifieds on here so he can get guards on and a rack on easier – thorn and their stupid propriatory designs making it a mare to fit one.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Southwark Bridge 08:30. BANG. Blown rear valve. Burst tyre sidewall. Rain. Hoik bike to “On Your Bike” a mile away. More rain. Diversion at the Shard. More hoik and rain. 54 quid parts and labour. At work hour and a half late. Nightmare.

So. Mmmmmm. doughnuts…

Lifer
    Free Member

8.5 miles in 30mins.

Trouble is I have a 2 people who drive past my road so if the weather is nasty, or looks like having the possibility to be potentially nasty, I grab a lift.

That and when I commute in I have to have 2 lunches which can get expensive.

Nice country roads which are more direct than the dual carriageway I see a few cyclists on everyday, they must be mental!

njee20
    Free Member

Southwark Bridge 08:30. BANG. Blown rear valve. Burst tyre sidewall. Rain. Hoik bike to “On Your Bike” a mile away.

I’m gonna jinx it now, but I’m still waiting for my first London puncture and having to go through that rigmarole!

I’ve wimped out this week and not ridden at all. I feel dirty. But I’ve had several 9 am meetings, and I really CBA to ride 45 miles in this and get in for 9! I’ll ride tomorrow, but not in London, so it’s only 10 miles each way!

D0NK

54 quid parts and labour

for a puncture?

Alright ruined tube and tyre but still. Are these some bespoke brompton pneumatic contrivances handmade on the thighs of pale middlesexian maidens?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Traffic!! I quite often don’t see another driver for the first 13.5 miles of my 14.5 mile commute 😯

Fair bit of wildlife (deer, foxes, badgers, buzzards etc) though.

darkcove

Same here but it’s not because I live in some rural utopia or have a nice offroad commute but because it’s likely to be 4am after a very early alarm or 2am after a very late finish. I had a mid shift the other day and finished work with the corporate slaves. Not had to battle through traffic for a long time. I’d forgoten what a rush it can be! Though I’m glad I don’t have to do it every day.

It generally takes 30-40mins to do the flat 10 miles to work. If it’s early or late then it’s nearer 30 as traffic lights are just pretty coloured lights when there’s nowt else on the road.

Nick

20.5 miles each way for me, according to endomondo I did the 41 miles in 2hrs 52 mins on Tuesday on my Pompino.

Will ride in again tomorrow, about twice a week is all I can manage and still enjoy riding, although might try to get three in as I get fitter, that said every year I plan to ride in every day for a week but in seven years I’ve never done it.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of commuting from in London, but it’s 26k door to door. Alternatively I could ride from Waterloo which is only 6m to Canary Wharf.

However would I look like a plonker on an FS?

Do I need to buy another bike?

Ideally something overpriced and suitable for someone competing in world class cycling events.

wbss
    Free Member

i ride 25 miles each way.

normal time is about 1.30 for a steady ride.
    record pace is something like 1.10 with a bag/pannier on my road bike.

a good week is 4 days riding: 200 miles.

Bregante

However would I look like a plonker on an FS?

possibly but even if you don’t, you’ll be wearing out the components on your FS

Do I need to buy another bike?

Does this really need to be answered? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Do you commute to work by bike?’ is closed to new replies.