Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Do we have any Patissieres in tonight?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

I just got a new job piping/decorating cakes for a Patisserie. Not an apprenticeship as such, but what a place to learn!

I want to practice at home as much as possible.

What’s the baking-101, “cake bible” I need to help me on my way?

Edukator
    Free Member

Unlikely given the male dominated nature of the forum, there might be a pâtissier though.

seavers
    Free Member

Congrats on the new job.

Not sure about a cake bible but I have a garage that needs rendering if you fancy a crack at that? Just like a big cake innit?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Ugh, pardon my punctuation.

No time for the character map, I got Choux to do.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

seavers I’ll give you a shout when I get my gingerbread skills down.

mmm….drywall.

VanMan
    Free Member

Congrats on the new job. As for help maybe watch reruns of great British bakeoff on iPlayer, or get Mary berry’s book. 🙂

cchris2lou

Watch the Cake Boss. If you filter the reality TV crap, Buddy piping skills are excellent.

nealglover
    Free Member

http://pinterest.com/popperscakepops/piping-techniques/

Some starter points in the form of pictures.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not the accent it’s the “e”

1 male pâtissier, 2 male pâtissiers.

1 female pâtissière, 2 female pâtissières.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Thanks. Every day’s a schoolday. Edukator by name, Edukator by nature.
    Edit: Do you know anything about cake?

Last month I was a Drayman storing kegs. These little cakes are so dainty for every one it’s like the “shakey hand close-up shot” at the end of Great British Bake off.

I don’t get to wear a big hat though. Or keep my moustache.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ll ask Mrs yunki when she gets in later as it’s her field of expertise

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Thanks yunki.

Cake Boss is excellent.

I will be Cake Boss 2.

yunki
    Free Member

No no..
    You could possibly be Cake Boss 3, but don’t get ahead of yourself just yet..
    Cake Boss 2 is out of the question though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could you butter my muffin?

Bunnyhop

Peggy Porschen is a big favourite of mine, so maybe google her.
    my sister in law is a professional cake maker and decorator of celebration cakes. it takes lots of practise.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Pretty excited. Aside from learning every day I can ride my bike around the Pentlands before and after work. Like I used to.

Yeehah.

Cakes & bikes.

Edukator
    Free Member

I know nothing about cakes, the pâtissier in the boulangerie down the road makes our cakes.

seavers
    Free Member

Could you butter my muffin?

I sincerely hope Jamie didn’t read that.

trevron73
    Free Member

I was Chef patisserie for Marco Pierre White for 7 1/2 years before moving to work for Gordon Ramsey at his flagship 3 michelin rest on Hospital road , you need Cordon blue series of books on cake decorating and also online tutorials ,great job ,my old mentor Roger Pizey has 2 books ,1 out a few years ago called small cakes and one out on 23rd september(i’m off to book Launch)called worlds best cakes its worth a pre order .not so much piping and decorating but great tasting cakes so the inside tastes as good as the outside.How many wedding cakes look great but tast crap .Enjoy the new job and welcome to the world of” Old Pastry Queens”

z1ppy

Damn these cake threads… Trevron, that book any good for home messer-arounder? Not interest in decorations, just good cake

off to (try to) make a chocolate nemesis!

PS: cfinnimore good luck with the new job!

trevron73
    Free Member

Both books perfect for home messer around as is Hummingbird cookbook, i taught the wife to bake using the hummingbird book ,Roger Pizey is a great friend and i wish to support his book its 100 cakes from around the world, called “worlds best cakes and published by Jauqui small i belive ? you go go to Roger Pizey .co.uk to find out ? Enjoy baking ?

trevron73
    Free Member

Just been on website Published by Jacqui Small !

z1ppy

Cheers Trevor that sounds good, I thoroughly enjoy baking but am no baker or pâtissier (or wish to be), left cheffing to my brother who then promptly abandoned it as soon as possible 😉
    Found the book on Amazon (discounted nicely!).. wasn’t sure you see the thread was updated, been stalking you across the internet trying to locate an email.

Nemesis is out and cooling..

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Decorating cakes is the best job ever. Fact.

Of course I dropped a tray of cakes. Who wouldn’t.

Thanks everyone for the info, Trevron73 particularly for his wisdom. Worlds Best Cakes will be a fine present indeed.#

I want to practice my chocolate cones at home…

What rolling pin for ? 😈

martinh
    Free Member

I’ll have to look out for the books Trevron73 mentioned my current favourite is Advanced Bread and Pastry by Michel Saus

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Do we have any Patissieres in tonight?’ is closed to new replies.