Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Do you carry a Photo Id?
  • soundninjauk

I keep my drivers license with me, needed it the time I was stopped by bicycle based police for an offensive type moment.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Don’t drive so no new style photo license, certainly don’t carry passport around with me, work ID is photo but all the details are electronic so just my face on a plain white card.
    So no, couldn’t easily prove I was me if I had to

IHN

on the subject of ID, a Bill Bryson story that I like:

A year or so ago, as a way of dealing with the increased threat of terrorism, America’s airlines began requiring passengers to present photographic identification when checking in for a flight. The first I heard of this was when I showed up to catch a plane at an airport 120 miles from my home.

“I need to see some picture ID,” said the clerk, who had the charm and boundless motivation you would expect to find in someone whose primary employment perk is a nylon tie.

“Really? I don’t think I have any,” I said and began patting my pockets, as if that would make a difference, and then pulling cards from my wallet. I had all kinds of identification-library card, credit cards, social security card, health insurance card, airline ticket-all with my name on them, but nothing with a picture.

Finally, at the back of the wallet I found an old Iowa driver’s license that I had forgotten I even had.

“This is expired,” he sniffed.

“Then I won’t ask to drive the plane,” I replied.

“Anyway, it’s fifteen years old. I need something more up to date.”

I sighed and rooted through my belongings. Finally it occurred to me that I was carrying one of my books with my picture on the jacket. I handed it to him proudly and with some relief.

He looked at the book and then hard at me and then at a printed list. “That’s not on our list of Permissible Visual Cognitive Imagings,” he said, or something similarly vacuous.

“I’m sure it isn’t, but it’s still me. It couldn’t be more me.”

I lowered my voice and leaned closer to him.

“Are you seriously suggesting that I had this book specially printed so I could sneak on to a flight to Buffalo?”

legend
    Free Member

Without photo id I wouldn’t be able to buy WD-40.

Legend (aged 31)

CountZero

Some of us are so old we don’t have photos on our driving licenses

Ha! I was born in 1954, and I’ve got one! My old paper license needed updating, had torn in two, and the option to take advantage of the initial introduction of photo licences seemed to be all advantage, no disadvantage.
    Having been asked for ID to buy alcohol in the US, in my thirties (!), and being faced with a bemused check-out girl who couldn’t grasp how a driving license without a photo was of any use for ID, and having been asked for ID in building societies and banks at various times, it was a no-brainer.
    The fact that it’s a nice, credit card sized bit of plastic that sits inside my Jimi wallet, along with my debit card, Oyster card, building society card and work security door pass just makes like so much easier, on the odd occasion that someone asks for ID or address details, I can just flip my wallet open and there’s the info they require.
    I’m not obliged to carry it, but so far I’ve never found a single disadvantage to carrying it with me, and I can’t quite understand why anybody would.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Do you carry a Photo Id?’ is closed to new replies.