Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Do we depend on alcohol to much?
  • renton
    Free Member

Being in the military I’ve noticed that a lot of people depend on drinking to have a good night out??

Take last night the lads I’m on a course with went out at two in the afternoon and didn’t get back until five this morning absolutely hammered.

Another person I know used to bring two bottles of wine into work to help him through the day?

I can’t think of nothing worse than getting drunk and wasting loads of money doing it! To wake up the next day feeling crap with nothing to show for the 100 quid you spent the night before?

So my question is.. Do you depend in drink or does your social life revolve around drinking?

If so why?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Another person I know used to bring two bottles of wine into work to help him through the day?

Help him through the day? 😯

I thought I drank too much but that’s mental!

A lot seems to depend on where you work/what you do. I work in the marine industry and there is far too much drinking once away from the “dry” environments. What is considered normal would probably be considered alcoholism by some.

My social life does revolve around drinking, not sure why it just always has. Not particularly proud of it and I am serious considering going teetotal.

marcus7
    Free Member

no and no, I drink very little these days, very rarely get drunk, I can’t face the after effects and don’t enjoy myself any more. it always makes me laugh when I’m with people who are though, they are never as funny as they think!

scotroutes

Do I depend on it? No

Does my social life revolve around it? Harder to say. Fact is, pubs are a great place to meet folk and chat.

Why do some folk seem to rely on it? It’s a drug that gives you a skewed perception of reality, whether that’s short term or long term. For people that find their reality unfulfilling or unrewarding or just downright uncomfortable it gives them the chance to escape it for a while.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I enjoy a drink. From time to time when under stress I’ve noticed I’m drinking too much which is a warning sign to ba k off. Do I depend on it, no.

cynic-al
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Why do some folk seem to rely on it? It’s a drug that gives you a skewed perception of reality, whether that’s short term or long term. For people that find their reality unfulfilling or unrewarding or just downright uncomfortable it gives them the chance to escape it for a while.

Some folk just enjoy it, with neither (IMO) any harm nor for it to be hiding some psychological issue.

Would anyone here admit they drink too much or depend on it?

scotroutes

Absolutely. As you know, I enjoy the occasional beer, cider, whisky or wine, but the OP was asking why some folk depend on it, not whether or not some folk enjoy it. There’s a bit of a difference?

We’ve had a few folk on here pop up and admit to being alcoholics.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Would anyone here admit they drink too much or depend on it?

I drink too much. I would be a lot richer and fitter if I didn’t drink.

I don’t depend on it though.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I used to drink a lot, but stopped when the kids were born – babies and alcohol are not a good combo for many reasons.

And yes, it is depressing how many people seem to rely on it to have fun. There seems to have been a step change since I was younger. We had a drink whilst doing something else which may have led to us getting a bit drunk (usually surrounding some sporting event – hockey & climbing back in the day). It seem that getting ‘hammered’ is the reason for drinking now.

So far my 15 & 16 year old lads have absolutely no interest in alcohol at all. Eldest went to a party with 30 from his 6th form last night – pizza and coke only and he had a great night.

Limit my intake to a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of nice beers, once or twice a week – I can’t cope with the after effects any more.

hora
    Free Member

I only drink after 6pm. Stop at 10. Or when I feel merry. Ive never ‘got’ the all day sessions. It just seems sad/alcoholic.

jekkyl

mmm ice cold Stella!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Do I depend on drink? Nope, never have, never will. I like a bevvy as much as the next man though, but hangovers well keep me in check, I’ll never be an alcoholic because of that!

UK social culture all but revolves around drink though. It’s really just a case of deciding how much you want to be involved in that, for me it’s now and again.

Btw the guy with 2 bottles of wine to help him through the day, he’s just an alcoholic. no two ways about that. That’s not normal.

I’ve always had a certain attitude, since I was a teenager, to drink and drugs, which has been to “suffer the comedown”, that way I’ll never get addicted. 20 years on seems to have worked well.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Ex-army and I no doubt a lot of forces socials revolve around drinking but I don’t think it’s any worse than civvy street, in fact seen a lot worse. If anything it’s an age thing with younger people drinking more than required be it to gain confidence, prove how awesome they aren’t or just plain stupidity.
    Most people grow out of it no doubt helped by the realisation that hangovers take longer to recovery and you no longer have time to spend a morning praying to the porcelain gods.

kcal

hm, difficult one. truth be told I enjoy a drink – many varieties. Would like to think I can limit the intake but it’s probably higher than advisable. Don’t go properly ‘out’ much, but recent week has seen that reversed – and it’s been lovely — variety of company..

Dependent? probably not. Drink almost out of habit – quite possibly.

It’s a rare occasion that sees me having a drink before the sun’s over the yardarm.

renton
    Free Member

I appreciate a drink as much as the next bloke but it seems that most things revolve around having a drink.

I know of people that finish work and then do four or five cans of Stella every evening.

I also find that if your not in the click and drinking all the time then people look at you differently as though you are a bit weird!

MrSmith
    Free Member

We’ve had a few folk on here pop up and admit to being alcoholics

Probably a very small number compared to those who drink too much but don’t think that’s a problem or those that subscribe to the popular notion of “eatings cheating”, “you are gay if you don’t drink”, “real men can hold their drink” etc etc.
    There is so much socially acceptable machismo and bravado surrounding alcohol, several hundred years of indifference prevents any real change in those attitudes about the ‘British disease’.

I love booze (real beer/wine/rum/calvados/cognac/port) but for me it’s all about the quality/flavour and the social side, I don’t really understand the getting shitfaced/can’t walk/repeating yourself side of things, I mean how is that fun? It’s funny for those watching you piss your pants and vomit on the carpet but even that loses it’s attraction after a while.

milky1980
    Free Member

Used to be an all-night drinker on weekends with my mates about a decade ago. Never dependant on it but if we didn’t get drunk the night seemed wasted sometimes. As we all grew up, kids, mortgage etc we all naturally cut down to a few drinks when we did manage to get out together.

I had to stop drinking just over two years ago after two concussions/head traumas. Was given the all-clear by the docs last year and just haven’t bothered to start up again. Don’t miss it at all. I don’t go out in town on the weekends anymore purely due to the amount of people that go out just to get drunk, not going to stop their fun as I’ve been there but not the type of atmosphere I enjoy anymore.

Some of my friends do me me laugh when they say they rarely drink anymore despite the numerous wine bottles in the recycling bin! One goes through two-three bottle every week but always says she hardly touches the stuff!!

winston_dog
    Free Member

I know of people that finish work and then do four or five cans of Stella every evening.

Now although that is not healthy and it is quite fattening, it’s hardly a waking up in a pool of piss and vomit,break your marriage up,lose your job and end up on the streets level of drinking is it?

winston_dog
    Free Member

One goes through two-three bottle every week

I’m getting worried now.

So between 10 and 15 small glasses of wine a week is excessive, about 2 glasses a wine per day? Even the Italians and Spanish wouldn’t think that was a lot!

I wonder what is considered “excessive” by the majority? Nobody I know would say that was excessive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The (made-up) UK maximum guidelines are 21/14 units (M/F) and 21 units = 21 wee (125ml) glasses of win, no?

It’s a shame the guidelines were made up, it makes them meaningless IMO.

MrSmith
    Free Member

FYI That’s 12.5 units so 3x the government recommendation per day.
    (No comment on that limit or if it’s good/bad)

MrSmith
    Free Member

I see Scotland has it’s own section on the NHS website called ‘Scotland and drinking’ 😆
    Except it’s no laughing matter when you read the stats http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1741

milky1980
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call 3 bottles a week excessive either! It’s more that people don’t seem to count the odd glass or two (usually big 250ml+) at home as ‘drinking’! I never drank when at home alone as it was far too easy to polish off a few too many without realising, much more sociable to go to the pub and have your drinking limited by spending most of my time talking to people.

scotroutes

because the NHS in Scotland is, and always has been, completely separate from the NHS in EnglandandWales

Scary numbers though!

winston_dog
    Free Member

cynic-al – you are quoting figures that you know were made up and meaningless!

MrSmith – You seem to agree they are pretty hopeless “guidelines”.

Does anyone really thin that 2 small glasses of wine per day will do any real harm to the average individual?

scotroutes

3 bottles of red wine is about 30 units? Spread over a week, that’s just over 4 per day

The government advises that people should not regularly drink more than the lower risk guidelines of 3-4 units of alcohol for men

So – not much over a “meaningless” guideline.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The government advises that people should not regularly drink more than the lower risk guidelines of 3-4 units of alcohol for men

Why? On what basis? The guidelines were plucked out of thin air a few years ago.

This is the same government that most people on here do not trust at all.

Also, a great deal of effect/harm/fun people have from alcohol varies from each individual. Body mass being the most obvious one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    cynic-al – you are quoting figures that you know were made up and meaningless!

I am – I’m not holding any store by them though, but what other guidance is there?

scotroutes

Aren’t they based on the same sort of science that gave us “5 a day”?

winston_dog
    Free Member

but what other guidance is there?

None that I know off. This is part of the problem.

I would suggest that the vast majority of people who are “drinkers” will exceed that. Whatever a “drinker” might be!

Aren’t they based on the same sort of science guess work that gave us “5 a day”?

FTFY! 🙂

SnS
    Free Member

I drink frequently ( four or five times a week), but a maximum of 2 pints on each occasion. By two pints, I’m relaxed, can feel the effect & don’t actually want any more.

Had the ‘pleasure’ of go to a birthday party in a cricket club last night, sat there drinking diet coke ice & lemon whist all around various degrees of alcoholic annoyances were making their presence felt as they were obviously the funniest people ever to walk the earth.

Afterwards, we went to our local ( small place sat in the middle of nowhere and actually 6 miles from where we live), where I sat with a pint in my hand chatting to various other people of all ages & it was lovely.
    I suspect I fall into the category of a social drinker – Can’t do with being in the company of loads of p**s heads.

MrSmith
    Free Member

MrSmith – You seem to agree they are pretty hopeless “guidelines”.

No. I made no comment on their accuracy at all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

No idea – it was reported in the last few years that the UK guidelines were made up and not based on any research.

A few minutes on google shows UK is not that strict – about 2/3 the way down the table vs other countries. I couldn’t see any guidelines on the WHO site.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I drink frequently ( four or five times a week), but a maximum of 2 pints on each occasion.

I wish I could do that. I can honestly say, if I am in a pub with good beer than the chances of me stopping at 2 pints are zero!

Besides, if you nurse a pint, after about 30mins it’s pretty warm and flat. Not sure how you go about making 2 pints last even a couple of hours, nvermind longer.

scotroutes

No idea – it was reported in the last few years that the UK guidelines were made up and not based on any research.
    [/quote]Exactly my point.

Cougar

The (made-up) UK maximum guidelines are 21/14 units (M/F) and 21 units = 21 wee (125ml) glasses of win, no?

No. Herein lies the problem with “units.”

A 125ml glass of wine is, by my back-of-an-envelope reckoning, 1.6 units. So your 21 units there is 34.

Plus, who drinks 125ml glasses of wine? I’ve just measured my “small” wine glasses and a full glass is 200ml. That makes a glass of wine 2.6 units; now suddenly your ‘safe’ 21 units is actually 54.

scotroutes

That’s why I worked it out based on bottles 🙂

http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/understand-your-drinking/unit-calculator

cynic-al
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    cynic-al » scotroutes – Member

Exactly my point.

Ah. Mine too. You cold have made it a little less opaquely.

Wow Cougar, you turned my 125mm glass into a 200ml one to prove me wrong.

Great point scoring!

125ml glasses were fairly std when I started drinking, I appreciate that things may have moved on, and that I may have my maths wrong, but then the std advice was 1 125mm wine glass = 1 unit, 1 pint = 2 units.

Cougar

Great point scoring!

Oh, jog on. I’m not “point scoring,” don’t flatter yourself.

The point I was making is, it’s very easy to underestimate how much you’re drinking if you’re telling yourself “glass of wine, that’s one unit” when you’re pouring your own glasses at home.

the std advice was 1 125mm wine glass = 1 unit

Your advice, standard or otherwise, is wrong.

scotroutes

I recall that was the case too. I think it was about the time that it was considered OK to 2 pints of beer and still drive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Do we depend on alcohol to much?’ is closed to new replies.