Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do wider rims make sidewalls more vulnerable?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Gone from a 23mm internal rim to a 30mm (and 26″ to 650b at the same time).

Since the switch I’ve suffered a high number of sidewall cuts. To the naked eye, the sidewalls done protrude any more than normal, just wondered if I’m unlucky, tyre quality has gone down or if I’ve made a rod for my own back with wider rims.

scotroutes

I’ve been using 80mm rims for 4 years with no problems

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shameless bump for the evening crowd?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

Same width tyres?

TheGingerOne

I would expect the shape of the tyre to be more ‘u-shaped’ than ‘lightbulb-shaped’ with a wider rim which in my simplistic head would make the sidewalls ‘nearer’ rocks and stuff as you ride which would make them more susceptible to being caught.

I await being told I’m wrong… 😉

mattyfez

Not a scientific explanation, and not sure if its any help but..
    Running 27mm rims, 26×2.4 front and 26×2.1 rear.

My rear tyre consistently shows more signs of damage to the side wall. I don’t know if thats my bad riding though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Same 2.4″ tyre. I get the theory of the u shape vs the lightbulb but I’m not sure 1/8″ either side makes that much difference

chiefgrooveguru

Richie Rude EWS bike check:

“The team has been relying on the 25mm internal width EX471 rim from DT Swiss for two years now. A 30mm EX511 has been added at the front with the 2.5″ Maxxis Minion DHR. Shaun says, to be honest, they haven’t spent enough time testing the wider rims and are worried that a 2.3″ tire on a wider rim on the rear can leave the tire sidewall exposed to damage from rocks. More testing is needed before they take it to the race track.”

chestrockwell

Running them at a fashionable pressure below the manufacturers range?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Manufacturer only prints a max on the sidewall. I run them for traction but not silly low. I don’t want to pinch flat or damage my carbon rim.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting that Rude and his team have the same thought as me. Be interesting to see what their testing reveals.

mattyfez

I should probably say I run tubes, low 30psi in front, and at least 35 on hte back, otherwise I get snakebite. But I do ride like a sack of potatoes and weigh 95kg naked.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do wider rims make sidewalls more vulnerable?’ is closed to new replies.