Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do you?
  • vermillion
    Free Member

Ever feel like you have been dealt a shit hand?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No.

EDIT : Thanks for making me remind myself about that btw.

bencooper
    Free Member

Occasionally. Then I read something about what’s happenng in Syria or something, and I realise how astoundingly lucky I am.

tomhoward

On a global scale, no. In my immediate world, yeah, with occasional highlights.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Oh aye, quite often when it comes to some aspects. But, I could be hiding from lunatics trying to kill me due to not being down with their prophet, or I could be starving to death, or I could be caught in a conflict. So in most ways, I’m bloody lucky.

scotroutes

I think I was dealt a pretty average hand. After that, life is what you make of it.

vermillion
    Free Member

Good answers so far

vermillion
    Free Member

After that, life is what you make of it.

I don’t agree, sometimes your life doesn’t pan out as you would like it to, no matter how much you try

Rubber_Buccaneer

You drink your coffee and I sip my tea

Will you just politely say goodnight?

Northwind

I’ve got some crap genetics, not delighted about that but other than that, no, had a pretty good hand. Not a royal flush or owt, maybe 2 pairs with a king or something.

Lifer
    Free Member

Did my very best to bust with the great hand I was dealt, picking things up again now though.

chip
    Free Member

Not really, I **** it all up myself.

yunki
    Free Member

Today I’m feeling a wee bit sorry for myself..

I have a very robust manflu and some sort of reaction to aspirin has given me an inflamed stomach and small intestine.. I also have jetlag, rather severe ulcerative colitis and an outbreak of genital herpes..
    I have pretty much zero spare cash for the next few months, my girlfriend is literally on the other side of the world and my two very young children will be here tomorrow to stay for two weeks..

It’s all good though.. I may struggle for a bit but summer’s nearly here 🙂

I used to consider that I’d been dealt a duff hand occasionally.. a few years ago

I had some pretty severe mental health problems when I was younger that led me into some very unhealthy patterns of thinking which in turn caused some very poor decision making and undesirable outcomes in my life.. I spent a lot of time between the ages of 16 to 30 living in squalor with no income and bad drug habits, encountering violence, despair and bitterness on a daily basis..

Once I learnt to focus on other peoples happiness and started to aim towards a less materialistic lifestyle my life got much easier.. Not in some magical way, shit stuff still happens on a regular basis and it’s still a pain, I get setbacks and I’ve lost absolutely everything at least half a dozen times in my life but I’ve got the bigger picture in perspective

I have very little but I’m definitely a half cup full type of person, these days I consider myself blessed 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

My hand is fine but I think I play a different game to everybody else.

snap possibly.

Sandwich

I can only play the hand I’m dealt. I’m good for 2 no trumps, on a good day.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Birthplace, family and political climate? No.

Physical health? Sometimes.

Mental health/outlook? Sometimes but mostly no.

null

Everything else is up to me rather than luck or a combination of luck and my informed input.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Messed up the link, but my thoughts on outlook/mental attitude/health echo back and forth over the years between these two poems:

This Be The Verse

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were **** up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don’t have any kids yourself.

Or

This Be The Converse

They tuck you up, your Mum and Dad,
    They read you Peter Rabbit, too.
    They give you all the treats they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

They were tucked up when they were small,
    (Pink perfume, blue tobacco-smoke),
    By those whose kiss healed any fall,
    Whose laughter doubled any joke.

Man hands on happiness to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    So love your parents all you can
    And have some cheerful kids yourself.

lunge

yeah, I’m pretty happy with my lot. But I made some tough decision and did things others wouldn’t to make it that way.

I don’t agree, sometimes your life doesn’t pan out as you would like it to, no matter how much you try

My life isn’t how I envisaged it when I was 18 either but you adapt to those new circumstances and make decisions to make it “better”.

scaredypants

🙁
    was hoping for a bit of chatroulette

_tom_
    Free Member

Nah its ok, I just don’t do myself any favours and manage to mess things up for myself all the time.

shooterman

I used to think I got dealt a bad hand when stuff happened that threw me off course but as I get older I am finding myself more appreciative of the simpler things and happier with my lot.

BigJohn

Only when we’ve run out of bogroll.

MoreCashThanDash

Lunge +1.

Occasionally think I’m having a hard time, then someone comes on here with a real problem and I realise I can be a self centred wimp at times.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Dealt an ok hand… some bits better than others.
    Thirty plus years ago l met and married the right girl. Made up for any shortcomings in my hand.

nuke

I was born in the UK and, in the nationality lottery of life, thats a great hand to be dealt so as much as people bemoan this country sometimes or as much as i may occasional consider myself ‘unlucky’, Im not.

cinnamon_girl

With decent health you can conquer the world therefore nothing is insurmountable.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We come into the world with nothing and we leave it with nothing.

How we respond to what is thrown at us in-between determines our character (and for some what happens next!)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do you?’ is closed to new replies.