Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Do you carry a Photo Id?
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

A mate of mine said that it was a bad idea to carry a photo id. He said the police would be less likely to pursue an offence if you had no id.

I reckon that’s rubbish.

What do you reckon?

bencooper
    Free Member

What kind of offence are you thinking of committing?

TooTall
    Free Member

Don’t offend. ’tis easy.

“Oy! We just saw you kill a bloke with your bare hands. Show us some photo ID!”

“Not got none”

“Oh. OK, sonny. On yer way.”

😐

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah a mate who said that he knew someone who……

I carry photo ID as I legally have to when driving here and it’s in my wallet. Mostly if it’s serious the police will take you somewhere to prove who you are.

I’m guessing if they get you for the Nat West job you might be done for with or without id

Drac

Yes I do, you’re mate is a fool.

tarquin
    Free Member

Carry my Australian driving license as its the law!

IHN

No I don’t, your mate is a fool.

cupra
    Free Member

Yes I do.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

No, but I keep being asked for one in more and more hotels in London, maybe I just look shift!

It will be made compulsory at some point, just a matter of time. Prob as part of your driving license.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I carry my driving licence. If I get taken to hospital unconscious I’d quite like the doctors to know who I am.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

for example a minor motoring offence

jon1973
    Free Member

I carry my photo driving licence, just because it comes in handy every so often, so it may as well be in my wallet.

The police have never asked for me to prove who I am. Seems a bit odd that someone wouldn’t carry it for that reason.

bencooper
    Free Member

for example a minor motoring offence

If you can prove who you are, the police will take a note of your details and let you go. If you can’t, you’ll be accompanied to a police station until they can determine your identity.

Though photo ID isn’t required in my experience, just sufficient proof that you are who you say you are.

chvck
    Free Member

I carry my driving license, it comes in useful pretty often. Also, despite being 26 I get ID’d quite a lot for booze…

bencooper
    Free Member

Some of us are so old we don’t have photos on our driving licenses 😉

fasthaggis

I sometimes do ,your mate is a fool( now and again )

jon1973
    Free Member

Some of us are so old we don’t have photos on our driving licenses

I never used to, but I think as soon as you change address they swap it for a new one.

IHN

It will be made compulsory at some point, just a matter of time.

I think they tried that, I think it caused a bit of a furore…

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh it probably causes me more inconvienance not to carry id that it is just to carry the damned card

i get round the issue of being asked to produce it during an offence by not commiting and offence….

br
    Free Member

If you can prove who you are, the police will take a note of your details and let you go. If you can’t, you’ll be accompanied to a police station until they can determine your identity.

Incorrect, unless its a serious offence – have you never watched the various Cop shows?

As long as the vehicle is in your name which they can check, you’ll be fine.

perthmtb
    Free Member

For most of my adult life I lived in Hong Kong where you had to carry an ID card – and I had no problem with it.

The way I looked at it if you’re not doing anything wrong, why wouldn’t you carry ID?

I think you’ll find the government has basically implemented ID cards in the UK by stealth, with the change to the photo-card driving licences – its an ID card in everything but name 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

The way I looked at it if you’re not doing anything wrong, why wouldn’t you carry ID?

If you’re not doing anything wrong, then why should you be obliged to do anything?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

OP – the main justification for not carrying photo ID is just so you can get away with an offence (minor or otherwise)…Interesting set of sensibilites there mate!

footflaps

I’ve never once been asked for Photo ID whilst committing armed robbery, so I stopped carrying it.

Drac

Some of us are so old we don’t have photos on our driving licenses

Me too but ermmm! Committed an offensive and had to have it renewed.

Incorrect, unless its a serious offence – have you never watched the various Cop shows?

I got stopped years ago 2 days after buying a car, the car was registered to the garage still, they asked if I had any ID or they’d need to take me until I provided some. Luckily after a few seconds they recognised me from work. 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

Yes, do, because in my jurisdiction I’m required to carry my driving license when I drive, and because my profession requires photo ID for some of its functions.

The problem is that a) it places a requirement on people to do something when that requirement achieves sod all and b) the right of a police officer to check whether someone has ID allows the police/state to interfere with people without them having a reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed. In other words ifI’m not doing anything wrong, piss off.

DrJ

I’ll just set up this video camera in your bedroom then. You’re not doing anything wrong, so no bother, eh?

tinybits
    Free Member

I carry a mirror. If challenged I can look into it and say yep, that’s me.

footflaps

The problem is that a) it places a requirement on people to do something when that requirement achieves sod all and b) the right of a police officer to check whether someone has ID allows the police/state to interfere with people without them having a reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed. In other words ifI’m not doing anything wrong, piss off.

You forgot c) it criminalises people who have caused no harm or loss to anyone (eg forget your ID nipping to the shop for milk, you’re now a criminal).

perthmtb
    Free Member

If you’re not doing anything wrong, then why should you be obliged to do anything?

Not trying to trample your rights here, just giving my experiences of living in a country that required people to carry ID. I found there was no downside to it, and occasional upsides – that being on the few occasions when I needed to prove who I was, it was achieved simply, quickly, and without any embarrassment, and I was on my way again.

There is another argument for carring ID of course, and that is that the law abiding majority has their ‘rights’ marginally infringed by having to carry identification, in order that the police and other officials we employ to enforce our rules and keep us safe can do their job more effectively. We make these compromises of personal freedom in the general interests of society more readily in other aspects of life – having number plates on our cars for example, but carrying personal ID seems to generate much more emotion!

gonefishin
    Free Member

that being on the few occasions when I needed to prove who I was, it was achieved simply, quickly, and without any embarrassment, and I was on my way again.

Unless I’m actually a suspected of something, why would I need to prove who I am? Additionally why would anyone assume that I am not who I say I am?

M6TTF
    Free Member

this thread remind me – my license ran out 2 years ago, need to get it updated !

konabunny
    Free Member

I found there was no downside to it

There’s already a massive and not particularly subtle inequality in the use of existing police powers between different groups (in Australia and the UK). If you changed the law so that anyone could be approached and interfered with for an ID check without any reason, that injustice would only increase.

If it were so convenient and downside-free, everyone would be doing it already. Why get the armed wing of the state involved in something the market can fix?

hjghg5
    Free Member

My driving licence is in my wallet mainly because I’m less likely to lose it there than if I put it in a safe place. I usually carry my wallet. Sometimes I don’t (when I’m running, on short bike rides). Sometimes I’ll carry a bit of cash and pick up my driving licence while I’m at it. Sometimes I won’t.

My intention to commit a criminal offence has nothing to do with this decision, it tends to be about carrying something that will allow me to be identified in the event of an emergency.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Hmm. All I can think of now, is the words “fascist police state”
    The thought of being arrested for forgeting a little plastic card with my photo on fills me with joy.

kilo

b r – Member

Police can arrest for any offence, under s24 PACE, if the necesity tests is met and one of the reasons necesary for arrest is to establish the identity of the person commiting the offence;

for believing that their arrest is necessary and which the officer considers
    satisfy one or more of the statutory criteria in sub-paragraphs (a) to (f),
    namely:
    (a) to enable the name of the person in question to be ascertained (in the
    case where the constable does not know, and cannot readily ascertain,
    the person’s name, or has reasonable grounds for doubting whether a
    name given by the person as his name is his real name

So the OP’s mate is wrong and also fails to recognise that a constable may be satisfied by proof of i.d without a photo on it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My intention to commit a criminal offence has nothing to do with this decision, it tends to be about carrying something that will allow me to be identified in the event of an emergency.

however, whether I carry my own id or my fake TJ id depends on the offense I intend causing

DrJ

Why get the armed wing of the state involved in something the market can fix?

Ouch!! Libertard alert !! 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I have various passes and permit to work etc that have photos on but I don’t make an effort to carry photo ID. Stupidly some of my clients that require photos for their passes make me take my glasses off for the photo. I then spend the next 20 minutes making their lives as miserable as possible by looking the wrong way, asking help with moving, asking why they need me take my glasses off as there’s only 2 people ago ever see me without them on (my optician and my partner).

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t have any photo ID, so don’t carry it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Do you carry a Photo Id?’ is closed to new replies.