Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do tyres lose grip with age?
  • hunta

I’ve still got the Nobby Nics on which came with the bike when I bought it new a couple of years ago. Mileage clearly isn’t high, but they’ve probably done say 1,000-2,000 miles. They’re probably a bit less knobbly (nobby?) than new, but still going strong.

A recent slide got me thinking – does the rubber inherently lose grip with age (forgetting the tread pattern)? I’ll probably wear them down regardless as I’m not that quick to notice and also quite tight, but I’d be interested to know…

retro83
    Free Member

Dunno, but nobby nics specifically lose a tonne of grip as soon as the edges of the knobbies round off. Much less than 1000 miles though, probably about 100-200.

richmtb

Some rubber compounds harden with age, giving them less grip.

Almost all harden in sunlight which is why you should always store tyres out of the light

Garry_Lager

Seems like it – dug an old tyre out now and again with the tread looking OK, and it’s been terrible.

2000 miles would be a massive amount on a tyre IMO, if you’re talking trail miles over the rocks. Guess it’s more reasonable if you’re on softer trails.

hunta

Not much scope for rocks round my way, mostly woods and fields (and a bit of tarmac) so tyres do tend to last longer.

discoduck
    Free Member

They really become much less grippy but its that slow your riding style will adjust to match it, I replaced some original High Rollers that have been on at least two other bikes, the rear was well worn to the point where all the centre section was well rounded, it certainly dragged a lot less but braking efforts were increased due to the due ramped edges rounding off, also climbing but not that noticeable in the dry weather we have had for the past 6 months !

I put HR 2’s on and when braked rear I damn near slammed against the bars, they bit dug in and stopped fairly sharpish

2,000 miles on a MTB tyre is a hell of an achievement
    Arkwright would be impressed with that !!!

Well done !

D0NK

This one was still gripping pretty well

but as I was changing this one, which had definitely lost some “bite”

I thought I’d swap them both

discoduck
    Free Member

They look like they have done at least 2,000 miles !

Is that the back end of a Bullitt ?

D0NK

heckler 🙂

probably closer to 1000 tho at a guess.

tonyd

Never mind the tyres, your missus lets you bring the bike into the house in that state D0NK?!

discoduck
    Free Member

Damn it I V nearly said Heckler, and yeah ! You obviously live on your own OR your Other half is a biker !

D0NK

My other half is a wonderfully understanding woman who only occasionally complains about mud on the carpet and the lack of storage under the stairs due to it being crammed with bikes/gear.

her only flaw is constantly refusing to try mountain biking

headpotdog
    Free Member

Not sure it makes that much difference, but I’ll check with my mate this weekend. He’s still running a 12 year old Panaracer Dart on the front of his bike 😯

votchy
    Free Member

Dunno, but nobby nics specifically lose a tonne of grip as soon as the edges of the knobbies round off. Much less than 1000 miles though, probably about 100-200.

+1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do tyres lose grip with age?’ is closed to new replies.